No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can still spin the track on my 72 Olympic 340 twin. Great machine, steering and handling, not so much.
    Cheers,
    Jon

Comment

• I had to put down my long time canine companion Muttley, in November of 2015. He was only about 11 years old, but he was in pain from arthritic joints, and he had a hard time on the stairs. When he threw up blood, I knew the end was near, and the vet found a mass in his abdomen that was probably cancer, and he would likely not survive exploratory surgery or other treatment. When I took him to the vets for the last time, he seemed to know that I was going to take away his pain, and he went very peacefully.

Not long after that, I got a cat, "Skeeter", and in June 2017 I got my present dog, "Mr Tibbs":

He was estimated to be 12-13 years old when I adopted him. He has had many heath issues and now is on special diet and medications for kidney failure, but has been doing well. He and Skeeter finally learned to coexist peacefully.

Unfortunately, Skeeter got out and went away. My neighbor saw her a few days later, but she never came back.

Condolences on your loss. It isn't easy, but our final act of love is to help them pass on and be free of pain.
      http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
      Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
      USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• Our two love bugs...

Comment

• I had a couple of center drills that won’t fit in drill chucks because of the flats on them. They came from Eaton. I must picked them up. So I decided to make a holder. Here is the video.
          https://youtu.be/bx8yryLx_EU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Since we are posting pet pics

Comment

• Originally posted by jdedmon91 View Post
              I had a couple of center drills that won’t fit in drill chucks because of the flats on them. They came from Eaton. I must picked them up. So I decided to make a holder. Here is the video.
              https://youtu.be/bx8yryLx_EU

Curious, looked like the hole was slightly bigger than you wanted.

Comment

• It was a bit looser than I intended, however I used the tool today on another project and it worked fine.

Comment

• Jdedmon, 2 things will speed your work up.
                  When you drill the tapped hole drill right thru, far easier to tap..
                  And if it was a 2 flats tool, run a setscrew on either side.. .. bore should be snug.

When you are tapping, reach for your quill lever with left hand to put slight pressure on tap handle then just keep turning the tap if it's a machine tap, no need to stop.

Comment

• Another sled ride. Over 100km on the local trails. Found the way out to the gas station to the west, and out to the lake to the east, and a bunch of trails in between. Heading out later today to the lake and a buddy's hut to go fishing. It's a nice 30-40 minute ride out to the lake. Might take off from there and head north to find my way to work on the trails. A feeder trail pops out right beside the shop.

Tonight I'm going to set up my basement workbench again I had to tear down and move for the furnace install. Everything has been in pieces and piled up in boxes down there for the past 3 months while this project dragged on... Kids have been bugging me to setup the 3d printer again also, And the Wife will get her knitting machines set up again so all will be happy.

Comment

• Yesterday i worked on a hammerform , for an aluminum motorcycle tailpiece I am working on. Sorta like a cafe type tailsection and seatbase that is one piece.
                      I decided to try riveted construction, but am finding out, that if I had gone welded I would be finished already (provided I find a tig welder close by).
                      THE OTHER THING I decided was to work with and over the stock fender. So to cover that I am building a domed panel with a flange .. The bad thing is the flange is not flat, it curves up on one end.
                      I hit the wall trying to form this piece, so decided to make a hammerform out of softwood.
                      So I took 6 pieces of 2x6 and bolted them together. Roughed part of it out with a saw, and am now shaping and sanding. I found that 36 grit layered sanding discs on an angle grinder works really well when they are fresh.

Anyone else on here hammerforming or making panels from scratch.. ?

Comment

• I have done a few. It is Wood against Wood will allow the metal to shrink. Steel against Steel will cause the metal to stretch. Rawhide should work a good as wood.

Comment

• Finally back at the lightweight collapsible wood stove.. making progress.

Comment

• I found a Hoover Windtunnel 2 vacuum at the curb today. The neighbor set it out for a charity to pick up. It had been rained on all night but otherwise looked OK. This neighbor is a recent immigrant from India and he has a tendency to throw things away when they stop working because he was never taught to use a screwdriver, hammer or tape measure. I'm not kidding. I figured that it was salvageable. I'd wanted a stronger upright to suck up the swarf in the garage.

I swapped my shop upright vacuum (Bissell) so the charity would get a working unit and set the Hoover inside to dry. When I got to checking, sure enough the hose was clogged. Zero air was getting through. I disconnected the other end of the hose and found great suction.

If you are eating, now is a goof time to skip to the last paragraph. I found the flexible hose was much stiffer than it should be. The bottom section leading to the roller brush was filled with wet and matted hair. Did not give that much thought as I grabbed a 12 inch set of forceps and started to pull matted hair out of the hose. It was packed so tight that I was pulling out golf ball sized plugs of hair. By the time I got the first 12 inches out I started to suspect that they'd used it to clean up after hair cuts. It was packed all way to the far end. I switched to the 36 inch 3 claw "pick up what you dropped behind the bench" tool. Eventually that reached it's limit too so I started from the other end.

I only spent 20 minutes renovating it. It works perfectly and leaves my mats free of all dust, dirt and metal chips! I sometimes like my neighbor.

Dan
                            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

• I ordered a cold saw. The Evolution Rage 3 DB with 10 inch blade, to be exact. It will replace my 15 year old 12 inch chop saw. The DB is for "double Bevel" which allows easy creation of crown molding. It will also do nice cuts on 1/4 inch steel up to 11 inches wide. It will be here Wednesday.

I chose the Rage 3DB because the linear slides will allow it to do everything the older saw does and then a lot more. It will be nice for very clean cuts of tubing and rod. And on top of that it's cheap on Amazon. Now all I have to do is to make a nice stand for it.

Dan
                              At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

• That vacuum situation is more than just a problem of never being taught to use tools. I would not expect immigrants from some places, including India, to use tools. In India, there are always servants. If you have no servants, and if you do your own work, you are either poor, or you are an anti-social tightwad. There are servants to run the vacuum, no need to know how to use it. You employ servants because the poor have to eat also. True in many places in S America also.

The problem lies in not really being aware of how anything like that works, how to use it, and yes, not having any clue how to fix things, or, perhaps even that they can be fixed. That is not limited to immigrants, but in many places, what we do as a matter of course would mark us as low class servant types. Status requires not doing that sort of work.
                                Last edited by J Tiers; 02-02-2019, 11:10 PM.
                                4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
                                Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Working...
                                X