No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I loaded my lathe on my trailer and snigged it down tight using a fence wire strainer. Then, after oiling it well, I wrapped it all in polythene sheet and used plenty of duct tape to keep it in place then put a tarp over that and trussed it up like an Egyption mummy.

It is now well swaddled for its journey to the new house, 3 hours on a ferry then 5 or 6 hours on the road. I hope it does not rain......

Comment

• Good luck with the lathe Art!

Well I just got up today but yesterday the new hub, slider, and synchro came in for a customers car that has been on my hoist all week. Got it all together, bench tested good, put trans in car and hooked everything up. Today I can fill with fluid and take the car out for a beat.
      Andy

Comment

• I actually got out to the shop today for the first time in over a week. Been having hand problems, arthritis, and last Wednesday I had cortisone shots in both thumbs. Not funski! Did some fitting on a "new" hammer for an antique Tennessee percussion rifle I picked up 30 years ago or so...can't rush into these things, ya know!

David
        David Kaiser
        “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
        ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• Drilled 15 - 7/8" thru holes in 3"dia X 1" stock in preparation for tapping. Cleaned on shop until the dumpster was full. I'm gonna have to wait til trash day to clean some more. I bought a shorty jack stand with a barstock roller on it that is just the right size for my new band saw. It doesn't have a screw adjustment like my other welding stands. So, I am spending some time figuring out how to add that feature easily.

All the best guys,

Tim

Comment

• Mailed off my next article for Digital Machinist this morning, am "clearing the decks" and getting things squared away for the next project. (Cleaning the shop and garage.)
            Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
            ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

• A/ Mucked out the eight pigs - hand shovel job
              B/ Cleared and swept out the new log store
              C/ Shifted 8 one ton bags of split logs up to the house to stack for next winter
              D/ Went in and had breafast
              E/ Cleared the yard behind my workshop ready for a roof to be put up on monday - this involved moving a 1.5 ton power hammer, and a lot of heavy foundry gear including the gas furnace and a BIG stack of cope and drags
              F/ Mended the goose hut to keep out Mr Fox
              H/ Shifted and stacked loads of pallets and machinery in the farm yard so the grand kids can get to the play area (following grumble from her indoors)
              I/ Lunch
              J/ Sheeted the stuff moved earlier to make way for the roof
              K/ Broke down the remains of a hay & straw rick, cleared up and strawed up the pigs - looks like Martha is in pig again !!
              L/ Councelled upset son whose new toy SUV failed it's MOT test - all trivial easy fixes so now son happy again!
              M/ Supper
              N/ Sat down and mused how busy being retired is, and how little time I get to play in my workshop!!!!!
              Last edited by awemawson; 01-29-2011, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• Reassembled the apron on my 9" SB. Yesterday the half-nut lockout pin stuck which prevented me from using the power feed. Disassembled and cleaned out 60+ years of muck so it works like a new one now.

Once the lathe was operational continued working on a motor adapter for the feed unit on my Fray mill. Making it out of a piece of 1" thick mystery steel found along the side of the road. It has so many hard spots in it I may have been better off just hauling it to the scrap yard!

Comment

• Originally posted by vpt
                  Good luck with the lathe Art!

Well I just got up today but yesterday the new hub, slider, and synchro came in for a customers car that has been on my hoist all week. Got it all together, bench tested good, put trans in car and hooked everything up. Today I can fill with fluid and take the car out for a beat.

Filled trans today and took the car for a beat. Shifted good in all gears even banging threw them at 8000 RPM. Even reverse works! I think he'll; be happy with it.
                  Andy

Comment

• I practiced more in prep for welding up a stand for my mill.

I learned a lot about practicing welds. None of my welds failed the "bend test". My welds came out good despite the rain showers that forced me to improvise a lean-to to protect my outside welding area.

Had a nice dinner with the kids who were on their way to the big city to see Garfunkle and Oates at a comedy club. It's always great to see the kids.

Dan
                    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

• Turned down the end of a threaded axle for a buddy yesterday. He says ooo so shiney.
                      Andy

Comment

• Lots of snow and cold weather last few days (temp is now up to 8F) but didn’t want to go out so started laying new ceramic floor in kitchen/dining and utility area.
                        Converted table lamp for client to led’s for use at a trade show.
                        Modified a drilling fixture for another client, made new assemble fixture for him, still need to make him a test fixture for a pcb.
                        Made some artwork changes to a pcb for someone else’s new product.
                        To day waiting for a guy to show up to help him with his new idea on how to kill bed bugs. And I still have a bunch of floor tile to finish laying.

Comment

• Did some more electric motors ...........................sigh

Got an interesting job coming in next week......................28 more motors..........................grumble.

Oh and 6 rotary tables to convert to stepper drive...............yawn.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

• I did the the destructive tests on the practice welds I did last week. By destructive, I mean that I pounded and pried and bent and ground and sawed until I managed to get all those test welds off the test piece. It's a good thing to do while learning to weld.

I learned several things...

It is probably as important to know how to remove a weld as it is to place it.

When you have what looks like a bad weld, it does not magically become a good weld if you make a second and third pass. (MIG)

Most of my welds were very good.

When you weld a 1x2 bar to a plate, and you weld it all the way around, that is 6 inches of weld that you have to remove if you are off position by 1/4 inch or twisted by a few degrees.

Dan
                            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

• I got out the tractor and loader and moved snow. Then I moved some more snow. Then, for a little variety I moved some more snow. Every once in a while I stopped for a breather and shoveled some snow.

We don't have nearly as much snow as further south, but we still have a freaking lot of snow.

Comment

• I went out 3 times and chopped ice.

Once next door driveway.

Once across the street driveway.

last time my own driveway.

Exact same type movements as machine scraping, except more work and bigger swarf.

So then I came in and did some more scraping on a shop project. Time to go study pretty soon.

update that you don't need but get anyhow for free: Finished some clamp brackets for work after all that, cam back here to see what was up, as it's only a few steps from the machines
                                Last edited by J Tiers; 02-06-2011, 07:31 PM.
                                CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                                Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                                Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                                I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                                Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Working...
                                X