No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Also I traded some work for a reefer off a wrecked trailer. Going to see if I can get it running and sell it.
    If nothing else sell the engine, it’s a 4 cly Yanmar diesel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by true temper View Post
      Also I traded some work for a reefer off a wrecked trailer. Going to see if I can get it running and sell it.

Looks like a man sized shop air conditioner to me.....
      If it wasn't done the hard way, I didn't do it.

Lillooet
      British Columbia
      Canada.

Comment

• Walk-in cooler to hang the deer and elk in...........Purrfict.
        Definition: Boat, a hole in the water you throw money into!

Comment

• I lost my job at the Nissan plant a week before Christmas. No problem, I got a new job driving dump truck. But with all the rain and flooding Tennessee has been getting as of late (dump trucks rely on construction and construction stops when stuff gets muddy enough to get equipment stuck), it gives me some time off to work on the shop.

I've been planning on running some of the aluminum pipe from Prevost, but figured since there's a metal compressor tank and metal in the cores of the refrigerated air drier that it wouldn't hurt to run some of the free steel black pipe fittings I've got laying around before the coalescer and filter. After the filters I'll run the aluminum and have dry, happy, rust scale-free air to drops around the shop.For some reason I felt like running the necessary 20+ feet of pipe between the compressor and refrigerated drier through the wall just before I frame it in and put up insulation and OSB. I've got a ton of extra wood I'm trying to repurpose from the previous home owner's dreadful workbench projects, so I figured I'd try my had at some way-overbuilt wooden pipe clamps in the walls.

I tend to get a little happy with the mini-router because I like the curved edges, as opposed to splintery unfinished corners. I'm also trying to use repurposed expensive 3/4" plywood from the aforementioned dreadful workbenches that the previous homeowner felt he needed to make a half-dozen of.

Still trying to find a good cut-off saw used. I might have to get a crappy DeWalt chop saw from Lowe's or something and make-do for now like I did at one of my old employers. Then I can finally finish-up my phase converter I've gathered everything to build.
          Last edited by Fear; 02-23-2019, 01:10 AM.

Comment

• Images are broken links, but I was able to take a screenshot:

http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Also I traded some work for a reefer off a wrecked trailer. Going to see if I can get it running and sell it.

I like that Pik. JR

Strong straps looks like. I want a tractor..

P.S. What did you pay for the refrigeration unit Bet you got a good deal. If its not broke (leaks) then its worth a lot of money as a unit. Even as cooler for a store.

I would keep it as one and wait. It is prolly an efficient cooler? Or not.

When I was a short line truck driver at 17 all the docks and drivers considered reefers as frozen food. That was in and around LA County 1982. JR
              Last edited by JRouche; 02-23-2019, 02:10 AM.
              My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

• The reefer was on a truck from Canada filled with 40,000 lbs. of blueberries. Truck rolled and and trailer caught fire spilling blueberries everywhere. By the time I found out about it the trailer had already been hauled into the lot all that was left was the floor of the trailer and the front part containing reefer.
                There was a few pallets of blueberries still in the front of the trailer, my wife and I got some and tried them. They smelled like burnt plastic.
                I help my friend that runs the wrecker service, I drive a truck when he is in a bind.
                Rather than take pay I get all the picking rights from abandon cars and other good stuff.
                So the reefer was free. Also got the air ride tandem axel and back half if frame. He kept the tires and wheels.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fear View Post
                  I've been planning on running some of the aluminum pipe from Prevost, but figured since there's a metal compressor tank and metal in the cores of the refrigerated air drier that it wouldn't hurt to run some of the free steel black pipe fittings I've got laying around before the coalescer and filter. After the filters I'll run the aluminum and have dry, happy, rust scale-free air to drops around the shop.
                  I should preface this by saying that I don't really know what I'm talking about...but in true internet commentary fashion, I'm not going to let that stop me!
                  With a mix of metals including aluminium, is there a risk of galvanic corrosion? I'm aware of the issue from water-cooling PCs where copper is often involved and aluminium is a pain. It might be fine as you don't really have the electrolyte running through it all that you do with a water loop...but it might be worth checking it won't cause you grief in the areas you cover it over with that really nice looking woodwork.

Comment

• I’m getting the band saw conversion up and running here is the video https://youtu.be/kHQgEVDrcio

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• My son and I went to Liberty Island and climbed up to the crown today. We bought crown tickets about ~6 months ago. Was a ton of fun and perfect cool temperature for climbing all of those stairs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
                        With a mix of metals including aluminium, is there a risk of galvanic corrosion?
                        I'm really not sure. Traditionally most shops I've worked at ran black iron pipe for air pipe. A few ran PVC which is a really bad idea. One chick that tried to teach me auto body had a section explode over her head. She said she never heard it, just woke-up on the floor with blood running out of her ears and 70% hearing-loss.

A decent shop that worried about the air quality (like a body shop) will run a refrigerated air drier, coalescer, filter and then a three-stage desiccant filter just before the paint gun. If you look inside a brand-new section of black-pipe, it looks pretty rough. In a system with all the filters there's no getting around a mix of aluminum and steel conduit and housings. I know the steel bolts going through aluminum brackets on the Kenworth 8-bag suspensions were always corroded in so bad you'd always twist them off before you could get them to break-free. We were always told it was because steel and aluminum are bad chemistry when the oxidation sets-in.

I'm not sure there's a reaction in air conduit from one ferrous section to a non-ferrous section.

Comment

• Interesting pics of the Liberty gal 3 ph.
                          I take it the wavy sections are the backside of the metal work ? Interesting seams.

Comment

I know some of my "off-grid" survivalist-types were from time-to-time bugging me for if I knew of a refer trailer for sale. They wanted to knock the axles out from under it and build it into their cabins to do long-term cold storage of food. Most of them run off of electric or diesel, so these guys could run them as regular walk-in coolers and then if a long-term power-outage hit, they could run them on diesel.

It would be easy enough to find a used restaurant walk-in cooler with a bad unit and adapt a refer unit to it and have a pretty slick doomsday walk-in cooler.

Comment

• If nothing else, those Yanmar diesels run forever. I'd think that unit also has a generator? Maybe not...

Comment

• Years ago I scraped out another reefer, ran good just wouldn’t cool. It had a Kubota diesel on it, made a high pressure mud pump for my directional road boring drill. Work real good. But its time for it to go I haven’t used it in years. The mud pump will put out 1000 psi at 45 gpm.
                                Reefer motor would make a very Good generator. The first one had 15,000 hours on it the guy I bought it from said he has seen them run for 40,000 hrs. It holds like 4 gal of oil and has 2 large oil filters on it.
                                The one I got now I am going to clean it up and start it making sure it cools good and try to sell it.
                                Last edited by true temper; 02-23-2019, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X