Obsolete bearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obsolete bearing?

I'm rebuilding an old Sprunger J45 jointer and the cutter head bearings (New Departure 77120A) need replacing. I have looked through NTN and Timken interchange charts and I find 0 matches, I've also looked through bearing trade numbers and again, nothing.
    A quick check with a caliper gave me these dimensions; shaft= .623, O.D.= 1.376, width= .433.
    Mcmaster-Carr has some 5/8 x 1 3/8 x 7/16 high speed bearings. Would these work or should I try to find the actual replacement?
    I've never ordered from McMaster-Carr before so I don't know if they will sell to me (I've heard horror stories that this may be true), if so, could somebody direct me to a place where I could match these bearings up.

Weird... according to this data, the 77120 is a 6202 size bearing but the bore is made to an inch dimension of 0.625

http://www.consbrgs.com/page.taf?detail=36_1_7

McMaster will sell to anyone, but the bearing you found isn't a match.
    Last edited by lakeside53; 02-26-2010, 09:34 PM.

Comment

It's just a 6202-5/8 C3 2RS
      or sometimes called 6202-10-2RS
      Any good bearing house will have it.
      Very common in Skidoos
      and there is usually a shiq load of them at the local Princess Auto here in Canada
      please visit my webpage:
      http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Comment

Hogridnfool

Is this is a jointer for Wood?
        If so there is a webside for old wood machines. Check there for advise.
        I have an old Walker Turner Jointer and had the same problem.
        That bearing is a special and not a .625. I got one some time ago but can not remember where. Find that old wood machine side and find out. I think it cost me $ 30.00 for one.
        h12721
        PS.: go to
        http://owwm.org/
        Last edited by h12721; 02-26-2010, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Hogridnfool, I suggest you lightly knurl the shaft and buy the 6202-10-2RS that motorworks suggested and use some bearing retaining locktite on it. There's no reason to buy special bearings for it.
          It's only ink and paper

Comment

Carl - I believe the shaft is already 5/8 (ignoring the "caliper" measurement).. and the -10 bearing is a special 5/8 inner bore (but available). The standard 6202 bearing would be a 35x15mm
            Last edited by lakeside53; 02-27-2010, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Hogridnfool said in post #1, "A quick check with a caliper gave me these dimensions; shaft= .623, O.D.= 1.376, width= .433."

As I understand from my memory 5/8" is .625" and his shaft is by his measurement .623" leaving .002" undersize and with a light knurl he could raise it to .002-.003" oversize and press it on with locktite.
              It's only ink and paper

Comment

Originally posted by Carld
                Hogridnfool said in post #1, "A quick check with a caliper gave me these dimensions; shaft= .623, O.D.= 1.376, width= .433."

As I understand from my memory 5/8" is .625" and his shaft is by his measurement .623" leaving .002" undersize and with a light knurl he could raise it to .002-.003" oversize and press it on with locktite.
                Sorry to have misled you, but those measurements were of the bearing itself. Hopefully in the morning I can finish the disassembly and get measurements from the casting and cutter head shaft.

Comment

Unless the shaft or housing is worn by a spun bearing, it will be pretty much the dimensions of the bearing in the link I gave you - 35mm OD, 0.625 ID.

0.623 is just typical caliper inaccuracy for ID, as is your 34.95mm of OD

Comment

If your measuring something as close tolerance as bearings you need to use micrometers and bore mic's for the measurments.

Digital or dial calipers are NOT accurate measuring tools. Vernier calipers are more accurate but still have issues measuring bores.

The calipers will give a close reading and if you want to assume it is the real dimension you can if you want to.
                    It's only ink and paper

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53
                      Weird... according to this data, the 77120 is a 6202 size bearing but the bore is made to an inch dimension of 0.625

http://www.consbrgs.com/page.taf?detail=36_1_7
                      Those inch-bore metric bearings are relatively common, especially in 5/8".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110297670252
                      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

They sure want an arm and leg or them though... $24 for a Chinese 6202-10? lol Oh well... The metric bore version of the same Chinese bearing sells for around $2.00.

But.. if you need one, at least they are available.
                        Last edited by lakeside53; 02-28-2010, 11:37 AM.

Comment

6203 bearing

I also had to work on a saw motor with the same bearing.The .625 bearing is too loose as well.
                          On the side of the bearing is printed "6203 18.75 mm". The shaft measures .623 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53
                            They sure want an arm and leg or them though... $24 for a Chinese 6202-10? lol Oh well... The metric bore version of the same Chinese bearing sells for around $2.00.

But.. if you need one, at least they are available.

Apparently all of VXB's stuff is not chinese. There are bearings from all over. So you might get a good one, who knows.

Comment

Page 5 of this PDF shows a 1623-2rs.It measures .625 x 1.375 x .4375.

http://www.aandlbearings.com/uploads...LOG_PART_I.pdf

If you have trouble finding them PM me I have a few dozen on the shelf.
                              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                              X