No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just set the travels and forget, a splash of oil on the surface is all that is needed.
    Cut to fit now to cut hole and weld in eccentric bearing stock
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

• Made a wire catch for my hole saw box. When I bought the set years ago, the box had no provision to keep it closed. Don't know if it was missing, or never had one. It's been a PITA but since the set doesn't get a lot of use, fixing it hasn't been a priority. A few days ago I pulled it off the shelf, the box came open, and dumped the contents on the floor. Luckily, most landed on the rubber fatigue mat and no damage was done. I made the catch from some wire left over from hanging a suspended ceiling grid. That's some tough stuff, not easily bent to tight radii. I started out by making a sort of prototype from thin copper wire, then used that as a pattern to make the finished piece. Not much of a project, but something to add to this thread.

Missing catch:

Box contents:

Copper pattern and steel wire for finished part:

Tough to bend:

Last edited by Dave C; 11-28-2018, 07:54 PM.
      “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

• Improvised bending jig:

Completed and installed:

Voila! It works:

Sorry for the lousy pics, I got a new camera and still trying to figure it out.
        Last edited by Dave C; 11-28-2018, 07:57 PM.

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

• I was in an airplane for 16+ hours

Comment

• Originally posted by RB211 View Post
            I was in an airplane for 16+ hours
            That plane's gas tank must be bigger than the plane I learned to fly in.

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave C View Post
              That plane's gas tank must be bigger than the plane I learned to fly in.
              He didn't say the airplane had the engine running. He might have been sitting at the gate.

Comment

• My boy RB211 flies the big airplanes. Super soaked with Jet A/A-1.

Comment

• Still fixing the table.... got the one leg of it fixed, and found that all three others were either cracked and sagging, or were sagging and pulling away from their pegged joints. Even the screws were pulling out. It's SUCH a crappy design. So now I have 3x more work to glue them back together and re-install with longer/more screws.

One of them is pulling away, but seems to be still glued, as it will not come out, even though the bottom (that has screws but no pegs or glue) has pulled 1/2 inch away from the surface it should be flush against.... I hate this table, it is leaving soon..
                  4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

• Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                    Still fixing the table.... got the one leg of it fixed, and found that all three others were either cracked and sagging, or were sagging and pulling away from their pegged joints. Even the screws were pulling out. It's SUCH a crappy design. So now I have 3x more work to glue them back together and re-install with longer/more screws.

One of them is pulling away, but seems to be still glued, as it will not come out, even though the bottom (that has screws but no pegs or glue) has pulled 1/2 inch away from the surface it should be flush against.... I hate this table, it is leaving soon..
                    Terminate a table - with prejudice?
                    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

• How do you make threadlock set immediately? Easy, simply realise the disastrous mistake you've made and require to disassemble the two parts!
                      Use lower strength threadlock you say, it's dismantleable with hand tools? Yes, but not when both parts are round and smooth....which of course, these were.

Did get some brackets made to hang one of these new-fangled kitchen grids and got to have a quick play with some Delrin for my next job. Seems to face nicely at least.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
                        How do you make threadlock set immediately? Easy, simply realise the disastrous mistake you've made and require to disassemble the two parts!
                        Use lower strength threadlock you say, it's dismantleable with hand tools? Yes, but not when both parts are round and smooth....which of course, these were.

Did get some brackets made to hang one of these new-fangled kitchen grids and got to have a quick play with some Delrin for my next job. Seems to face nicely at least.
                        If the assembly will tolerate it, just heat it dull red then tap it when its hot, heat generally kills threadlock adhesive. Quite a few times in the pit's we've been there with a blowlamp getting something hot to kill the loctite so it undo's instead of stripping so the vehicle could make it out again that weekend.

Comment

• Cheers. Useful to bear in mind for future swearing sessions. In this case though, the other end was held vaguely captive in leather (my wife's boot) so taking a blowtorch to it may have resulted in grievous injury!
                          Ended up taking pliers to it and then scotchbriteing the toolmarks back off it on the lathe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
                            Cheers. Useful to bear in mind for future swearing sessions. In this case though, the other end was held vaguely captive in leather (my wife's boot) so taking a blowtorch to it may have resulted in grievous injury!
                            Ended up taking pliers to it and then scotchbriteing the toolmarks back off it on the lathe.
                            If it's not too big, these locking wrenches work like a charm on round stuff. I have a set of three - 4", 7", and 10" - and they are my go to wrench when I need to hold something round. The included angle on the V shaped jaw is 120o so they also work perfectly on hex material.

Comment

• Interesting. Not seen those before. Managed to find them on Amazon once I'd worked out what to search for. One to add to my basket when I'm doing the retail-therapy thing https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00004SBBE

Comment

• Originally posted by TGTool View Post
                                Terminate a table - with prejudice?
                                Tempting, but I am just fixing it to move it to a new owner.
                                4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
                                Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Working...
                                X