Not alot of info in the ad, and hard getting through on phone
    to these folks -- they're machine resellers -- I'm guessing they
    just want you to show up with your wallet and not ask too
    many questions.

Can get this for about twice the price of the Myford ML7 I
    mentioned in the other post --

Thanks again.
    -Tony

Its a Colchester Student or a Master. One of the later models of a roundhead, very little difference in the mechanics to the later square head model. I would rather have this than a Myford the Colchester may already be able to cut metric.
    MBB
    Last edited by malbenbut; 03-12-2010, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Looks like the baby brother of mine.

Mine is a Round head 15x60, I too believe that is either a student or a master. Mine has been an excellent machine. Very well built and rigid. Here is a link to the Colechester "student" manual. Click for manual

Later,
      Jason

Comment

Sometimes called "Colchester Dominion" these lathes were sent to Canada and the US. This is the one I own,,, clean eh!

Comment

Tony,
          English version of the Colchester, it has the hand wheel on the right hand side, which is also the correct side

It has the imperial screwcutting box as opposed to the dual box.
          It can do metric but you have to swap input gears and there should be a metric chart inside the end cover.

Chuck fitting looks like a L0 series with the long taper and large nut, this may make it hard to source chucks at a reasonable price. Looks to have the fixed steady which are also pricey to obtain.

Induction hardened bed as standard, that's what the yellow sticker says.
          In some ways these are a more durable design than the later square head machines, they had a glass apron.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Al, nice looking lathe!
            Thanks for the info all -- in doing some more digging around, at least
            going by the picture, it might be an all-metric "Continental" (judging by
            the controls -- I don't see a "tumbler" in the reseller's picture and it looks
            alot like the "Joystick" type on the Continental.

-Tony

Comment

Picture from www.lathes.co.uk

Rare all-metric screwcutting gearbox with its distinctive joy-stick control lever.

and....

A "Mark-one-and-a-half" Colchester Triumph/Clausing 15-inch (the Student, Master and Clausing 13-inch were laid out in an identical fashion)
              Paul Compton
              www.morini-mania.co.uk
              http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

Al/John/All,
                Just curious, what does a lathe like this weigh?
                -Tony
                you guys should all just post your phone numbers so I can call you

Comment

About 1400 pounds.

If you want a phone number PM me, I don't mind.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Jason,
                    your lathe is probally a Colchester Triumph if its a 15" swing.
                    MBB

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                      About 1400 pounds.
                      It's a little heavier then that, closer to 2000 lbs. (24-36" centers)
                      Last edited by Al Flipo; 03-12-2010, 11:59 AM.

Comment

So the more I read about this thing the more I'm falling in love with it.
                        Granted its going to take more space than the Myford -- and I'd have
                        to find a hired truck to get it around. I'm not trying to compare the two --
                        i'm just trying to balance the trade offs of how much lathe I really need.

John mentioned the chuck mount being problematic -- the L0. Are these
                        hard to find AND expensive? or just expensive?

Any suggestions / warning / caveats before I run out and spend my hard
                        earned money?

(I don't know why I just didn't keep the lathe I already had )
                        (I thought I could make due with smaller and here I am look'n at a
                        2000lb machine).

Comment

The LO chucks are no problem to find/buy, but before you buy this thing, make absolutely sure it is in good working condition, parts are very expensive and very hard to find, if you don't need it, pass on.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                            Tony,
                            English version of the Colchester, it has the hand wheel on the right hand side, which is also the correct side

Handwheel on left = Straight bed.
                            Handwheel on right = Gap bed machine.

Be a better machine if it had the Norton style quick change gearbox.
                            Plenty of people still selling LO chuck back plates at a price. Best bet is to look out for second hand chuck, probably a bit easier over here though.

Comment

Interesting point about the handle being on the left or the right. My preference is for it to be on the right - if you're hand feeding, you don't get hot chips dropped on your hand. I don't think it makes any difference if the gear & rack are "pulling" or "pushing" the saddle.

Hadn't thought about the bed having a gap or not influencing which side the wheel's on!

fwiw, if the room's avalable, I'd take the Colchester over an ML7 any day...

Ian
                              All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Working...
                              X