Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2" X 60-72 inch Belt Grinder build pics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2" X 60-72 inch Belt Grinder build pics.

edited to add this: This is added about 3 weeks after the first post. If you are looking for ideas on a belt grinder, make sure you go through the entire thread becauseKnucklehead and Lakeside built the belt grinders to end all belt grinders! Too bad it wasn't it's own thread but maybe this edit will help guys see it. My grinder is in use and works just fine for me but Knucklehead and Lakeside's seperates the men's from the boy's IMHO

I been talking about doing this project forever and it's finally coming to a close. I liked the KMG style grinders so I bought a bunch of 1/2" crs to start constructing one. Then, when I got it all layed out on the welding table it occured to me I should try to make a lighter one first and if it didn't work out then I'd go through all the trouble of making it out of heavier stock.

[IMG][/IMG]

Well, I'm nearly done and at this point the lighter stock looks like it's going to work just fine.

What makes mine a bit unique I think is that it will accomodate 2x60 or 2x72" belts. If you note on the image below, there is a yellow X marked on the elevator. With the elevator in down position it accomodates 60" belts just fine. When my 72" belts arrive I will raise the elevator, weld a hinge to the bottom of the elevator that will swing down and rest on the horizontal portion to hold it up. So, going from 60 to 72" belts will be just a matter of flipping the hinge down or up.

[IMG][/IMG]

My homemade hinges were a little sloppy for the tracking wheel so I had to redo them today. I slowed down and turned a new one on the lathe and it works much better. I did manage to forget to remove my Starrett tri square I paid over $150 for over 15 years ago and laced it pretty good with weld spatter. Now I'll get to look at that for the rest of my life...

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Your Old Dog; 04-05-2010, 08:44 AM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

The contact wheel is castor wheel, it's an 8" plastic/nylon/something or other type wheel with roller bearings in it. I had to mount it between centers with a dog facing the wrong way so I could true it up. At this point it is work out fine, I got it from Tractor Service Supply on the cheap for $10.00. I bought another one from Enco that is in there present catalog. It is cast iron with poly coating on it and it was $19.00. It needs to be fitted with bearings and will be used on another belt grinder I'd like to make for my wood shop.

Note the axel for the contact wheel passes through a piece of pipe on the inside of the square tubing. This allows me to tighten up the bolt without defacing the tubing. It works fine and is simple setup. I plan to have one for a 10" wheel and a series of much smaller diameter contact wheels for finger grooves and the like.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here's where I got lucky. This next shot is of my drive wheel flange bearing assembly. The KMG style grinder has beefy 1/2" thick plate mounts for the flange bearings. I'm sure it works to perfection but the thought of tapping over 30 holes by hand was a daunting task to me. While I was in Metal Supermarkets I got to looking around their structural steel stock and found a 20 foot chunk of .250 5"x5" steel square tube. I asked them for two 5" long pieces. I thought they'd tell me to go whiz up a rope but the cut it for me! It sure saved a lot of work. I mounted the flange bearings inside the tube as I was pressed for space on my steel mounting plate. The bolts go thru threaded holes from the inside out and were ground flush so you can't see them. I had to drill 2 5/8's holes in the back of the tube so I could reach the zirc grease fittings. Even if I decide to stick weld the 5x5 to a mounting plate I will still have plenty of access to the flange bearings for replacement if necessary. The top horizontal piece resting on the 5x5 is welded in place. In my mind it works terrific and was a useful shortcut.

[IMG][/IMG]

This shot was taken at night in a cluttered shop so it doesn't show well but I'll take another picture later today and post it so you can see it better. It is pictured here with a 60" belt. I still have to put a slight crown to the tracking wheel because when I lay into the grinder the belt starts to miss-track. I'm pretty sure the slight crown will take care of that.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Your Old Dog; 03-05-2010, 06:36 AM.
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Nice project. I have been planing to make one. I have been meaning to ask you, did you post a few years ago about making an inversion appliance to help your bad back. If that was you, how did it work, and did it help your back? Gary P. Hansen
      In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Comment

poor square lol. oh well, you can likey pick most of the splatter off and polish out the marks.. with a dremel, you might not even polish off much graduations.
        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I was also noticing the lumpy square.

Mine end up bent from being piled upon, but I can honestly say I've never welded anything to them.

I used a 1hp dc treadmill motor and a danfoss speed control (the treadmill one smoked in no time under grinder duty), but I want to build a new version using a 5hp 3ph motor (cause I have them) and a vfd. 1hp ain't cutting it for heavy contouring in aluminum.

Comment

That square might be the grinders first job.
            Looking forward to your other pictures as I am thinking of building one.
            Dave

Comment

Originally posted by garyphansen
              Nice project. I have been planing to make one. I have been meaning to ask you, did you post a few years ago about making an inversion appliance to help your bad back. If that was you, how did it work, and did it help your back? Gary P. Hansen
              What a great memory you have Gary, I'll be careful what I say around you! I don't remember saying I wanted one for myself but I may have. My buddy has serious spine issues and I may have mentioned making one for him. He bought one and says he gets relief from it.

Originally posted by Black_Moons
              poor square lol. oh well, you can likey pick most of the splatter off and polish out the marks.. with a dremel, you might not even polish off much graduations.
              I know what you're saying but it was pristine condition for 15 years, now it looks like something I'd expect to find in Sir Johns shop or hanging out of his back pocket at the local pub
              Last edited by Your Old Dog; 03-05-2010, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Shaper
                I used a 1hp dc treadmill motor and a danfoss speed control (the treadmill one smoked in no time under grinder duty), but I want to build a new version using a 5hp 3ph motor (cause I have them) and a vfd. 1hp ain't cutting it for heavy contouring in aluminum.
                I think the 1 1/2 hp will work fine for me. I conceed that aluminum would likely bog it down pretty quick with course grit and a little arse applied to it. I have a 4x36 linisher that is underpowered so if per chance the 1 1/2 don't work out I'll just put it on the linisher and scrap the plans to make a platen for the belt grinder.

Comment

here is a heavier one, way too heavy! I am going to make one more like yours I like size. kevin
                  http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...provements.jpg

Comment

Lookin' good, Fido. I have a 35 or 40 year old Craftsman I might be doing some mods to in the future. It's been mostly sitting for a long time. My condolences to the square.

Comment

Originally posted by kjbllc
                      here is a heavier one, way too heavy! I am going to make one more like yours I like size. kevin
                      http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...provements.jpg
                      Wow! That one has most of the scrap yard holding up the belt! I'll bet she doesn't move when ya lean on her though.

Pete
                      1973 SB 10K .
                      BenchMaster mill.

Comment

Originally posted by knudsen
                        Lookin' good, Fido. I have a 35 or 40 year old Craftsman I might be doing some mods to in the future. It's been mostly sitting for a long time. My condolences to the square.
                        Thanks for the condolences but you spelled my name wrong. It's Phideux
                        Last edited by Your Old Dog; 03-05-2010, 06:45 PM.

Comment

I was hoping the DC motor wouldn't bog so much (higher torque and all), but I've run two different ones on it and they're both just not powerful enough.

I'm only going with 5hp because I have the motors and they're nice small form factor ones. I got them in a lot of stuff that came out of KO Lee. 2 or 3hp would probably do it.

Comment

Nice job. I have a couple of questions.

1) What material did you use for the drive and tracking wheels?
                            2) How well does the plastic contact wheel hold up to the heat of grinding?
                            3) Have you thought of using a bigger diameter drive wheel to get faster belt speeds?

matt

Comment

Originally posted by mattm
                              Nice job. I have a couple of questions.

1) What material did you use for the drive and tracking wheels?
                              2) How well does the plastic contact wheel hold up to the heat of grinding?
                              3) Have you thought of using a bigger diameter drive wheel to get faster belt speeds?

matt
                              1. I used LDPE ( low-density polyethylene.) for the tracking wheels. I had bought a 4' piece 3" diameter from Enco and had it on hand. I put bearings inside of it and seems to be working fine.

2. I will hit the contact wheel with the propane torch to see how it acts. It's more like nylon then plastic. I had planned to contact cement a 2" leather belt to it to cushing the belt bump. As it is it ain't bad at all but think the leather will help it quite a bit. I'll get back to you.

3. Have not thought of a larger drive wheel. I don't think the motor would be as happy with the larger drive wheel.

Comment

Working...
                              X