Clear All

• OT: Need an artificial hip joint??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

Ball gauge? Ha!

--Doozer
    DZER

Lolololol

Comment

The guy must be smoking some good stuff huh.
      It's only ink and paper

Comment

I told the seller it was a hip joint and he got all creeped out!
        He is probably trying to cash in the titanium right now for better drugs.

--Doozer
        DZER

Comment

"Art Deco handle"
          He's obviously not a Machinist.

Comment

Yeah, the seller might want to talk to this guy:
            http://dansdata.blogsome.com/2008/10/06/my-third-hip/

Comment

Well, if you are in the market, you better snap that one up before the
              the vendor talks to this fellow seller.

Comment

Don't tell Bama about this - he'll add it to the health care bill. Used parts, just like auto insurance!

Comment

Try again

I don't think its a hip joint, They look like a partial ball with a pin in them at an odd angle. That piece would be rather hard to stick down a reamed hole in the end of a femur...

Comment

It looks like the joints I've seen done on tv. They have a reamer that looks like that wedge. It's pretty neat.

http://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/hand...ficial_hip.jpg

Another off fleabay:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...26tbs%3Disch:1
                    Last edited by Jim Shaper; 02-26-2010, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kf2qd
                      I don't think its a hip joint, They look like a partial ball with a pin in them at an odd angle. That piece would be rather hard to stick down a reamed hole in the end of a femur...
                      i think it is....

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...26tbs%3Disch:1

I told the seller it was a hip joint and he got all creeped out!
                      tell him they generally take on the that colour after, ummm, recycling...but that its probably safe to handle without gloves

Comment

It is definitely a hip joint. It's the "cemented in" type that is used with methyl methacrylate cement. The large diameter of the ball indicates that it is the type that is used to replace the trochanter (ball) portion of a broken feumr as opposed to a full hip replacement where the acetablulm (socket) is also replaced. That type of replacement uses a smaller ball, say 25mm or so. The one depicted is closer to 45 mm.

The other type, called a "grow in" has a porous outside on the shaft and the shaft is perfectly cylindrical down its full length. I know because I have one.

The seller on that unit is probably smoking something or else is just having some fun with us.
                        Last edited by gnm109; 02-27-2010, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Go to the local crem' you'll probably get them for very little. Make nice door handle.
                          MBB
                          Last edited by malbenbut; 02-27-2010, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by malbenbut
                            Go to the local crem' you'll probably get them for very little. Make nice door handle.
                            MBB

I inend to stave that day off for a while. I suspect you'd be needing a court order, I mean after all, we are talking about body parts. They may be man-made but they are still body parts nonetheless.

It's in interesting idea, though. I mean it seems such a waste. Perhaps there are other items that you could obtain in that manner.

Comment

The seller on that unit is probably smoking something or else is just having some fun with us.
                              That's what I thought too until I looked at some of his other items.
                              I now think that it's his clientèle that's smoking something.

Look at this old mike for example.

This is a vintage Model 205 Electro-Voice Aircraft Microphone. This is made of heavy Bakelite and likely dates to the 1940s period. This was possibly in use on Military Aircraft of the WWII period.
                              Probably out of an old taxi, but people like to buy nostalgia and items with a historical past.

Then there's this old integrated circuit chip.

Probably been exposed to so much static over the years that it's completely useless, but it did belong to an old ex engineer for HP that may or may not have anything to do with him...whoever he was.

Nothing wrong with the seller, lots of sales, good rating.
                              Just a good salesman telling people what they want to hear.
                              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Working...
                              X