No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever since I was little we had a Coot around.

Andy

Comment

• They need a boat license?

Comment

• I almost bought a coot this year. It was re-powered with a large single cylinder diesel and not counterbalanced well. The shaking up and down at idle would make you nauseous so I held off
        "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

• Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
          They never seem to put in stuff like that..... HVAC and plumbers always seem to try to save a few cents here and there. Dollars they scream about. And, of course. the customer pays the price. Twice. Once to do the poor job, one to fix it.

Neighbor paid to have new copper pie put in.... says so right on the contract.

So...... what did they ACTUALLY put in? Yep, they put in PEX, with the cheap connectors, and made her pay for copper.

They did not know that her niece is a lawyer.... that cost saving actually cost them double th price they were paid. But most people might have never known the difference.
          You quote for a job at a standard you do not get the job most work is now done to a price

Comment

• I’m in Austin TX on business and it’s cold (~31 deg) here. It was warmer in Boston!! I was lucky to fly out right before we had a big snow fall last night/today.

I’ve never been to Texas before, but my first impression is that it’s colder than New England

Comment

• Originally posted by plastikosmd View Post
              I almost bought a coot this year. It was re-powered with a large single cylinder diesel and not counterbalanced well. The shaking up and down at idle would make you nauseous so I held off
              Ours is on its 3rd motor or so. Most of the time they get destroyed when you submarine the unit. I have always wanted to swap in a snowmobile motor but have other priorities.

Ken, at least ours is registered as a boat. We use(d) it for work which was always in or around water.

Not much for creature comforts in these old things.

Last edited by vpt; 03-04-2019, 05:59 PM.
              Andy

Comment

• Not much for creature comforts-You can say that again,that thing looks painful

Neat ride though,looks like it would be a fun resto/mod project.
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• Continuing on the "clear out the repair shelves" path... This dummy load for high voltage SMPS (typically the PFC circuit) was a real lashup. Made it a decent front panel and side walls. Got to exercise the X-Y table on the drill press a bit getting the panel holes lined up on the right spacing and centers,

Each pair of sockets is a resistor, the red/black are 1500 ohms 100W, the white.blue are 750/100W, and the open holes will eventually be a third value. The orange-purple are the patch points for the binding posts. By patching series-parallel connections, a considerable number of useful values can be made.

Last edited by J Tiers; 03-05-2019, 02:01 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

• Repaired tapered gib

Comment

• My sister in law wanted a bracket to hold her hair dryer and curling iron on the wall. Here’s the video https://youtu.be/xkjPFkArC10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                        I’m in Austin TX on business and it’s cold (~31 deg) here. It was warmer in Boston!! I was lucky to fly out right before we had a big snow fall last night/today.

I’ve never been to Texas before, but my first impression is that it’s colder than New England
                        yep, got my temporary face lift this morning. Just have to wait a couple of days and it'll get better. it was 80F a couple of weekd ago..

Comment

• Drove past a random granite worktop showroom with a cutting facility so took the opportunity to pick up an offcut to use as a "surface plate". It's 660 x 270 x 30mm with a polished top and cut sides - they're not polished but they are "perfectly" square when given a cursory check with an engineers square. Had a quick scout with a DTI on a height gauge and it seems to be +/-0.05mm - a total variation of 0.1mm. Not going to win any certification for lab-grade but should be good enough for marking out and checking stuff that doesn't need to be any better than 0.1mm precision. Welcome to the metrology department!

Comment

• That's pretty good. I bought a stone from Tandy Leather years ago for odds and ends leather crafting. When I checked it for flatness, it was out .003-.005" from end to end and it's only 12" square. It has several "cups" in it so it might make a good wash board. Or maybe a leather block.

Comment

• Just took the sharp edges off with a diamond file. Turns to powder very quickly so I'm not sure it's natural granite - could be some sort of manufactured epoxy type stuff. Not that it's a major issue of course. Checked for square again with a shorter blade (so it didn't hit the desk) and although the sides are perfectly square to themselves, they're a good few degrees off square from the top surface - which is the one that matters. Again, not planning to use the sides so it's not a real issue. There are a few slight pits in the top surface which mean the height gauge base doesn't slide as smoothly as you'd think but I suspect they may flatten down as it slides, given how easily the edges powdered under very light pressure from a diamond file. I'm figuring it's just very slightly raised at the edges where the polishing has gone over a slight pit. There's definitely gapping visible under the edge of a rule with a light behind it....but then, of course, a cheap rule doth not a straight-edge make.

Comment

• Thanks for posting that. I have a chewed up gib that I was going to try to build up by brazing but I am concerned about it cracking. This looks like a safer repair to attempt given my skill set.

bob

Originally posted by DennisCA View Post
                                Repaired tapered gib

Comment

Working...
                                X