Safety First

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OH&S from the USA and else-where

Here are a few pointers as regards shop clothing and safety - from the Thompson River University in the USA.

It is a site that is well worth a poke around in.

They make a lot of sense to me.

Personal Clothing
    Personal clothing often provides a first level of protection against injury. All employees/students shall equip themselves with clothing suitable for protection against the natural elements to which the persons will be exposed while engaged in TRU activities.

When working in any position where they are exposed to potentially hazardous conditions, persons will be required to wear the following clothing to provide basic protection:

•Long sleeved shirts or blouses
    •Long pants
    •Footwear which encloses the foot
    Where there is a danger of contact with moving parts of machinery or with electrically energized equipment or similar hazards:

•clothing shall fit closely about the body, and
    •dangling neckwear, bracelets, wristwatches, rings or similar articles shall not be worn, and
    •head and/or face hair shall be confined or worn at a length which will prevent it from being snagged or entangled in the work activity or process.
    http://www.tru.ca/hsafety/workinglea...equipment.html

http://www.tru.ca/hsafety/workinglea...ely/rules.html

And:
    http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&q=wo...e49ba9ead933c3

And:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OH%26S

Quite a topic - ain't it?

Comment

My first wife used to take her wedding ring off when she went out for "Girls night out".----Don't think it was safety related though.
      Brian Rupnow

Comment

I don't wear a ring, but I used to wear a wristwatch. I can't remember how many times it got caught on something and broke off. I don't wear one now.

I got punched in the cheek about a week ago by one of the chuck jaws on the lathe. I had it running at about 20 rpm, and went in for a really close look at the shaft I had turning. I was paying attention to the jaws coming around, but still I got clipped a bit. No damage, but a wake-up anyway. Sometimes I need a microscope that I can set up like you would a dial indicator.

I'll never forget one guy where I used to work who was changing the blade on the table saw. He had the nut loose and was unscrewing it when his tape measure (on his belt) hit the green button. He was really lucky, got only a few cuts. If the spindle had grabbed the blade and accelerated it, he would likely have lost his hand. As it was, there was this guy, as white faced as I've seen, standing there frozen, waiting for the loose blade to come to a stop so he could pull his arm out of the hole.
        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

When we first got married 147 years ago this year, Gert asked me if I wanted a ring as well.
          Because I had seen accidents with rings and worked a lot on truck electrics at the time, 24 volt on the back of an ammeter isn't very forgiving, I declined and never had one.

In fact I own no personal jewellery at all, no watches, cuff links, tie pins etc, I'm very grateful to my modest mobile phone as at least it tells the time as well

I get a bit pissed off with having safety thrust down my throat, safety is a frame of mind not a set of rules to be followed.

Twice a week we have our grand daughters straight from school, if the weather is fine they ask me to close the yard gate because they know they can't play on the yard on bikes, scooters etc if the gate is open.

I close the gate and walk round the yard moving anything that has sharp edges, placing pallets round objects that could hurt them if they ran into them.
          It's automatic, I don't need no stinking list.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

rings and drill press

One story I've heard is holding a part on the drill press, drill through the part and into the ring, and the bit walks across the ring and severs the finger.

Don't know if its a scary story or a real occurrence.

My wife insisted I wear my ring when I went back to grad school, otherwise it's been with my car keys for 19 years.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
              It's automatic, I don't need no stinking list.

I wonder at what age that became true. Or was it always?

I used to think I didn't need lists one day when I got into my plane to go for a ride. I'd done it a zillion times - this time I didn't do the list. When I landed I discovered the air inlet covers were still in place as it was nest building season for the birds and I'd forgotten I'd installed them.

Once in a while I wonder what else I forget.

Comment

One of the issues with rings isn't just that it can compound damage that would occur anyways- but the fact that it can take a more innocuous injury and make it more severe. Most notably is that if, say, your finger catches a misplaced hammer swing or gets closed in a door and the ring isn't removed soon enough the finger will swell, cut off circulation, and pretty much ruin your day. Many urgent care centers/emergency rooms have hardware on hand to cut rings off for this very reason. It's part of the reason I told my fianceé that as cool as it'd be for me to have a titanium, tungsten, cobalt, or stainless steel ring, I was going to have to settle for silver, platinum, or white gold simply because they're a helluva lot easier to remove (can be snipped off as opposed to resorting to a grinder).

With any luck I'll be able to get away with not having it on my hand (as I view jewelry with a healthy amount of disdain).

Comment

I had a shop teacher in the air force. They had a bunch of troops loading up in a plane of some sort and a guy slipped and tried to grab the bottom of the door sill on his way down. Hooked his ring on something sticking out and lost the finger. Not shop related...but yikes. Never would have seen that one coming.

Comment

I wear a titanium ring 24/7 and it has actually saved my finger from some hurts.

It stopped a motor and tranny from smashing my finger between the motor mount and the chassis. It stopped something else from hapening as well but I don't remember what it was.
                    Andy

Comment

Google "finger deglove" for some grizzly results of rings hanging on something. Fifty years ago when I stopped wearing a ring wife got really upset until I showed her the results of a chatching it on something.
                      re
                      Herm Williams

Comment

It ain't

If only shop safety were limited to whether you wear a ring or a watch to the exclusion of any or all (other) risk factors.

But it ain't.

Comment

i once heard a story about a guy who caught his wedding band on his seat belt buckle or something as he jumped out of his big, lifted 4wd truck.

the ring/finger stayed in the cab and he was on the ground screaming in agony a few seconds later.

i may have heard that story here, now that i think about it, but it's enough to scare me out of every wearing anything on my fingers/wrists/neck

i plan on getting a "ring" tattooed on when the time comes
                          -paul

Comment

I was working on top of a walkin cooler one day and when I started to climb back down onto the ladder, the ladder slipped out from under me and I hung my ring on a nail that was used to fasten the edge trim onto the roof panel. I was lucky that I had enough upper body strength to pull myself back up and off of the nail. That could have turned out real nasty.
                            These days I no longer wear any kind of metal. I broke my wedding band somehow and took it off to be repaired and never wore it again, and I wear a pager and a phone and they both contain clocks. I haven't worn a watch in about 25 years.

Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie
                              If only shop safety were limited to whether you wear a ring or a watch to the exclusion of any or all (other) risk factors.

But it ain't.
                              I agree wholeheartedly, but it is sometimes worth discussing the less obvious/thought about consequences of things one doesn't ordinarily think about.

Comment

Originally posted by psomero
                                i plan on getting a "ring" tattooed on when the time comes
                                That's a good alternative.... unless you end up in divorce.

Comment

Working...
                                X