No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All this talk of Brussels sprouts has made me make them for supper tonight. Smothered in a cheese sauce...delicious! Thanks guys!

Comment

• Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
      Last Sunday evening some strong winds blew through the area, and I heard a loud bang. I found that some large branches had broken off the big sycamore tree and hit the roof of my adjacent house (used for workshop and storage). Same house that had sustained similar damage last March when a good size locust tree fell, clipping the corner of the roof and also damaging the cap on my truck. Here is what I found when I took a good look Tuesday, but most of the debris is wood and stuff from dismantling the old shed. There is just a piece of wood soffit knocked loose, and the limb that was responsible:

I've contacted the tree expert who removed the big cherry tree (logs are visible above), and trimmed some large limbs from the sycamore. But apparently there were some dead or weak branches higher up. I'm hoping he can go up there and check the rest of the tree and maybe trim the ends off the top. He also should be able to repair the roof. Another contractor gave me a price of $2450 for the repair of the corner on the other side. That seemed rather high. But a neighbor needed a new chimney cap and re-pointing of some bricks, and got an estimate of $6500! He got other estimates of $1200. Prices seem to depend on how busy or how hungry someone is.
      No meter in the meter housing? Abandoned house?

Comment

• I had planned to get electric service installed, but they required a complete inspection, and the contractor I used had gone out of state and never got a permit. I'm powering the house with a #12 AWG UF buried cable. The house is just used for storage and workshop. The exposed portion of cable is visible alongside the house.
        http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
        Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
        USA Maryland 21030

Comment

I had planned to get electric service installed, but they required a complete inspection, and the contractor I used had gone out of state and never got a permit. I'm powering the house with a #12 AWG UF buried cable. The house is just used for storage and workshop. The exposed portion of cable is visible alongside the house.
          Got any pictures of the inside? Also, did they look like that when you bought them?

Comment

• Put 124 km on the sled tonight. Trails are very rough and washboarded. We need more snow to smooth them out. Pretty stiff and sore right now, but nothing a few Guinness can't sort out.

Ordered some belts today for my belt grinder build. Going to try and hammer out a design this weekend incorporating a bunch of things I like from various design I've found over the years. Want to get one built before spring hits and I get into the sawmill build.

Comment

• Pictures from 1977 when I bought the first (duplex) house for $17,500:

Inside - 2001:

After some renovations in 2009:
              USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• I spent quite a while yesterday removing snow from my outbuildings and would recommend that anyone in Minnesota or the surrounding states also do so. This year's snow has a water equivalent that has not been seen since 1923 and that means it is heavy. I saw one quite new building with its roof collapsed and decided that even though my roofs had shed their snow earlier this winter I should relieve them again. I expect to spend another 2 to 4 hours removing snow again today, mostly because the sheds have not had snow moved near them and it is up to my crotch, making it hard just to get to the area. Some of the snow will need to be removed with a shovel from a ladder which should make it even more difficult.

Comment

Inside - 2001:
                  How come you can see the outside from the inside? Were the floor joists always open ended like that?

Comment

• This was when I was replacing the rotted mud sills, studs, and joists, as well as rebuilding much of the rear foundation wall, which is mostly below grade. The house was 100 years old when I bought it in 1977, and at that time I had plenty of energy and enthusiasm to tackle such undertakings. Around 1983 I developed back problems and I abandoned the project while I moved back to Towson to live with my mother and brother after my father died. In 1989 I bought the house next to this one, expecting it to be in better condition, but it had many of the same problems that had been covered over. Also in 1989 I became self-employed and money was tight. My brother and his buddies helped with a complete renovation project, including supply and drain plumbing (both houses used a hand-dug shallow well and had outhouses).

My back problems got worse and I couldn't get health insurance so my ability to work was limited and money remained tight. In 1996 my mother died and my brother got into drinking and drugs and depression, and I moved back here in 1999. I had to take legal action to get my brother out of the house in Towson and I renovated it (because he really trashed it), and sold it in 2005, but because of the legal action with my brother I had to pay about $30,000 short term capital gains tax, so I didn't get as much out of the sale as I had hoped. So now I have had four orthopedic operations over the last six years and things are better, but being almost 70 and on SSA means I don't have enough energy or money to finish many projects. And I also admit I am lazy.

For more details, here are some videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlQgyPw4Seo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G1KrogqShQ
                    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• So continuing on with the cross slide bolt saga.I decided since one bolt failed during quench,odds were likely that others had too,but maybe in a different way.So I decided to bead blast for a closer look at them and my hunch was correct-

Definately cracking from to aggressive a quench.I had done a replacement bolt for the first one and heat treated it as a test,ran it up to 1525F again,this time quenched in 30wt oil.I bead blasted it clean and looked for cracks,none were found.Put a nut on it and torqued it down to 90ft/lbs with no issues.

So turned up three more bolts,heated and quenched them just the same.Bead blasted them and then tempered them at 950F.Good results and IMO an even better finished color.
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
                        Definately cracking from to aggressive a quench.

So turned up three more bolts,heated and quenched them just the same.Bead blasted them and then tempered them at 950F.Good results and IMO an even better finished color.
                        Real nice and very smart of you to investigate. JR
                        My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

• Originally posted by JRouche View Post
                          Real nice and very smart of you to investigate. JR
                          X 2!
                          And what a nice hue they ended up at. Good lesson for all of us,
                          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

• s'pozed to snow, so after going to a tag sale, and buying a couple small items, I got back of cleaning up the various shop areas.

Today, I opened the equipment cabinet for the electronics area. Found two items that had been sitting in there and needed repair, that I decided to fix. And I did fix them. One variable transformer that needed a new cord, but was a bit tight in the wiring ares, and one capacitor substitution box that was thoroughly AFU.

Had never run into older paper capacitors that actually INCREASED in capacitance value, but when I checked, a couple capacitors in the box were somewhat over their values. In one case the cap (0.02 uF) was DC open, as it should be, but measured out as 3x the rated capacitance. And it had been within 3% of correct value when the box was made. Another (0.4 uF) was 20% high, and it had also been within 3% when the box was made. The rest were OK, although a few were out of tolerance, bit not enough to be an issue.

In the process, I found a few in the drawers that were also significantly over, like 1.5x marked value, when the tolerance was 10%. These were all older paper type, some in ceramic tubes others with a molded plastic enclosure.

I am used to capacitors decreasing in value, but these went considerably up, presumably from shrinkage of the dielectric material. No leakage issues though.

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

• shrinkage happens as we get older

Comment

• Gave my shop heater a quick blow job this morning to get her fired up.

Comment

Working...
                                X