Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CCWKen
    • Jan 2003

I went through the "Blizzard of 76/77" the first year I moved up there. Wind-chill hit -100f. Even the hospital where I worked had closed. But I still made it there. It was my first exposure to tire-chains. I was young and invincible back then.

Comment

• Sparky_NY
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Dave C View Post
      I hope the manual you get with it is not in Chinese like mine is.
      I bet it is horrible. I looked before and there are plenty of videos and info out there now on the model dro I ordered. I should be ok.

Comment

• J Tiers
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
        Not too bad, -22 cel (-6f or so) ATM.
        this is from my parents home 65N up north(or middle part of Finland). Coldest Winter temps I remember I have seen are -40c (-40f) but that is kind of extreme even in here. Makes starting and driving a car new and exiting experience
        Gosh.... it got that cold in middle Minnesota, even the Twin Cities when I was a kid. You are way north of Minnesota.
        CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
        Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
        Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
        I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
        Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• MattiJ
          • Dec 2016

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
          Gosh.... it got that cold in middle Minnesota, even the Twin Cities when I was a kid. You are way north of Minnesota.
          Thanks to gulf stream. The most important export from Americas to Europe.

Comment

• cameron
            • Feb 2012

Preparing for christmast feast and opening of gifts..

12 oclock Midday sun up here in north:
            That makes me glad I live way down south.

But the sun's coming back, and I always figure the worst of winter is over at this point.

Just have to not think about January and February and the 2 to 5 feet of snow that we'll probably get dumped on us in March just when it looks like winter's over for good.

Comment

• Willy
              • Oct 2005

How often does the Gulf of Finland freeze over?
              Probably a bit cooler then without the warming effect of the open water, or do the prevailing winds come from the west and help to some extent despite the frozen gulf?

Originally posted by cameron View Post
              That makes me glad I live way down south.

But the sun's coming back, and I always figure the worst of winter is over at this point.

Just have to not think about January and February and the 2 to 5 feet of snow that we'll probably get dumped on us in March just when it looks like winter's over for good.
              Yup we're over the hump, days are longer from here on in.
              It may be a bit cooler for the next month or so but at least we're heading in the right direction.
              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

• MattiJ
                • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Willy View Post
                How often does the Gulf of Finland freeze over?
                Probably a bit cooler then without the warming effect of the open water, or do the prevailing winds come from the west and help to some extent despite the frozen gulf?
                Gulf of Finland freezes more or less every year, gulf of bothnia every year. Bit cooler and less snowfall after the sea freezes over.
                Prevailing southern winds are actually as/more important than Gulf Stream from Gulf of Mexico (just learned that from wikipedia). In Places like northern Norway the gulf stream has more importance (they have ice-free harbours up to 70N or something like that)

Sunrise here in Oulu 10:30 and sunset 14:00. Sun rises 1.9 degrees above horizon so its mostly behind the forest. Not much solar panels here....

But its getting better and only 3months until we have longer days than "you southeners"
                Last edited by MattiJ; 12-24-2018, 06:11 PM.

Comment

• CCWKen
                  • Jan 2003

We might get 1-2 more freezes. It's been a chilly fall/winter this year. Have to run the heater at night and the A/C during the day. Folks down here gotta get them berries in the ground right away. The Poteet Strawberry Festival is April 5-7, 2019! If I'm up to it, I may get a garden vegetable cold crop started in February.

Comment

• thaiguzzi
                    • Apr 2012

Gulf of Finland freezes more or less every year, gulf of bothnia every year. Bit cooler and less snowfall after the sea freezes over.
                    Prevailing southern winds are actually as/more important than Gulf Stream from Gulf of Mexico (just learned that from wikipedia). In Places like northern Norway the gulf stream has more importance (they have ice-free harbours up to 70N or something like that)

Sunrise here in Oulu 10:30 and sunset 14:00. Sun rises 1.9 degrees above horizon so its mostly behind the forest. Not much solar panels here....

But its getting better and only 3months until we have longer days than "you southeners"
                    That lack of day light is so depressing. I've met a couple of Finns over here - nice guys, but boy can they drink!
                    I've also read/heard the Finns have the highest suicide rates and highest alcoholic rates per capita anywhere in Europe...
                    Merry Christmas from NE Thailand, lunchtime mid 20's C, zero humidity, best time of the year....

Comment

• J Tiers
                      • Jan 2004

Yeah, the days get longer, but the temperature is not in-phase with day length.... it gets colder after the days start to get longer, just as it gets hotter after the days start getting shorter again.

Not really a 90 degree phase shift, probably more like 30 to 45 degree shift.

I was not really aware that the effect extended into the Baltic to any serious degree.
                      CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                      Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                      Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                      I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                      Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• Tundra Twin Track
                        • Jan 2014

Not too bad, -22 cel (-6f or so) ATM.
                        this is from my parents home 65N up north(or middle part of Finland). Coldest Winter temps I remember I have seen are -40c (-40f) but that is kind of extreme even in here. Makes starting and driving a car new and exiting experience
                        I was hauling wheat last Jan -42c was colder than h-!!, had electric heater on Hyd Tank on big auger and block heater on engine.

They still build the Lynx snow machines over there?

Merry Christmas to all!

Comment

• MattiJ
                          • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
                          I was hauling wheat last Jan -42c was colder than h-!!, had electric heater on Hyd Tank on big auger and block heater on engine.

They still build the Lynx snow machines over there?

Merry Christmas to all!
                          Yup, Lynx and I think also ski-doo nowadays.

Speaking of short days, Lynx manufacturing plant is in Rovaniemi and sun doesn't rise at all there in the middle of the winter.
                          (I wouldn't mind of short days if there is no need to go to work..perfect for staying at home, eating, sleeping and for shop time)

Comment

• jdedmon91
                            • May 2015

I recently made coasters for Christmas presents for close friends and family. Here is the first part of my coaster adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• DennisCA
                              • Mar 2018

Big christmas day here was on the 24th so today I had some free time and I did some stick welding, rebuilding a shop crane so it can fit between a euro-pallet.

Comment

• 3 Phase Lightbulb

My 5yr old daughter wanted geodes for xmas and we cracked a few open today with the shop press which cracks them open like eggs. I thought she would be disappointed when she opened the box of rocks but she was excited to see what's inside of them.

Comment

Working...
                                X