OT: Save Any Picture On Your Screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Save Any Picture On Your Screen

Someone asked about saving an image from E-bay in another thread. I thought I would post a very general technique in a separate thread so it would be easily searchable.

On a PC, as opposed to a Mac, to save anything on your screen, simply press the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard. This saves the screen image to the clipboard. Then open the 'Paint" program (Start, Programs, Accessories, and Paint) and after it starts, press Ctrl-V to paste the screen image into the blank canvas.

You can use the positioning and cropping abilities or Paint to select the part of the image you want and then save it.

This will work with any and all images on a PC's screen. Any program. It is a completely universal technique.

There is probably a similar way to do this on a Mac, but I don't know what it is.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore

There is probably a similar way to do this on a Mac, but I don't know what it is.
    On the Mac you press Shift+Splat+4. The mouse pointer becomes cross-hairs and you drag it over the area of interest. It will be saved on your desktop.

To grab the entire screen you press Shift+splat+3.

If you want the screen shot to go to the clipboard instead of to a file, press the control key and the above keys.

The "splat" key is the one with the Apple logo and the St. Hannes's Cross on it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Hannes_cross

It's easier to say and spell "splat".

Comment

Paul,

That's how I've been doing it too (except I paste into Powerpoint, and save as a .jpg).

Ian
      All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

This will work with any and all images on a PC's screen. Any program. It is a completely universal technique.
        Not quite Paul. It will not capture any image that is displayed using screen overlay. That means it won't capture images from media player for instance even if they are paused. There are tools available that will capture an overlay but the print screen function will not.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

If you run Windows as a virtual machine on a Mac then the shift+splat+N will work - all screens are decoupled from the Windows layering by the time the VM is done.

Comment

I use a program called Snag-It. Start it up, set the method of capture you want, then set a hot button or sequence. I can't say it will run on every computer, or capture every wanted image, but it has never failed me. I can capture screen saver images without losing them due to a button push, which would normally cancel the screen saver and put you back where you were before-

You can set the mode of capture, so if you want to select an area to capture, a button push gets you a 'select' function, and you pull that to the first corner, then drag to an opposite corner. That selection is automatically held in another window from where you can name it, etc. Or you can set up an automatic save, which will simply number the images in order as you 'snag' them.

The program ran on '98 and it runs on xp. Maybe it will do what you want.
            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore
              simply press the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard. This saves the screen image to the clipboard.
              This will capture the entire screen. If you just want to capture the active window, then press Alt-'Print Screen'.

Comment

Guess I"m missing something here:

Normally I just right click and choose "save image as" and then choose a folder to put it in.

If it's a video, I right click on the videos icon and choose "save target as".

Only on images that will not allow me the above, I do a ctrl prnt screen command.
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
                  Guess I"m missing something here:

Normally I just right click and choose "save image as" and then choose a folder to put it in.

If it's a video, I right click on the videos icon and choose "save target as".

Only on images that will not allow me the above, I do a ctrl prnt screen command.
                  That would be the easy way if you dont want to edit the image right away through paint

Comment

If it is just an image, I just click it and grab it with my mouse cursor and then drop it on my desktop or into whatever folder I want to put it into. pretty simple

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                      Not quite Paul. It will not capture any image that is displayed using screen overlay. That means it won't capture images from media player for instance even if they are paused. There are tools available that will capture an overlay but the print screen function will not.

If you're trying to save a screenshot of a VIDEO, it won't work unless you disable acceleration:
                      In windows media player/ Options/Performance Tab, move the Video Acceleration slider all the way to the left.

Comment

Originally posted by KillerMike
                        If you're trying to save a screenshot of a VIDEO, it won't work unless you disable acceleration:
                        That's if you're using the hardware overlay. Most media players (with the notable exception of Media Player) have an option to do a screenshot (bit blit) of the hardware overlay.
                        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I also use Media Player Classic but the screen shot function doesn't work with my video card for some reason. Maybe you know more about it Robert?

I have the Nvidia GTS 250 with 1 gig of DDR3 using the latest driver.
                          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

There was a problem with Windows screen double buffering (around year 2000) where remote access tools could not function correctly. In particular, the free VNC product which gives remote access to Windows desktop could not render screens that had layered objects. Case in point would be a mouse-over pop-up that is an active element that, if clicked on, would generate a report on the object's properties. One could see it on the local screen and click it, but the remote screen never showed that object.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                              I also use Media Player Classic but the screen shot function doesn't work with my video card for some reason. Maybe you know more about it Robert?
                              Unfortunately, Media Player Classic was abandoned in 2006, so it doesn't know how to handle DXVA (DirectX Video Acceleration) overlays. It uses the old overlay mixer by default. If you switch the renderer to DirectShow Video, you can screengrab:

MPC Options -> Playback -> Output -> DirectShow Video.

There's also a group of guys who picked up the Media Player Class code and are using it as the basis for a high-fidelity Home Theater player ("Media Player Classic-HTPC") and it now naively supports DXVA overlays (and can screenshot them):

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpc-hc/

Mplayer and BSPlayer (freeware) both support screenshots of overlays out of the box, as does recent versions of PowerDVD and WinDVD.
                              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Working...
                              X