Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for scraping-table?

Hi!

I do have some bigger parts in my scraping-queue. Therefore, I'd like to have a table. Parts are up to 1.5m (5 feet) long and weight about 400kg (800#). Column of a mill, ram of a shaper etc.

The very basic plan is to weld a frame and have a table-top that can be tilted (for dovetails). That top would be a welded frame with OSB on it, so I can screw onto whatever fixtures I want and need.
    Height adjustment should be very simple, but also very stable.

Has anybody pictures or other inspirations for me? Somehow, I don't come up with a convincing plot.

Thanks,
    Nick

If it were me, I would build the frame out of wood. It is easier to change and you can add fixtures/accessories anywhere. With air driven nails, drill driven screws and a table saw - I can assemble a custom structure for each task. They are easy to take apart later - thus take up less space. Also - wood is easy on the iron.

Comment

I'd be thinking in terms of a variation on a die cart. Height adjustment would be a scissors mechanism or perhaps just telescoping pipes with a hydraulic jack or screw for height change.

My first thought on tilt was to pivot in the center so it would be more balanced, but on reflection I'm not sure that's an issue. If a workpiece is already on the table it might be anywhere, and if not mounted, the balance isn't much of an issue. If it was pivoted at one edge that would affect workpiece height depending on whether it was toward the hinge side or opposite.

I like the OSB top. Quieter, amenable to easy temporary fixturing and easily replaceable if damaged or worn.
      "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

What ever it is, anchor the top to a wall or fixed post. It's amazing how annoying a table can be when it's jiggling.

Comment

Scraping dovetails is a lot easier if you can angle things, agreed. Making something that can handle large castings is in itself a major undertaking...you're creating lots of infrastructure at great cost to time, material and space.

I'm wondering if you maybe can 'invent' a versatile device that can be used as a welding table, engine stand, work bench, die lift....in other words create a metal workings equivalent of a large carving vise/platform...something that will deliver value long after your arms and back have recovered from scraping.

There was a guy on PM who built a large scissor lift and rotating work bench, like 4x8', maybe something like that but like 2x4 that also angle via hydraulics. You could have it on casters so it served as a die cart, but also with out riggers so it was safe holding a b port column casting at an angle.

i'm getting excited about it now

I just wouldn't want to put the effort into a stand just for scraping,

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts so far!

Stability is a mayor issue, so I neither like a scissors-thing nor tubes sliding into each other. It wouldn't matter that much for me if I'd have to unscrew a few bolts to adjust height. It's much easier to put a pallet or two in front of the table.
            My vision for tilting is to have the pivot at the end (not center). Depending on which way it is rotated, work gets higher or lower. So with a mill's column, that is already high, I could bring it down a bit (and need less pallets ).

Re space:
            I do have quite a lot (or had ), but still, that table could be used for other things or I could build it in a way that it can be disassembled in a few minutes. I really don't like the idea to screw the table to the wall, because that limits access. Remember, heavy things will come onto it, so I'll need to move things with a crane.

I already have a welding table (2 saw-horses out of steel 2.5m long + 2 I-beams 5m long). Not very handy for scraping.

I'm thinking about making it out of rect. tube 60 * 120 * 4 mm or so, so it will have a substantial weight. Cutting and welding really is no problem here.

Nick

Comment

Working...
            X