What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    It's nicely ordered now.. Nuts, washers, machine screws in that order starting from #2 to #10.
    I think he will be opening a hardware store soon there's no shortage of stock variety
    Helder Ferreira
    Setubal, Portugal

Comment

• Originally posted by vpt View Post
      Still all nilly willy, stainless with mild and brass and plastic? Nuts in the middle of bolts, washers in random places. OCD a little more!
      Don't you think it is time for you and your family to make a visit to Europe? I know a nice family you could stay with while your wife and kids are skiing! Oh, bring your label machine!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

• Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
        Don't you think it is time for you and your family to make a visit to Europe? I know a nice family you could stay with while your wife and kids are skiing! Oh, bring your label machine!
        I don't know metric.
        Andy

Comment

• Started re-scraping a portable slideway I have, so it can actually be used. Fits were crummy, it blued like a piece of the Ozarks, and it clearly had worn at one point to where the slide was riding on a surface not intended to ride on. That had been repaired partly by planing down the dovetail on the base that it was riding on. Apparently the other way surfaces werre either ignored or milled and called good.

Toolholder t-slot surface (on crosslide), after some scraping... it blued in two corners originally. Gonna take some more work.

Cross-slide surface of the "carriage". Early, about one scraping pass. Nice visible "as-milled" surface for the slide to move on.....

The shiny spots it was, but is not supposed to be, riding on. The flats to the side are where it should ride.

Decoration apparently applied as compensation for the crummy slideways... ?????

It was on the top of the crosslide also, and pretty deep.

Last edited by J Tiers; 01-06-2019, 05:21 PM.
          4357 2773 5647 3671 3645 0087 1276

CNC machines only go through the motions

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

• More pics and stuff

The slideway base, about 18 inches or so long. Leadscrew for it is in the background. Big 'ol lantern toolpost from it in the yellow box.

The planer marks, which might actually be from a roughing cutter, now that I look closer.

The underside, has a pattern of holes on it for fastening down. A leadscrew and nut moves the "carriage" and crosslide along.

Last edited by J Tiers; 01-06-2019, 05:22 PM.

Comment

• I'm not seeing any pics...

-js
              There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

• Honey do list, my car is making noise...

Holes under a heat shield.

Stainless patch.

Mig glue.

Bend shield back and more mig glue.

Keeps the legs spread.
                Andy

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post
                  I'm not seeing any pics...

-js
                  Dunno, they are in the usual place, and they appear on my screen.

Comment

• No shop time today. another windstorm... third in 5 weeks. Cleared trees off roads. Power out, on generator, looks bleak for tonight - over 200,000 still without power. Good news.. it's 45F

Comment

Honey do list, my car is making noise...

Holes under a heat shield.

Stainless patch.

Mig glue.

Bend shield back and more mig glue.

Keeps the legs spread.
                      Andy, that saved you a few bucks!

Comment

• Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                        Dunno, they are in the usual place, and they appear on my screen.
                        I see them now - good pics, BTW. The problem apparently was a flaky DNS server which failed completely a bit later. All good now...

-js
                        There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

I don't know metric.
                          Get yourself the Fastener Black Book and you'll be up to speed in no time. I absolutely love this book now:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/09...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

• Do they have it in white?
                            Andy

Comment

• Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                              Get yourself the Fastener Black Book and you'll be up to speed in no time. I absolutely love this book now:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/09...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                              My invitation was meant for you 3ph! I have seen pictures of 'VPT's shop.......he isn't any better organized than me!

From Logan you can fly direct to Zurich which is only one hour away from me. Just let me know what you need for boxes in advance.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

• Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                                My invitation was meant for you 3ph! I have seen pictures of 'VPT's shop.......he isn't any better organized than me!

From Logan you can fly direct to Zurich which is only one hour away from me. Just let me know what you need for boxes in advance.
                                How do I get to Logan? It's the only airport that I always seem to get lost coming/going from I'll need Germany's best super car waiting for me at the Zurich airport. We'll figure out the rest when I get there.

Comment

Working...
                                X