What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ridgerunner View Post
    The Greenerd 3 1/2 with the ratchet is 5 ton. With the 24" pilot wheel it is rated 3 ton. With the 36" pilot wheel it is rated 4 ton. I have a Greenerd round ram ratchet model 3 3/4 which is also rated 5 ton. The 3 1/2 shipping weight is 456 lbs plus 117 lbs for the floor stand. The 3 3/4 is just a little heavier at 516 lbs plus the 117 lbs for the floor stand. It is a nice press but is hard to keep the ram up.
    Those Presses are awesome don't know how I got along without them.I have a Greenerd 3E with 24" shipwheel at 2-1/2 ton it is so handy,I made a socket holder for it.The sockets in pic all machined flat face and smooth bore,a dream for installing seals,bearing and bushing.I also have a Dake 6 25 Ton it weighs in just under 3000lbs.

Comment

• I was working on a custom Ford truck.
      2018 with independent suspension, 17 ish inches of adjustable lift at each wheel. Adjustable air pressure. Tilt sideways and front to back, rear steer, big rubber I think 46 inch. Huge clearance ground to diff, over 20 inches
      Anyway we were working on the E brake. Last one had it in front of rear diff.. vulnerable.
      So this one is a rotor mounted on the front yoke of rear driveshaft. And we are using a Tesla electric E brake.
      A bit of work to mount it off the transfer case, but it's almost done., then next one will be fairly easy..
      I am trying to stay away from it but they need a hand now and then.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dedave View Post
        Finished up my parts washer. Parts I have been collecting finally come together. Now I get to do all that neglected cleaning
        I tried to find a better barrel for my old parts cleaner but those 30-gallon barrels carry a hefty deposit and go for a premium down here. Places that have them don't want to turn loose of them. As long as mine doesn't leak, I'll hang on to it. I use Naphtha so if it's going to rust, it will be on the outside so I hope I can catch it and stop it.

Comment

• CCWKen--Try at an auto body shop. They buy their paint thinner and chemicals in those steel 30 gallon drums, and are usually glad to get rid of them.
          Brian Rupnow

Comment

• Originally posted by 754 View Post
            I was working on a custom Ford truck.
            2018 with independent suspension, 17 ish inches of adjustable lift at each wheel. Adjustable air pressure. Tilt sideways and front to back, rear steer, big rubber I think 46 inch. Huge clearance ground to diff, over 20 inches
            Anyway we were working on the E brake. Last one had it in front of rear diff.. vulnerable.
            So this one is a rotor mounted on the front yoke of rear driveshaft. And we are using a Tesla electric E brake.
            A bit of work to mount it off the transfer case, but it's almost done., then next one will be fairly easy..
            I am trying to stay away from it but they need a hand now and then.

Thats how they should be from the factory, on the drive shaft. Hate their stupid e-brake cobblations they come up with at the wheels.
            Andy

Comment

• Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
              Those Presses are awesome don't know how I got along without them.I have a Greenerd 3E with 24" shipwheel at 2-1/2 ton it is so handy,I made a socket holder for it.The sockets in pic all machined flat face and smooth bore,a dream for installing seals,bearing and bushing.I also have a Dake 6 25 Ton it weighs in just under 3000lbs.
              That's really a nice set up. Many times when I press out a bearing I save and cut the race with a cut off disk. They come in handy for pressing other bearings etc and are easy to remove.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dedave View Post
                Finished up my parts washer. Parts I have been collecting finally come together. Now I get to do all that neglected cleaning

Some time back a friend bought a similar parts washer off Kijiji, cheap! Once cleaned up and a couple of small things fixed, it worked very well. As you know, they are an awkward thing to move around if you ever have to for any reason so I bought a mover's dolly when it was on a 50% off sale and closed it in with a piece of plywood, then used a couple of pieces of plywood with curves cut in them to match the curvature of the barrel and attached them to the dolly to center the washer. It's not a necessity of course to have it on casters but it has turned out to be quite nice to be able to move it around so easily, even if just to sweep the floor. It also had the added benefit of raising it up to a much more comfortable working height.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...ly/A-p8182461e
                Last edited by Arcane; 12-19-2018, 10:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arcane View Post
                  Some time back a friend bought a similar parts washer off Kijiji, cheap! Once cleaned up and a couple of small things fixed, it worked very well. As you know, they are an awkward thing to move around if you ever have to for any reason so I bought a mover's dolly when it was on a 50% off sale and closed it in with a piece of plywood, then used a couple of pieces of plywood with curves cut in them to match the curvature of the barrel and attached them to the dolly to center the washer. It's not a necessity of course to have it on casters but it has turned out to be quite nice to be able to move it around so easily, even if just to sweep the floor. It also had the added benefit of raising it up to a much more comfortable working height.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...ly/A-p8182461e
                  You can see the dolly in the background, LOL, great minds...

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                  I tried to find a better barrel for my old parts cleaner but those 30-gallon barrels carry a hefty deposit and go for a premium down here. Places that have them don't want to turn loose of them. As long as mine doesn't leak, I'll hang on to it. I use Naphtha so if it's going to rust, it will be on the outside so I hope I can catch it and stop it.
                  I had an old ZEP drum that was given to me 4 or 5 years ago. Finally get around to the project and the barrel was rusted out. I welded a plate on the bottom, and then looked closer and the bead and upper drum was rusted too. Wasted a bunch of time on that. Found this one on CL for $20, rather high as $5 was all I ever paid before.
                  Last edited by Dedave; 12-19-2018, 11:23 AM.

Comment

• Finished my 2 x 72 belt grinder.

Dan
                    Salem, Oregon

Comment

• Looking good, Dan! I built a 1x42 maybe 20 years ago, and I wound up using mainly 100/120 grits for most of what I do.
                      I cut it off twice; it's still too short
                      Oregon, USA

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim Clarke View Post
                        Looking good, Dan! I built a 1x42 maybe 20 years ago, and I wound up using mainly 100/120 grits for most of what I do.
                        Thanks, Tim. I bought the 60 grit ceramics 1st and they really hog away the material, while the finer belt is much closer to polishing with minor material removal. I think I need to do a little more tweaking on the pulley alignments, given the way the belt seems to surge a little at certain speeds.

Dan
                        Salem, Oregon

Comment

• Originally posted by Danl View Post
                          Finished my 2 x 72 belt grinder.

Dan

Very nice job! Did you follow some plans? This is the next shop tool project on my list after I finish my roller.
                          Andy

Comment

• I worked up some AutoCad drawings just to check fit and alignment, but never really finished them. I don't think they are really necessary, for the most part. Hundreds of Youtube videos out there. I cannot see any need for turning the entire belt assembly horizontal - the fire danger alone would be extreme in my shop....sparks flying out sideways for 15 to 20 feet seems crazy to me.

Dan
                            Salem, Oregon

Comment

• I finally got around to cleaning out the oil and sludge in my surface grinder. I also took the oil pump and the manifold apart and cleaned everything up. After re-assembling everything and filling up with fresh oil, the pump only runs for ~5 minutes, then gets hot and shuts down. It was doing this before I cleaned everything up so I figured it was blocked which it was. Oh well, I just ordered a little giant pump to try out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Danl View Post
                                I worked up some AutoCad drawings just to check fit and alignment, but never really finished them. I don't think they are really necessary, for the most part. Hundreds of Youtube videos out there. I cannot see any need for turning the entire belt assembly horizontal - the fire danger alone would be extreme in my shop....sparks flying out sideways for 15 to 20 feet seems crazy to me.

Dan

I couldn't find much use of turning it sideways as well. The design does seam to be based around the same typical base (typical) design. I was just curious if you got "plans" from somewhere for yours.

Your grinder does look great though! Much better in fact than most I have seen!
                                Andy

Comment

Working...
                                X