Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
    Last night I put up an ad for my Saturn:
    ...
    From the ad on FB Marketplace, I've had inquiries from a wide range of people, some rather strange.
    That is the usual problem when you try to sell very cheap used car. Potential buyers seem to be all some sort of weirdos, agreed times slip, they never show up or they try also to bargain full tank of gas for 100$ POS spare parts donor.
    Junkyard guys have easy web app or email service and come with tow truck or crane truck and pick the POS free of charge... ("Free" as is they won't pay anything for the scrap in that case)
    Location: Helsinki, Finland, Europe

    Comment


    • So far the best (and probably safest) offer is the $170 if I drive it to a junkyard, but I'd have to have someone follow me and drive me home. They would also give me $100 if they come here and pick it up. I'll see if I get any reasonable offers from Craig's List.

      https://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto...756862080.html

      I'd be wary about having some of these guys come to my house to look at the car. I'd probably want to meet them at a neutral safe place, maybe firehouse or police station or my mechanic's.
      http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
      Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
      USA Maryland 21030

      Comment


      • Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
        ... installed a row of 3 Akro-Mils 64 bin units ...
        Nice! Now, if you could train Siri to know where things are: "Siri - where are the retaining rings?" "The retaining rings are in Unit 1, Row G, Drawer 5".

        $27 for 1 or $70 each for 2,3, or 4.
        Last edited by Bob Engelhardt; 11-25-2018, 09:39 AM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by plastikosmd View Post
          Nice 3ph
          I bought out a retiring machinist lathe and mills and he gave me his supply closet and he had this green shelf packed as it is now, pre organized with nearly everything I will need for life (bolts to rivetts, key stock to hose clamps). I admire your asthetic, I wanted to keep his memory alive and will keep this “system”

          I like the the wire shelving used as a stock rack. So obvious once you see it, but it never occurred to me. I have some sections of that type of shelving around here and stock organization is one of the next projects I want to take on. Great idea!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
            So far the best (and probably safest) offer is the $170 if I drive it to a junkyard, but I'd have to have someone follow me and drive me home. They would also give me $100 if they come here and pick it up. I'll see if I get any reasonable offers from Craig's List.

            https://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto...756862080.html

            I'd be wary about having some of these guys come to my house to look at the car. I'd probably want to meet them at a neutral safe place, maybe firehouse or police station or my mechanic's.
            That could be the worst offer if the back end falls off on the way to the junkyard. That rusted out POC has become a physical, mental, psychological, ethical and time-sucking liability to you. Turn it into a small financial asset.

            Call PickYourPart now. They'll pay you to take it out of your life. You'll never regret it.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
              Fixed a 50year old Airco (Miller) 300 amp Tig welder for the in-law's neighbor. High frequency starter arc was not working.
              i
              Crazy system, the thing is made like a Tesla coil..... high voltage transformer drives a spark gap, and then a high voltage mica type transmitter capacitor couples the resulting high frequency output into the a second transformer (air core) that couples it into the stinger cable. Similar system as a Tesla coil, or an old spark type radio transmitter.
              Those Tesla coil-like high frequency setups were pretty common from what I was told. I poked around in a few of the old high frequency add on units sold through Granger as Dayton units and a few others. I rewound one of those air core coupling transformers fro a customer at a place I worked at but don't recall what brand unit it came out of. Interesting setups and quite robust. Not so much to go wrong with them I suppose.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                So far the best (and probably safest) offer is the $170 if I drive it to a junkyard, but I'd have to have someone follow me and drive me home. They would also give me $100 if they come here and pick it up. I'll see if I get any reasonable offers from Craig's List.

                https://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto...756862080.html

                I'd be wary about having some of these guys come to my house to look at the car. I'd probably want to meet them at a neutral safe place, maybe firehouse or police station or my mechanic's.
                Take the new tires off and sell them separately, they will sell fast and fetch a good dollar if they are as new as you say.
                If they are going to pick it up they will likely have a roll-off deck truck to transport it so wheels won't be required. They are mainly interested in the car as scrap value anyway so no sense in sending it to the crusher with a good set of tires.
                Check with them first and state that the car has no wheels just so everyone is on the same page.
                Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

                Location: British Columbia

                Comment


                • I have a pair of wheels with old tires that still hold air, so I could at least switch those. I'll call and see if their pick-up offer still stands if it has only two wheels. The PickYourPart salvage yard seems to deal in used parts, not so much scrap. So they might expect to sell the tires and the good engine, at least. I am leaning toward the easiest option to have it hauled away and get the $100 and no hassle.

                  Tires:


                  Last edited by PStechPaul; 11-25-2018, 02:53 PM. Reason: images
                  http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                  Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                  USA Maryland 21030

                  Comment


                  • You couldn't sell it on Craigslist or elsewhere for a couple hundred bucks?

                    Comment


                    • Pull the battery too, it never hurts to have another around.

                      Comment


                      • Cut a gear to replace a chewed-up apron traverse pinion for my friend's lathe restoration. The original had badly twisted teeth, god knows how they achieved that.

                        Anyway, the original 12T 12DP pinion was well down on the OD, about 40 thou. I couldn't figure out why and I only had the one gear so no way to fit it up and measure so I did my best to take an 'average' reading on the OD and turned a blank 1.120" (instead of 1.167") to match it. When I cut the teeth it looked horrible, huge under-cut and mushroom-tops on the teeth.

                        Turned anther blank and this time made it standard diameter, and it came out much more respectable. Not perfect, I topped the teeth by about 5-10 thou even at the specified infeed but it's just a handwheel pinion so the guy has taken it for a test fit.

                        Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

                        Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                        Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                        Monarch 10EE 1942

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by true temper View Post
                          Pull the battery too, it never hurts to have another around.
                          Just make sure you don't already have 6 or 7 of them in your garage.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Peter. View Post
                            Cut a gear to replace a chewed-up apron traverse pinion for my friend's lathe restoration. The original had badly twisted teeth, god knows how they achieved that.

                            Anyway, the original 12T 12DP pinion was well down on the OD, about 40 thou. I couldn't figure out why and I only had the one gear so no way to fit it up and measure so I did my best to take an 'average' reading on the OD and turned a blank 1.120" (instead of 1.167") to match it. When I cut the teeth it looked horrible, huge under-cut and mushroom-tops on the teeth.

                            Turned anther blank and this time made it standard diameter, and it came out much more respectable. Not perfect, I topped the teeth by about 5-10 thou even at the specified infeed but it's just a handwheel pinion so the guy has taken it for a test fit.
                            At 20° PA it's damned near impossible to cut a 12T pinion without undercut. At 14.5° PA it is impossible without modified addendum. Undercut teeth will work perfectly since they are the true involute. They are just weaker than non-undercut ones.
                            Location- Rugby, Warwickshire. UK

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Mark Rand View Post
                              At 20° PA it's damned near impossible to cut a 12T pinion without undercut. At 14.5° PA it is impossible without modified addendum. Undercut teeth will work perfectly since they are the true involute. They are just weaker than non-undercut ones.
                              Is it really that cold? I couldn’t cut anything in those temperatures either

                              Comment


                              • Today I warmed the paint, placed the parts on a paddle to carry them, heated them, then got prepared to open the outside door. Quickly got everything and stepped outside by about a foot. Quickly got the spray paint on the parts, then ducked back in to close the door. Brrr. Must have been about 20 PA out there.

                                I can't be doing this much longer. It's not really that cold here right now, but it is rainy. Can't paint in the rain. I need to get a spray booth together. I've got all the stuff, now need to pull a basement window and replace it with an insulated fan rack module. Before it gets cold-
                                I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X