No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did a little more on my truck today. Cut away some more rotten metal where the back part of the seat rails will be located. There are actually two layers of metal, separated by maybe 1/4". I drilled and tapped for 5/16" bolts and fastened the rear of the rails, but the bolts are not really very secure. I might see if I can get a large washer and nut on the other end of the bolts from underneath. Otherwise, there are stronger sections where the seat belt anchors and original seat mount are located.

The front mounting looks OK on the right side, but the left side is rusted away. I might just attach a piece of strap iron as reinforcement:

Another view:

I need to reattach the seat belt and remove the end that is attached to the Saturn seat:
    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• Been working on rear mounted work stop for my Kurt vice. In this video I show sawing and preparing the mounting brackets. It’s mostly using my saw jig to cut stock to rough size. Also some 4 jaw on my lathe. The video is below
      https://youtu.be/woYcJenap3Y

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• It's cookie season here, shop is closed until we finish the 54 dozen cookies.....

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

• I added 40 poly bins to the side of a tool chest. I'm going to either add another ~60 poly bins on the side of my Lista tool chest or maybe a stack of three 64-bit drawers.

Comment

• Where is it %#!!

Was finishing up a little milling/drilling and realised I couldn't find the drill chuck key. Had to use the one off the drillpress to finish... then I started looking. I'm not one of those organised clean-freak shop types... it's generally quite the mess. But, I have a rule... when I can't find a tool, I stop and clean until I find it. Shops starting to look pretty good, but I still can't find that key. I'm starting to get annoyed

That chuck was a treat to myself... paid $70 for it. It still works, but I'm using the chuck key from a $16 chuck.. Fits, but it's irritating. I'm a little weird about tools... among other things . I don't like not knowing where they are. They don't have to be in the "right" place, but I have to know where they are. The next shop-day will be lost to cleaning too.

David...
            http://fixerdave.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Tie it to the cord or the machine ..

Comment

• Originally posted by fixerdave View Post
                Was finishing up a little milling/drilling and realised I couldn't find the drill chuck key. Had to use the one off the drillpress to finish... then I started looking. I'm not one of those organised clean-freak shop types... it's generally quite the mess. But, I have a rule... when I can't find a tool, I stop and clean until I find it. Shops starting to look pretty good, but I still can't find that key. I'm starting to get annoyed

That chuck was a treat to myself... paid $70 for it. It still works, but I'm using the chuck key from a $16 chuck.. Fits, but it's irritating. I'm a little weird about tools... among other things . I don't like not knowing where they are. They don't have to be in the "right" place, but I have to know where they are. The next shop-day will be lost to cleaning too.

David...
                Back in Feb, I had to go out of town, so I did what I usually do, which is to lock up the tool cabinet that actually locks, and I put the keys in a drawer. I have looked about 12 times, and I STILL do not know where I put them, I changed to a new place "that was so obvious to me that I could not forget".

I forgot.

I had to take the cabinet doors off (not real easy) and remove the locks, or I was just not gonna get into that cabinet. "So obvious", my ass.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

• Originally posted by 754 View Post
                  Tie it to the cord or the machine ..
                  The key for the stupid cheap chuck the machine came with stayed in the drawer where it belongs for a over a decade. No issues. Still there actually, as I still use that chuck for things on occasion. But, buy a nice new chuck and... grrrr!

Comment

• Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                    ... "So obvious", my ass.
                    Did that with something. Gave up looking, stumbled across it years later and, YEAH, it was the most perfect logical choice for where to put it. So, I left it there. Damned if I can find it. Been years. Been so long now I can't even blame it on getting old. If I ever find it again, I'll just throw it out and be done with it.

David...

Comment

• I've never misplaced the key for any of my keyless chucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by fixerdave View Post
                        [...] I'm not one of those organised clean-freak shop types... [...]
                        The thing about being one of those organized clean-freak types is that I never have to look for anything. I always know where everything is. Two seconds spent putting something in its right place saves 2 minutes looking for it later.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
                          The thing about being one of those organized clean-freak types is that I never have to look for anything. I always know where everything is. Two seconds spent putting something in its right place saves 2 minutes looking for it later.
                          It takes me 2 minutes to find the right place, if I can remember where that is.

Comment

• Seeing those pics of Paul's truck, I decided to go take a pic of the same area on the old (2000 model year) S 10.

Clearly not new, moving toward a problem, but the metal is still there....... And, yes they use salt here... sometimes there is more salt on the road than there is snow and ice....

Spring hanger

Frame and body at rear tire

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

• Actually the S10 looks almost pristine in regards to rust.
                              Toyota has had a real issue with rust on certain models that has led to a lot of litigation and finally a recall and or some compensation.
                              Usually most vehicles rust out in the body while the frame and running gear are still good for years of service. Not Toyota.

Oh what a feeling!

Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

• Aluminum frames are da'bomb

Comment

Working...
                                X