OT- Motorcycle Accessory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT- Motorcycle Accessory

The other day a big Harley passed me , and he had what looked like "trainer wheels" on either side of his rear wheel. Looking more closely, I noticed that a frame member connected the two wheels , passing in back of the rear fender of the Harley, and a trailer ball was mounted in the center. I've seen motorcycles before towing small trailers, but never with those two extra wheels . Are those extra wheels rigidly mounted to the cycle frame or suspension, making the bike esentially like a three wheeler, or can the motorcycle bank left and right independently of the extra wheels ? Are the two wheels designed to stabilize the bike when it's parked with the trailer attached ?

Those wheels are able to descend and hold the bike when it comes to a stop. I can't remember the name but I've seen them many times at bike meets and they do work. It's for folks who are either short of stature or who have some weakness in their legs which prevents normal handling at low speeds.

They are up and out of the way when the machine is underway.

Comment

That makes sense, since the motorcycle riders passing me were members of a war veterans club. Thanks .

Comment

Originally posted by Bill736
        That makes sense, since the motorcycle riders passing me were members of a war veterans club. Thanks .

I looked around and found one of the companies that build the add-on wheels for bikes. Here's a link.

http://www.trikealternative.com/pdf-...ct-A-Trike.pdf

Comment

There are a variety of add-on wheels available. A pure trike kit, full-size outboard wheels, and assistive, or stopping wheels. Stopping wheels raise and lower and aid disabled riders and riders with big loads to stay upright at stops.

The full-size outboard wheels are typically for more severely handicapped riders, and there's just a whole bunch of riders that like pure trikes and sidecars.

Here's the Trikes album on my Virtual Bar and Grill site:

http://thevirtualbarandgrill.com/gallery/trikes01

My favorite side car is in the British Iron section:

http://thevirtualbarandgrill.com/gallery/british01

Comment

The beauty(???????) about the sidecar brigade after WW2 over here (UK) was that the whole family could go out on trips to the country side and coast and most would be dry. Cos we weren't as rich as the transatlantics, the motorbike was THE form of transport of neccesity, so adding a "Chariot" meant you could carry more than one extra.

Used to work with a guy that had one of the very same (Either a Busmar or a Canterbury "double adult") and on a couple of occasions when my own solo was off the road, spent one or two terrifying rides in the bl**dy thing. Being sat inside a coffin, in front of the wheel with a nutter racing and overtaking cars brought one or two cold sweats.

Then there was the time I repaired and brought home a bike fitted with one for a mate. He ROTFLHAO looking at my green face.

"Safest thing on the road" - - B*****ks, and Sir John is probably going to dissagree. I would rather try to slit my wrists with a piece of tubing than own one.

Only thing worse was the Reliant Robin, and note that IS the correct way round for the title.

Regards Ian
            You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

The ultimate outrigger setup has to be on the Peraves Ecomobile and the more recent Monotracer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9-hMlN19NE
              Paul Compton
              www.morini-mania.co.uk
              http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

nice bikes but not priced that everyone can afford to bad , oh well

Comment

Originally posted by Circlip
                  The beauty(???????) about the sidecar brigade after WW2 over here (UK) was that the whole family could go out on trips to the country side and coast and most would be dry. Cos we weren't as rich as the transatlantics, the motorbike was THE form of transport of neccesity, so adding a "Chariot" meant you could carry more than one extra.

Used to work with a guy that had one of the very same (Either a Busmar or a Canterbury "double adult") and on a couple of occasions when my own solo was off the road, spent one or two terrifying rides in the bl**dy thing. Being sat inside a coffin, in front of the wheel with a nutter racing and overtaking cars brought one or two cold sweats.

Then there was the time I repaired and brought home a bike fitted with one for a mate. He ROTFLHAO looking at my green face.

"Safest thing on the road" - - B*****ks, and Sir John is probably going to dissagree. I would rather try to slit my wrists with a piece of tubing than own one.

Only thing worse was the Reliant Robin, and note that IS the correct way round for the title.

Regards Ian

I take it you don't like sidecars then, eh? Well you folks were the ones who invented them, foisted them off on us and now you disown then, eh? Is that it?

Bloody cruel trick, Id' say.......tubing you say......?
                  Last edited by gnm109; 03-12-2010, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Yer didn't have to copy us??

One sidecar that did have class was the Stieb, single seat bullet shaped, looked fast standing still.

Still wouldn't have one though.

Regards Ian.

Comment

Definite skill to driving [ not riding ] one of those things, you either have it or you don't.

I don't.

Borrowed a friends BSA [ Bits Stuck Anywhere ] M20 side valve one day with just a chassis on it to get to work when my POS van wouldn't start.

To say this thing was only capable of 50 mph flat out it was still a very worring ride, especially on left handers with having no ballast.

Fortunately for this journey I was wearing my brown work trousers so nothing except the smell was obvious. I was dreading the trip home until I spotted two scrap 9.00 x 20 truck wheels complete with tyres and tubes.

These were liberated and tied onto the chassis which helped no end, on giving the bike back my friend was very bemused at the wheels and couldn't see what I wanted with them.

As I say you either have the skill or don't.

Now the Reliant is a story all of it's own............

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Yep, no spare tyre and a "Chassis" made out of 42SWG to get under the weight limit.

Comment

Originally posted by Circlip
                          Someone recently pointed out that it is legal to carry more people on a motorcycle combination than many cars in New Zealand.

All cars must have seat belts for all seats, and many small cars only have two seat belts in the rear seat, maximum 4 persons on board. A motorcycle side car can carry 3, plus pillion, plus rider so thats 5 on the combination.

Comment

Talking panthers and sidecars ..here's all ..plus my hometown

panther and sidecar...i think

from 4:12 Min's on .

don't fall in love with Olive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGLK1jXx1Rk

all the best.markj
                            Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 03-12-2010, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Try again Mark, that big multi pointed star on the tank means it's a Beezer, shame on you.

Regards Ian

Comment

Working...
                              X