Is it Christmas yet ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it Christmas yet ?

Been rushing round like a one armed paper hanger today and not getting anywhere fast.

Got a set of slip rings in, a stack of 12, what we call Christmas trees hence the title.
    Three of the rings had no contact and two rings were connected so turn to lot off the former as they are all bonded from new and start again.

Turned 12 rings out of phossy bronze 82mm by 8mm wide and the tufnol spacer to match and drilled all the rod holes for the connector rods.

This is where I got to at knock off tonight, all the rings and spacers done and two rings glued to the former so I can start on the assembly tomorrow.
    Only had a couple of small jobs in today and been working on this all day and not seemed to get anywhere.

Both armatures on the bench are out of fork trucks and both need a respline where the hydraulic pump fits in the end, one should have gone out today but the gear cutters sent the wrong splined inserts.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Nice John
    Me, I am having a hell of a month this week
    Spent the am on board measuring holes for prop shaft bearings.
    Got 12 Thordon marine bearings to machine in the am.
    http://www.thordonbearings.com/
    Did 4 yesterday.
    Each one produces enough 'string' to fill a large recycleing bag
    Bloody mess.
    I will take pics on Thursday, if I have time.
    eddie
    ps Trade you the boat work for the motor work !!
    please visit my webpage:
    http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Comment

Bugger off, I can't swim...................

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Damn good thing they didn't want 14 done or you'd of had to get another workbench
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Motorworks, doesn't that thordon use water for the lube? Tug boats here use thordon bearings for the prop shafts because of all the sand, if I'm not mistaken.

Patrick

Comment

Yes
            They use water.These are going in our Coast Guard Boats
            please visit my webpage:

Comment

Christmas is on hold

Got a Fred Flintstone inverter in for repair - the bearings have gone, pics at 5:00

Comment

Well?
                Its at least twenty past six.....

Dave
                Just south of Sudspumpwater UK

Comment

Originally posted by small.planes
                  Well?
                  Its at least twenty past six.....

Dave
                  He's gone down the pub instead......

Tim

Comment

What a splendid idea

Dave
                    Just south of Sudspumpwater UK

Comment

Great idea, the pub. Went there last night. Didn't do me a lot of good- here I am at home today typing on the computer instead of being at work-
                      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by Timleech
                        He's gone down the pub instead......

Tim
                        How did you know ?
                        Steak night tonight £5.49 for a steak, chips and salad and a pint, clincher was, Gert was paying.

Anyway here a Fred Flintsone inverter or VDF

This is what we used to use before electonic VFD's.

A motor generator, feed it 440 volt and get 240 volt out at 400 hz, mind you this is a big bugger though, runs a ring main round a woodworkshop to supply current to a row of copy routers.

Probably 10" diameter on the big bit and 40 odd inches long, bearing has welded itself to the tail end, meaning it's been cut off, turned undersize, welded up and turned back to 50mm diameter.

Christmas tree got finished last thing and gone back to get baked overnight, will get it back tomorrow for final skim and assemble the terminal block.

Comment

From previous pictures, that chip pan looks like your floor, Sir John.
                          ...I really like the way you work!

I might add...when..er IF I get into a project, I'll work until there is no room to move around.
                          Last edited by Deja Vu; 03-11-2010, 05:43 PM.
                          John M...your (un)usual basement dweller

Comment

John
                            You are the Tom Waits of the machineshop....
                            Things all over the place, but when its done what comes out is
                            beautiful.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHP-y...om=PL&index=47

eddie
                            please visit my webpage:

Comment

At least working on ring shapes we come back to the start point or maybe vanish Still the world goes round, Nice work Sir John, I have a feeling down your way, if you were not around, there would be a lot of unhappy static bunnies with no one to bail them out, folk able to do the unusual job of work are rapidly vanishing from the radar.

Comment

Working...
                              X