Permatex vs Dykem hi spot / prussian blue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permatex vs Dykem hi spot / prussian blue

Well, this last week I built a new cross slide table for the atlas lathe as I have alot of small line boring jobs to do soon. The making of the table went smoothly and in a days time I went from a chunk of gray cast at 4.5"x2"x12" to a nice t-slot table measuring in at 4x1-3/4x9.

After roughing out the part I went back and cut final dimensions and was pleased in general. The part sat for a few days as I had no blue or roller at the shop. I popped onto Mcmasters and ordered some Prussian blue and didn't pay much attention as I rarely if ever have an issue with quality on anything I buy through Mcmasters. Well, the next day (one of the reasons I prefer mcmasters) the blue shows up and it's Permatex brand Prussian Blue

Needless to say I got started and rolled out some blue on my nice clean plate and got it spread nicely. tried an initial transfer just for gits and shiggles to see where the part was warped (I knew there would be a little). Well, lets just say that from the get go the blue seemed awfully light, both on the surface plate and pretty light on the slide (transferred).

I'm going to make a long story short, The Permatex seems to be lacking in the color department as no matter what I did I either ended up with a near invisible haze or a blotchy mess from having to use too much just to see the stuff.

Annoyed and disheartened I wandered up and ordered some Dykem from Enco. It arrived today and through the motions I went... What an amazing difference in the quality of the paste and the depth of the color. I was easily able to get through the job in just a few short hours instead of spending hours trying to locate the blue itself on my part.

I guess in short I wanted to warn folks that IF you are intending at any point to do any scraping, do not consider the Permatex brand as it's just not up to the job. I would however have no issues using it to set up a rear end.

I love product+application compairsons like this. So many compeating products that all advertise the moon and the sun and the stars, but how many deliver and in what departments?
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Let McMaster know about your experience???
      ----------
      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Just because Mcmasters sells something doesn't mean that it's not crap. They have there share of "quality imports" just like any other supply house , they just don't advertise it.
        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut
          Just because Mcmasters sells something doesn't mean that it's not crap. They have there share of "quality imports" just like any other supply house , they just don't advertise it.
          Completely true, however seeing as I have had nothing but excellent results with Mcmaster and the products they offer I mistakenly thought nothing of just ordering... that's my bad, however, this isn't about Mcmaster, it's about the brands.

Black_Moons, glad to lay it out so no one else makes the mistake.

SGW, I do intend to.

Comment

Interesting ... my scraping project was done entirely with Permatex high-spot blue. I fought with it a little at first but I suspect most of that was due to my inexperience. I also experimented with rubbing a fine haze of oil-based yellow paint on to the part I was marking to increase contrast when trying to spot scrape beyond 30 spots per square inch. It helped a little but also made a mess. I ended up breathing on the cold part to fog it just slightly, which increased the contrast. I wonder if the Dykem blue would've been easier ... I'll have to give it a shot!

Comment

Walter, I wish I had read your post before as I just recently placed an order from Enco. Oh well, I guess it will go in the cue for the next order.

I had bought a tube of Permatex Blue many many years ago for working on cars and I always had the same experience as you: either no discernible transfer or a big blotchy mess. I always just figured that that's the way bluing worked. Now I know better. I guess I'll toss that remaining half tube of Permatex Blue away.

Thanks for the information!

Comment

there are two Dykem products, or at least there used to be. i forget the numbers. One, the high spot is as you describe. The other is exactly like the Permatex you describe. I've always scraped with the high spot and found the permatex (and Dykem's similar product) to slippery; like it wants to be wiped away when spotting.

anway, that Dykem has a product the same as the Permatex has always made me wonder if maybe they are intended to be used slightly differently; ie you were comparing apples and oranges??

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver
                  there are two Dykem products, or at least there used to be. i forget the numbers. One, the high spot is as you describe. The other is exactly like the Permatex you describe. I've always scraped with the high spot and found the permatex (and Dykem's similar product) to slippery; like it wants to be wiped away when spotting.

anway, that Dykem has a product the same as the Permatex has always made me wonder if maybe they are intended to be used slightly differently; ie you were comparing apples and oranges??

I didn't see a second similar Dykem product on their website, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist! Anyway, here is what the datasheets said... Interesting that the Dykem one specifically mentions scraping while the Permatex emphasizes its "streaky" quality...

http://www.dykem.co.uk/english/datas...pot%20Blue.pdf

http://www.permatex.com/documents/td...tive/80038.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver
                    there are two Dykem products, or at least there used to be.
                    Perhaps not anymore. I just went to ITW Dymon's web site (the company that makes the Dykem brand). The only bluing product they list is the DYKEM Hi-Spot Blue (in either tube or can).

Comment

After being under the tutelage of Forrest last weekend and still having blue on my hands I wanted to pass on some information that Don told us. There is this great water based water cleanup spotting compound available at
                      http://www.dapra.com/biax/scrapers/accessories.htm.
                      I understand its great. I am going to order some real soon.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                      X