X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave C
    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by ncjeeper View Post
    I brought home a 16" industrial G&E shaper. I would post some pictures, but its a pain to try and post now days.
    I just hate that so many folks say posting pics is a pain. Imho, once you take the time to REALLY learn the process it is no more difficult than using Photobucket. An added advantage that I just discovered is my multiple pics are being stitched together in one photo. I don't know if this is a feature recently added by George or something that has been available all along that I had missed before.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

• Cenedd
      • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Dave C View Post
      I just discovered is my multiple pics are being stitched together in one photo. I don't know if this is a feature recently added by George or something that has been available all along that I had missed before.
      Your shelf pics? They're not stitched together, just the same size and with no space between them so they look contiguous.

What's more annoying than having to hacksaw through a bar too big to part because you don't have a bandsaw? Having just bought a bandsaw but having to hacksaw the piece because it's too short to clamp and get the portaband's shoe in. Ahh, first world problems

Comment

• J Tiers
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
        That's usually the key right there. I've use a diy extractor like that for smaller taps _6-32/8-32 etc. before and the gently wiggling back and forth to get it loose and started was key to the success. If you just jam them in, and try and back the tap out with the same ham fists that broke it in the first place you're doomed to fail.
        'Cept'n when it don't move either way, nohow....... or, worse, when it moves a LITTLE way back and forth. Each time a little extra force to try to move it further.... and eventually the extractor gives up. Most of them have "pins" made only of thin blue-tempered metal strip, and it has limited fatigue life. It's the cases where it turns a bit and "almost" moves farther are the bad ones. If it ain't moving at all, most folks "get it" and stop.

Not every breakage is due to "ham fists" in the first place. Hard spots, as well as the innate perversity of things in general can result in breakage even if you are babying the tap in. And, of course, power tapping, when 10 holes were fine and #11 goes south with the same process.
        CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
        Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
        Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
        I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
        Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• Dave C
          • Mar 2015

[QUOTE=Cenedd;1228608]Your shelf pics? They're not stitched together, just the same size and with no space between them so they look contiguous.
          Well hell, shows how much I know
          “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

• vpt
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
            'Cept'n when it don't move either way, nohow....... or, worse, when it moves a LITTLE way back and forth. Each time a little extra force to try to move it further.... and eventually the extractor gives up. Most of them have "pins" made only of thin blue-tempered metal strip, and it has limited fatigue life. It's the cases where it turns a bit and "almost" moves farther are the bad ones. If it ain't moving at all, most folks "get it" and stop.

Not every breakage is due to "ham fists" in the first place. Hard spots, as well as the innate perversity of things in general can result in breakage even if you are babying the tap in. And, of course, power tapping, when 10 holes were fine and #11 goes south with the same process.

I power tapped that one into the hole.

Andy

Comment

• Fear
              • Nov 2018

I've been looking for a fan cover for the Baldor 40hp I got to build my RPC for a few months now. A new one is a few hundred dollars, but only if you can find a dealer willing to order it for you. Might be part of the reason mine was missing it in the first place. I finally caught a break. I was at a local electric shop and asked the counter guys if he knew anyone that dealt in 3ph motors and he gave me the number for a dude located in the same town as me. This is wired because the town on my envelopes is the size of a postage stamp and there's no businesses in it to speak of. I called and told him what I needed and he said he'd get back with me. He then called back and said he wasn't having any luck with his suppliers willing to order a cover. He asked what the dimensions of this cover were. I told him and he called me back the next day and said he had a used one he'd give me for $50, it came off a different motor but should be easy to make work.

I got there and it turns out this dude rewinds motors and replaces well pumps but is so many miles back in the woods, I wondered if he had electricity. Like me he has the town on his address but lives way out in the woods. the narrow wooden bridge with no sides that I had to cross looked like something from the movie Evil Dead. It turns out the fan cover he had he had been using as a burn bucket of some sort. All the paint was long-gone and replaced with a thick layer of rust.

So I got to pull out a mini sandblaster I haven't used in 20 years along with a bucket of Black Diamond from TSC. Then spray-bombed it with primer and gold wheel paint from the auto parts place.

A couple of dings I don't care about and drilled mounting holes and it fit nicely.

I'm getting there.

Comment

• wierdscience
                • Jan 2003

Welded up a prototype water manifold for a gravel classifier,4" trunk with 2" branch lines and cleanout.

Turned up some slinger rings for a de-wattering centrifuge.The old ones were cast Aluminum,new are 6061-T6. 4-3/4" OD x 1-3/4" ID 1/2-13 stainless setscrews.

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• J Tiers
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by vpt View Post
                  I power tapped that one into the hole.

OK.... so?

I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.

Comment

• Cenedd
                    • Nov 2017

Fear: nice. Looking a lot better. Oddly satisfying to see something that looked such junk to start with turn into something good.

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
                    Turned up some slinger rings for a de-wattering centrifuge.
                    They look very nicely turned. Trying to work out how you did the smooth radius between the taper and the flat. Presumably you roughed in both and then finished with either a circular insert or radiused bit?

Comment

• wierdscience
                      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
                      Fear: nice. Looking a lot better. Oddly satisfying to see something that looked such junk to start with turn into something good.

They look very nicely turned. Trying to work out how you did the smooth radius between the taper and the flat. Presumably you roughed in both and then finished with either a circular insert or radiused bit?
                      Basically yes,I turned the minor OD step to dimension and length,then set up and turned the angled face with a 5/8" round insert for the cut.

Comment

• CCWKen
                        • Jan 2003

Wow! Those slinger rings are just plain pretty and easy to look at.

Glad you're not building any more of those 25-cent carnival rides.

Comment

• vpt
                          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                          OK.... so?
                          Power crammed into the hole till it stopped and broke, wedged in good, work the extractor and she came right out. Gotta know how to use your tools.
                          Andy

Comment

• wierdscience
                            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                            Wow! Those slinger rings are just plain pretty and easy to look at.

Glad you're not building any more of those 25-cent carnival rides.
                            Hey them Carnival rides cost a $1 now old timer

Comment

• jdedmon91
                              • May 2015

Chris wanted a bracket to hold her necklaces in the bathroom. So I grabbed some aluminum and knocked out one. Here is my video showing it https://youtu.be/WYEC-83cgb4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• J Tiers
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by vpt View Post
                                Power crammed into the hole till it stopped and broke, wedged in good, work the extractor and she came right out. Gotta know how to use your tools.
                                OK, that was how the tap broke.... wasn't quite sure what the comment was pointed at....

Your good lock that it came out...... good on you! I am pretty sure if it was mine, it would have been in 3 interlocked pieces that jammed up in both directions.

Comment

Working...
                                X