3 Phase question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Phase question

A few years ago, when I wired my shop , some of my equipment was 440/220 VAC 3 phase. So I wired my shop accordingly using power supplied from my phase converter.
    I now have a need to run a small single phase 220/230 vac motor at one of the location where 3 phase only power is available.
    The question is: Can I use one leg of the 3 phase power to run my single phase motor without and rating decoration?

Actually, I believe you would use two (2) legs of the three phase power supply to run your single phase 220/230 volt motor.
    Dom

Comment

Use the two wires from the supply that go thru the converter not the created leg should work fine.
      re
      Herm Williams

Comment

Yup. Make sure you use the line legs for single phase loads not the generated leg.

Comment

Originally posted by JCD
          A few years ago, when I wired my shop , some of my equipment was 440/220 VAC 3 phase. So I wired my shop accordingly using power supplied from my phase converter.
          I now have a need to run a small single phase 220/230 vac motor at one of the location where 3 phase only power is available.
          The question is: Can I use one leg of the 3 phase power to run my single phase motor without and rating decoration?
          What do you mean by "without and rating decoration"?

"...the location where 3 phase only power is available." This pretty well means there is no converter or generated leg.

What are the characteristics of the 3 phase power?

Comment

"decoration" means: a typo was made. The word should have been: degradation.

Comment

If you use two phases of 3 phase, you get 208v insted (Assuming its 120v 3 phase) of 240v, so you will loose a little bit of HP.
              There are 208v:240v autotransformers if its really critical.
              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
                If you use two phases of 3 phase, you get 208v insted (Assuming its 120v 3 phase) of 240v, so you will loose a little bit of HP.
                There are 208v:240v autotransformers if its really critical.

Ummm.......... NO!

If he has created 230/240 from the split 115/120V line, he will get the full 230/240 voltage across any two lines, although he needs to use the two that he powered the converter with.

208V is a line-to-line DELTA voltage, which happens to correspond with 120V WYE voltage. Only if he has a 208 line will be get 208 out, but he already said he had a phase converter making 220V, so presumably he has 120/240 input.

But if you start with the 230/240 single phase input to your converter, THAT is your line-to-line voltage.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                X