What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nc5a View Post
    Nicely done dipper. Was there much pitting on the rolls? And, what about that stand? It appears the hydraulic jack brings the casters in and out of service. Any chance for a better picture of it?

Ron
    Ron,
    Thanks! I have a few more things to finish up on the stand, so tomorrow I will put up the pics.

Comment

• Very nice! Looks to nice to use!
      Andy

Comment

• Was throwing some hot chips today so I set up the blockers, they could use a cleaning I guess.

Andy

Comment

• Great deal for a Pexto.
          I have a small set I got at a school auction, brand unknown sorta rough. .. but I think they were 35 of 30 bux.
          Back a few years there was a guy building 48 inch rolls here in town..

Comment

• Originally posted by Tungsten dipper View Post
            Just finished refurbishing an old, rusty, 43" slip roller.
            How exactly did you get the rollers looking that pristine?! Did you stick them on a lathe and turn them down slightly or is it just some solution like evaporust and then scotchbrite?

Curious as I have a bit of queue of stuff to renovate and that looks an outstanding result.

On that note, just restored a Moore & Wright tap wrench - looks very like the current Starrett pattern but back when stuff was made properly. Already turns much smoother than a modern Starrett. It's an inch shorter so should clear the ways on my lathe when finishing a tap by hand.

Also got a vintage hole cutter by "Akurate London”. Looked good in pics but all the set screws had had a 200lb gorilla on them. Freed it all up and made it adjust smoothly but there's what seems to be a pilot or guide on the end that will need to be turned or re-made. I wonder if there was originally a selection of sizes. Had to buy some imperial Allen keys for it too; something which I'd totally missed until trying them with a metric key.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tungsten dipper View Post
              Just finished refurbishing an old, rusty, 43" slip roller. Bought it at an Estate Sale (50 bucks) where it had been stored outside for over a year. Also, built a stand for it so it can be wheeled around the shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Bloody Hell !
              Pardon my French.
              Super job!

Comment

• Thanks everyone for all the kinds words!
                First photo, 24hours in Evapo-rust (doing it this way it only took a 1/3 of a gallon) , then on to the lathe (2nd photo) where it got filed. emery clothed, then Scotch -brite, 3rd photo, the three rollers. first one, before, second just out of the Evapo-rust, the third finished.

Last group of photos is for Ron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Last edited by Tungsten dipper; 12-22-2018, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• Wow, that evaporust works wonders! Will have to look and make sure they don't sell it here in the UK! The progress from there to the last pic looks like a labour of love. Would I be right in thinking it took longer and was more of a pain than anyone would be willing to pay for?!

Comment

• Yup. Ole Tungsten is the prideful craftsman for sure. That stand is a masterpiece!
                    I cut it off twice; it's still too short
                    Oregon, USA

Comment

• Today I made my weekly sojourn out to my buddy's acreage and while there i was going to see if I could get the spray pattern back on my windshield washer, the orifice on the nozzle that squirts on the driver's side was plugged and it needed a small pokey thing to fix it. I had used the windshield washer on the trip out but when I went to show him what the problem was, it didn't work. The WW pump had died. Fortunately he had a donor truck with the same WW tank and pump so a quick swap and I now have a working windshield washer again. How fortuitous that it failed right in his yard and serendipitous that he had a replacement!

Comment

• What I did each day this week.

Comment

• and continued...

Comment

• and lastly...

Comment

• Very nice. Are the black ones at the start 3D printed? If not, how did you make the central bore but leave a perfectly square key? Lathe, mill + rotary table and then shaper?

Comment

• I've never seen 3D printed anything look that nice. That looks like molded perfection. That's some fine looking machining work there.

Comment

Working...
                                X