OT- Best cheap 5.1 receiver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT- Best cheap 5.1 receiver

I looked at the wiring of my room mates HD tv and found that the entire time we were watching 1080i with the analog rf connection... Plugged in the HDMI and he was cursing left and right and was in shock... Anyhow, I need a decent cheap 5.1 surround receiver so I can use the surround sound with everything, not just the DVD player...
    I am NOT an audiophile, I just want functionality. I do not care about upscaling of the DVD, or sound zones, or any of that junk. 2 HDMI inputs, or 1 HDMI input and component input, 1 HDMI output to the TV.
    Budget is around 200$ max..
  • PixMan
    • Sep 2009

My son recently picked up a Harmon Kardon AVR25 MkII for $20. It wasn't working, that's why he got it cheap. He cracked it open, replaced a fuse and gave it to me. I LOVE it! I have it hooked up to a pair of Hafler 200 (front) and Infinity SS2000 (rear) speakers and a Polk subwoofer. For now I have to use my 42" Toshiba Regza HDTV as the center speaker. Also hooked up to the receiver is a cheap Audio Technica turntable and a classic NAD 6340 cassette deck.

I don't think my 20 year-old son knows what those last two components are used for, but so what. I don't have much money in the system since the Hafler's and the NAD deck were paid for in 1988 and everything else was under $100 each.

Here's what my free receiver is:

Premium speakers from AKG such as wireless bluetooth speakers, Android & iOS headphones, soundbars, subwoofers, home theater systems, computer speakers, & iPod/iPhone docks. Get the best sound for music, smartphones, tablets & TVs with AKG speakers.

You would need to go to a AVR347.1 to get HDMI input/outputs, but it's a 7.1 system. No matter, you can skip the extra speaker outputs. Those AVR347's are all over Ebay, some for under $200
    Last edited by PixMan; 03-05-2010, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• rkepler
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by RB211
      Anyhow, I need a decent cheap 5.1 surround receiver so I can use the surround sound with everything, not just the DVD player...
      This might be obvious but did you check to see if your DVD player has a stereo audio input? Mine does, and it does the Dolby surround sound decoding off the inputs just fine when I tell it to use the audio inputs.

Comment

• Your Old Dog
        • Dec 2004

In this day and age, even the worst of them sound terrific. Therefore, you want to look for gobs of fiber optic inputs and hdmi inputs. I have a 550 Sony which is a lessor model. It sounds great but I need a few more optical inputs and a coaxial input. I bought Sony receiver because my TV is Sony and the menus and some other features will marry together. I'd suggest you stay with the name brand of your TV if possible. Don't forget the sub-woofer. It brings the entire system to life. The Receiver will ask you in setup if you have a subwoofer. If you answer yes then it takes all that bass responcibility away from the much smaller satelite speakers and they sound great once they don't have to deal with the base. I have an RCA 250 watt sub and I can make you think it's raining outside while watching the movie Perfect Storm (well, my wife did anyway!)

(I only have a 100 watt sub in the shop but I gutted the rest of my shops 5.1 system from old living room set. Hell, even Hank Snow sounds great on it. !)
        Last edited by Your Old Dog; 03-05-2010, 05:54 PM.
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by rkepler
          This might be obvious but did you check to see if your DVD player has a stereo audio input? Mine does, and it does the Dolby surround sound decoding off the inputs just fine when I tell it to use the audio inputs.
          It has no inputs.

Thanks guys for the help

Comment

• Sportandmiah
            • Jan 2009

Onkyo is a favorite at avsforum.

Comment

Working...
            X