Quick cut knuler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick cut knuler

I am considering buying a new Quick brand cut knurler but have no idea were to find a dealer or the cost.
    I did a search but no luck.
    I would like to build the one in the hsm last issue but have a lot of outher projets that have to come first.

Any help would be app.

Steve new member
    If you want total security, go to prison.
    There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on.
    The only thing lacking...
    is freedom. Dwight D. Eisenhower

MSC carries them, the prices range in the $2000.00 +- area depending on the model for the Quick line. Dorian and some other manufacturers also make cut knurl tooling that is a bit less costly but they are still serious money.
    Jim H.

Comment

FWIW, I picked up a new in box Quick I/KF-CNC cut knurler on Ebay for $100. The -CNC suffix means it has a big rack mechanism for mounting in a CNC lathe, but that piece un-bolts.

Not a tool gloat -- they're common on Ebay.
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
        FWIW, I picked up a new in box Quick I/KF-CNC cut knurler on Ebay for $100. The -CNC suffix means it has a big rack mechanism for mounting in a CNC lathe, but that piece un-bolts.

Not a tool gloat -- they're common on Ebay.
        Thanks for your help, would you like to double your money?

steve

Comment

Why do you want a cut knurler?

Why not a forming knurler?

Comment

In the newest Home Shop Machinist there is plans for building one. Great magazine by the way, also my first post , been lurking for some time.
            jbp

Comment

Welcome Jbp.
              What state are you in?

--Doozer
              DZER

Comment

No state, province of saskatchewan. Semi retired farmer.
                jbp

Comment

Originally posted by DR

I have several forming knurlers and have used them with some success but it seams to me it would be a lot faster and much easyer on the lathe to use a cut knurler. I have a large lathe, a16x40 Grizzley I bought new about 6 years ago and a new Bridgeport type mill, Grizzly also that I bought at the same time.
                  I put the emphasis on faster because I like to build things and see the finished project. Not that I won't spend a lot of time on machining and good looks etc but forming knurllering seems like some what of a waste of time while cut knrlering is faster and great looking.
                  I hope this answers ( Why do you want a cut knurler)

stevs herman

Comment

Originally posted by jbp
                    In the newest Home Shop Machinist there is plans for building one. Great magazine by the way, also my first post , been lurking for some time.
                    This is the article tha got me going this way.I have every issue of hsm and also p in m and mw. I agree these are great magazines.

steve

Comment

Originally posted by DR

I have several forming knurlers and have used them with some success but it seams to me it would be a lot faster and much easyer on the lathe to use a cut knurler. I have a large lathe, a16x40 Grizzley I bought new about 6 years ago and a new Bridgeport type mill, Grizzly also that I bought at the same time.
                      I put the emphasis on faster because I like to build things and see the finished project. Not that I won't spend a lot of time on machining and good looks etc but forming knurllering seems like some what of a waste of time while cut knrlering is faster and great looking.

stevs herman

Comment

Originally posted by steve herman

stevs herman
                        Steve,

I have a cut knurling tool. Don't like it. Bought it mistakenly thinking it was better than a form knurler. They aren't so easy to setup.

IMO, nothing is faster than form knurling. One pass at a high feed rate. And the results are better than cut knurling. Run them dry or with coolant.

Cut knurling has some real problems in material like aluminum when you color anodize it. By nature cut knurling produces a "mush" of small chips. These chips get forced into the material surface. In the anodizing process many of these will break loose leaving a spotty appearance on dark colored anodizing. Same issues apply to an extent in brass that's to be plated.

Aluminum knurling is enough of a nightmare with form knurling, cut knurling makes it worse.

In my shop we've done large quantities of knurled parts. All of my form knurling tools have opposed knurl wheels, very little force is put on the tool holders. Quick to setup.

The inexpensive "scissor" type form knurling tools do a very good job. They're a good example of an opposed wheel knurler.

My advice is save your money for something more useful.

Comment

OK OK I give in what's a cut knurler photo's or decent explanation,please! Is that the fancy one John Stevenson bought ? how does it differ from form knurling?? Obviously it cut's rather than compresses but I have never seen one or heard of it.Alistair ps please put me out of my misery.
                          Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie
                            PS. please put me out of my misery.
                            No............

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie
                              OK OK I give in what's a cut knurler photo's or decent explanation,please! Is that the fancy one John Stevenson bought ? how does it differ from form knurling?? Obviously it cut's rather than compresses but I have never seen one or heard of it.Alistair ps please put me out of my misery.

Hi, I'll put you out of your misery. I didn't know what a cut knurler was either. A quick trip to Google found the links below. Apparently it uses hardened steel cutting teeth on an angle and cuts more than it forms. One of the links says that they aren't very common. I'll say!

Hope this helps. Remember that I helped you when J.S. didn't. LOL.

http://www.accu-trak.com/holders_cuttype.html

http://www.accu-trak.com/holders_cuttype/orissetup.html
                              Last edited by gnm109; 03-03-2010, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X