Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you mount and center D1-3 collet chucks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you mount and center D1-3 collet chucks?

I've just received a new D1-3 5C collet chuck.
    It is a no-brand Chinese chuck.
    What is the procedure to mount and center it?

Thanks

You just poke the three pins into the three holes on the spindle nose and tighten the three cams. I just pull them all in a bit in turn then go round again tightening them.
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

What Peter said.

But check the taper and see if it's off, then chuck something straight and make sure things are axial. If not you might pull the backplate off the chuck (looks like it a separate piece), mark the pins 1-2-3 for the spindle nose and take a cleanup pass when mounted on the spindle. Things should come in axial at that point. If there are still issues you might find that the taper has to be ground in place.

Comment

Another possibility if the chuck is not concentric and you are feeling lucky is to remove the backplate and index the chuck around to find a more concentric set of holes.
        I've never had this problem as I make up collet chucks on the lathe. It's not hard and at least gets the things concentric.

Michael

Comment

Just try it first.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Might seem a darft question, but you do have a D1-3 spindle?? Seems a strange request.Especially on a self centreing ( Centering) mount.

Regards Ian.
            You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Not a daft question at all. After all if the chuck is off, it would be obvious to any one.
              More "daft" questions:
              Is the chuck off?
              If not a D1-3 spindle nose, why did you buy it?

Comment

I bought one of these identical for £100 delivered .I have nothing but praise for it ,it works Great. Then I bought on of his lordships designs for a 5c collet chuck which fits into this and accepts er 32 collets I bought that but have not yet tried it, as I have faith in the good man enough to buy and sleep soundly on his well founded good name.You should be delighted with this have fun and good luck Ps it should fit just like any other of your chucks.I suppose you've fitted one of them before have you? Grandpa Alistair
                Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Originally posted by Circlip
                  Might seem a darft question, but you do have a D1-3 spindle??
                  Originally posted by tdmidget
                  More "daft" questions:
                  Is the chuck off?
                  Come on guys, I am a newbee not a dummy.
                  The reason I asked is that I already have mounted it and it is not concentric. I have not tried remounting on different pins.

I took the back plate/collet chuck off to inspect it.
                  The back plate was probably dropped on the edge and had a little bump. I carefully filed it off. Then I put a piece of 600 sandpaper on a granite plate and very lightly sanded(just a dozen of figure 8 movements) the back plate to make sure nothing protrudes.

I am going to remount it and see if this bump was causing the problem.

Comment

BTW What makes the D1-3 mount self centering?

The pins and the holes that pins go into are not precisely machined or ground. There is some degree of play.
                    How come there is no provision for fine adjustment on D-1-3 mount?

Comment

It relies on the short taper.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Alex;

I bought a bison collet chuck and carefully turned the adaptor plate and still had a small amount of runout. .003 or .004 if I remember correctly.

One problem is these chucks can have is the mounting surface can bes slightly out of square with the cylindrical axis. I have a friend that setup a 1" dia pin perpendicular on his surface grinder. Put a 1" collet in the collet chuck and mounted the collet chuck to the pin. Ground the back side of the chuck. He said his chuck was perfect after that.

I had a different approach. I turned down the mounting hub on the adaptor plate to .004" undersized so the collet chuck would be adjustable. Next I drilled and tapped some 10-32 holes and use button head screws to adjust the collet chuck for runout. This worked out well for me.

Outback
                        Last edited by outback; 03-08-2010, 12:04 AM.
                        So much to learn, so little time

Comment

Originally posted by AlexK
                          BTW What makes the D1-3 mount self centering?

The pins and the holes that pins go into are not precisely machined or ground. There is some degree of play.
                          How come there is no provision for fine adjustment on D-1-3 mount?
                          It's self centering because the short taper on the machine's spindle nose is supposed to lightly interfere with the female taper on the chuck, while the flat faces around the pins pull into tight contact (no gap anywhere). Assuming the spindle nose is decent, and you've got no chips caught in the gaps, the chuck should center every time. Mine do.

Comment

Just the way you tighten the mounting screws on the backplate will affect the truness of the chuck quite a bit. I bought one for a D8 nose lathe at work,and by tweaking ALREADY tightened mounting screws,got it to run to .0001"

Comment

Working...
                            X