What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tim Clarke View Post
    I'd like to, but then My wife would have more evidence. Some of you know what I mean.... as long as I'm on a roll, why not continue and see what else I can find!!!
    My favourite was when the doorbell rang and they dropped a crate on the doormat.
    "What the hell have you ordered?!”
    "Er....a lathe :-D "
    You can imagine how well it went down!

I honestly thought that going on an "Introduction to lathe" course would have given the game away...but apparently not.

Comment

• Preparing for christmast feast and opening of gifts..

12 oclock Midday sun up here in north:

Comment

• Originally posted by Noitoen View Post
        It will be in the last place you look for it
        Originally posted by Arcane View Post
        A person could save a lot of time if they just started from there...
        I've tried that, it doesn't work. It then becomes the first place you look and the item knows so it will move.

Comment

• Dang Matti, that looks cold. Brings back nightmares of my time on the North Coast (Ohio). We averaged about 120" of white stuff every year.

Comment

• Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
            Dang Matti, that looks cold.
            He has sauna.

Comment

• Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
              Preparing for christmast feast and opening of gifts..

12 oclock Midday sun up here in north:
              Even in Minnesota that would be sunset... the sun does peek over the horizon. Pic has that blue look of sunset, only broken by clouds.

I like winter, and snow, but I knew there was a reason my ancestors moved over here and settled a bit South of that latitude. Definitely a time to stay to home.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

• what a pretty scene. It'd be nice to be able to travel easily to that and then come back to highs of 70F I do miss the mountains and snow though.

got a couple of projects done. One was adapting a flask holder to an orbital shaker for the lab, so we can use one of our incubators to grow bacterial cultures. Both parts were crazy cheap off Amazon, so it was worth the effort.

Comment

• Ok in the shop a bit on Christmas Eve. I’ve been exploring alternative things to make spill proof oil cups out of. I take some maintenance meds so their mail ordered. Today I successfully modified one. I’m using it for a oil container on my work bench when I hand tap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• also spent 3 days at the beginning of the week with a very nice guy from Olympus to test drive a laser scanning confocal microscope that I'm rewriting a grant for. He brought an all singing all dancing version with him that is about $550,000, but we're asking for a simpler one for just $330,000

here's a mouse brain lesion. Blue = nuclei, green = actin (a cytoskeleton filament), not sure what red is labelling (colleagues work)

next up is an autofluorescence image of a fire worm (polychaete annelid) - the spikes are calciferous and break off in your skin causing either burning itching sensations or long term numbness

close up of the spikes (chitae?). My colleage was super excited by this image as some of the autofluorescence is seen only in the tips of the spikes, which might be the causative agent of the numbness. Long way down the road, but that might lead to new anaesthetics. Or not, given that it took over 18 months for the numbness in her finger tips to wear off when she was collecting them.

Comment

• now my stuff:

a green fluorescent protein expressed in neurons (if you look closely you can see axons and dendrites)

a different construct expressed in the germ cell niches at the end of the worm gonads

and a final one expressed in the intestinal cells - the nuclei are the bright green circles

I love playing with microscopes, you can get some truly beautiful images

Comment

• Picture of my kidney stone (~4mm x ~9mm) that I passed. Picture taken with a camera attached to my stereo microscope

Comment

• Ordered a dro from hong kong on ebay for my lathe on saturday. This morning I got a shipped notice and just now a text message from DHL that it will deliver on Wednesday ! Wow, 2 days from hong kong to my door in South Carolina, pretty amazing. The dro was $200 with the upgrade to a 1um scale for the X and free shipping.

Comment

• 3PL: TMI, but Ouch!
                            Last edited by Dave C; 12-24-2018, 12:39 PM.
                            “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
                              Ordered a dro from hong kong on ebay for my lathe on saturday. This morning I got a shipped notice and just now a text message from DHL that it will deliver on Wednesday ! Wow, 2 days from hong kong to my door in South Carolina, pretty amazing. The dro was $200 with the upgrade to a 1um scale for the X and free shipping.
                              I hope the manual you get with it is not in Chinese like mine is.
                              “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

• Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                                Dang Matti, that looks cold. Brings back nightmares of my time on the North Coast (Ohio). We averaged about 120" of white stuff every year.
                                Not too bad, -22 cel (-6f or so) ATM.
                                this is from my parents home 65N up north(or middle part of Finland). Coldest Winter temps I remember I have seen are -40c (-40f) but that is kind of extreme even in here. Makes starting and driving a car new and exiting experience

Comment

Working...
                                X