Bandsaw Blades - Best Place to Buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandsaw Blades - Best Place to Buy?

I have one of those little metal cutting bandsaws that use the 64-1/2" x 1/2" blades. I have tried blades from Grizzly, but the teeth always flake off at the seam where they are welded together. Then I end up with a 1" section with no teeth.

Any suggestions where to buy blades for these that will last for more than a few heavy cuts?

Thanks
    Greebe

I use bi-metal blades. They last a month or two of every day use in my 3 man shop, on stainless mostly- in other words, they work pretty good, more like 10,000 cuts than "a few".

I only buy either Lennox Diemaster II blades, or Starretts.
    I get em mailorder from places like MSC, or Enco.

Not cheap- usually around $22- $25 each. But well worth it.

Comment

Save yourself some money and grief by purchasing some good quality bi-metal blades. They will outlast cheaper bi-metal and bottom of the line carbon blades (insert here: Harbor Freight, Grizzly, etc.) many times over, saving you money in the end. They'll also cut straighter, reducing waste and stock preparation.

Enco runs occasional sales on Irwin's (nothing special, but OK). I believe MSC carries Lenox. My best luck has been with Lenox blades...

Fred

Comment

Save yourself some money and grief by purchasing some good quality bi-metal blades. They will outlast cheaper bi-metal and bottom of the line carbon blades (insert here: Harbor Freight, Grizzly, etc.) many times over, saving you money in the end. They'll also cut straighter, reducing waste and stock preparation.

Enco runs occasional sales on Irwin's (nothing special, but OK). I believe MSC carries Lenox. My best luck has been with Lenox blades...

Fred

Comment

Buy your blades from basicly anywhere that sells real industral stuff. a cheap chinese bimetal blade is like $19 vs the $25 for a top of the line from anyone else, Not worth cheaping out!
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Excellent. That is what I needed to know. 22-25$ per blade is not bad if it was last several months. The crappy Grizzly blades cost about the same and get maybe 10 cuts on 7/8" O-1 before they start falling apart. This is even with using coolant.

Only problem is that MSC and Enco don't have any bi-metal in that size. Any other places to look.

Thanks
            Greebe

Comment

Greebe, Page 594 of the 2010 Enco catalog shows Starrett blades to fit your saw. That's where I get mine.Jim
              JIM : You don't get a 2nd chance to make a 1st impression.

Comment

I got mine from McMaster. They will make up blades in any size you need.

J.

Comment

I recommend M. K. Morse Bi-Metal. If you like eBay then check out EDCO Tool here in Columbus. On eBay that have them for $40 a pair with shipping.

http://stores.ebay.com/Edco-Tool-and-Supply

Comment

On page 53 of the Feb. issue of Enco Hot Deals, they have the 64 1/2" x 1/2" x .025 thick Bi-metal blades for $14.95, regular price $24.98. Model # SZ240-4930. I cut a bunch of cast iron (the kind used for weight lifting) with it and it's held up well. They also have free shipping or 20% off any order over $99. Offer good 25th and 26th. Promo code WRSAVE. I just got an E-mail from Enco today.
                    Ernie

Comment

I know MSC carries em- I have been buying a 6 or 8 a year from them for at least ten years.

they confuse things by calling a 64 1/2" blade a " 5' 4 1/2" " blade.
                      But they do have em, from three manufacturers, in .025, and .035.
                      Some little bandsaws like the .025's better- the cheaper saws usually prefer them, as they have less resistance to that tight bend. Bent that tight, the welds tend to break less often on the thinner blades than the .035 size, but I usually run .035" blades on my Jet 4x6 saws, and they work fine. My favorite for the small stuff like 1" and under is a 10-14 TPI variable pitch.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF...0&PMT4TP=*LTIP

Comment

Anybody ever use the Simmons blades?
                        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
                        X