Oil weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil weight

I have a 10"Atlas with Timken bearings. The book says use SAE 20 weight motor oil.
    I have found some, but I have to buy 5 gal. at one time. Also I have found some way oil, but there again 5 gal. My book reads use 122 gress on some of the gears cant find that. Also what is the best cutting oil to use?
    What type oil and gress do you use?
    Thanks, Kenny

both types of oil should be available without having to buy 5 gallons. Keysrone 122? Try a graphite grease, Lubriplate, or maybe a little hi-temp wheel bearing grease.
    gvasale

Comment

20 weight motor oil (non-detergent) is the stuff you can buy in a autoparts store for $1/quart. One quart should be enough to last you a while.

Comment

Motor oil is NOT machine oil! Use the right stuff.
        ----------
        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Use compressor oil,it just fine,on the timken bearings you wont need much anyway.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I agree with Weird, compressor oil works for machine oil. For grease, I use lubriplate or Slick 50 grease. As far as lube for turning, I generally use what is in the Machinery's Handbook, which can be kerosene, lard, tapping oil, vegitable oil, and the list goes on. If you want to watch your calories use Canola oil. :-)

Jerry

Comment

SGW....

Motor oil lubricates bearings, in many cases ball or roller bearings...(speaking of non-detergent oil of course).....bearings at speeds up to the low thousands RPM

Machine oil lubricates bearings, in many cases ball or roller bearings.....at speeds up into the thousands of RPM....

Hmmm, there is a pattern here....

What do you see as the difference, other than any possible additive package...?

Comment

I use SAE10 motor oil on my 10in Atlas and it has cleaned up the ways and runs just fine. A little 80 wt. gear lube on the change gears keeps them nice and quiet. I understand there are special lubes for just about anything but I am keeping it simple and doing just fine.
                Jim

Comment

One major difference is that motor oil is designed to emulsify with water, because the oil will get hot enough in use to boil it out. Machine oil, on the other hand, is designed to precipiate water because machine tool bearings (one hopes!) don't get anywhere near hot enough to evaporate water out of the oil, and you don't want water being carried through precision bearings.
                  ----------
                  Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                  Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                  Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                  There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                  Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                  Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

SGW,

That is undoubtably one of the things the detergent additives do, emulsify water. It's what detergents do. However, non-detergent oil...
                    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 11-16-2003).]

Comment

The Atlas lathe book I have was published in 1937. It says on one page to use machine oil with SAE #10 weight. Next page says to use SAE #10 motor oil.
                        We must remember that oils have changed considerably in the last 60+ years.
                        Machine oil is the proper oil to use. Motor oil has emulsifiers as mentioned and detergents. Emulsifiers keep water in suspension to be cooked off by engine heat. Detergents keep dirt and impurities in suspension to be removed by filters. This is why motor oil should not be used in machine tools. Machine oil, spindle oil, turbine oil or hydraulic oil are acceptable for use. 10 weight is usually sufficient. Motor or engine oil is to be avoided.
                        Way oil is specially formulated for the extreme pressure in machine slides and to eliminate slip-stick. Once you have tried it, you will be amazed at the difference.
                        Mc Master Carr and MSC offer these lubricants in one gallon containers for $8.00-$10.00 or so. They are easy to get and inexpensive. It is not worth using substitutes.
                        Jim H.

Comment

This topic sure comes up a lot. I did some research. Non-detergent motor oil and Compressor oil are virtually identical to Spindle oil.

They are made from a number of interchangeable highly refined petroleum bases. They contain an additive package containing Zinc Alkyl Dithiophosphate, a wear inhibitor. The only possible difference in the motor oil is that it may contain a rust inhibitor equal to less than 0.3% content.

Here are the descriptions by NOCO Inc.:

Non-detergent SAE motor oil;

Non-Detergent Inhibitor and Anti-Wear Lubricants

Compressor Oil

Used for many types of reciprocating and centrifugal air compressors, as well as a general machining lubricant, plain and anti friction bearings, light duty gears and other general purpose areas.

Spinlube spindle oil

Formulated to meet the severe lubrication demands of high speed rolling bearings on the spindles of modern spinning frames and automated machine tools.
                          --------------------------------

The only real difference I was able to find was in waylubes, and even then only certain types that had additional additive packages.

Here are the CAS lubricants #s used in ND motor oil:

64742-62-7
                          64742-65-0
                          72623-87-1
                          72623-86-0
                          64741-88-4
                          64742-54-7

Here are the ones used in spindle lube:

64741-88-4
                          64742-65-0
                          64742-54-7
                          64742-46-7
                          72623-86-0
                          72623-87-1

Both contain Zinc additive packages in similar amounts. Note: the lubricants above are listed as interchangeable lubricants.

It doesn't look like there is much difference or much risk to using the appropriate weight of ND motor oils.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 10-28-2003).]
                          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Dan, I don't think the guys are implying that the world will end if different lubes are used, just that the costs are so small that it often isn’t worth the time or the risk to mess around.
                            Remember, Oso, SGW, and MANY others, have forgotten more then we are likely to ever know about some of this stuff. They are also good about not spouting information off if they can't back it up. That is why we come here to request their sage assistance. It's the ones who give opinions and state them as fact that you gotta watch out for!

Comment

Kenny, Enco sells way oil and spindle oil in 1 gal. containers, about $12 ea. on the web www.use-enco.com. Mobile Vactra and Velocite. There are others, even some in qts. This beats tripping over a 5 gallon drum for the next ten years!
                              I'm here hoping to advancify my smartitude.

Comment

Working...
                              X