Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fear View Post
    I've been looking for a fan cover for the Baldor 40hp
    A couple of dings I don't care about and drilled mounting holes and it fit nicely.

I'm getting there.
    Love it. Great preservation. That lid will out live you, just sayin.

40hp-3ph. Wow! You really are swing for the fences huh? I like it.

I thought I was a lil overboard with a "Fitch" design 5hp-3p and a 15hp american rotary unit. I was thinking about doing a full on three phase line going through my garage to have it everywhere but got lazy. It powers a small 4" lathe.

There is potential though

Oh, my 5hp does not have a fan and it powers a bridgeport mill just fine. No need to go overboard. JR

Comment

• Originally posted by JRouche View Post
      Love it. Great preservation. That lid will out live you, just sayin.

40hp-3ph. Wow! You really are swing for the fences huh? I like it.

I thought I was a lil overboard with a "Fitch" design 5hp-3p and a 15hp american rotary unit. I was thinking about doing a full on three phase line going through my garage to have it everywhere but got lazy. It powers a small 4" lathe.

There is potential though

Oh, my 5hp does not have a fan and it powers a bridgeport mill just fine. No need to go overboard. JR
      I've considered using 3 phase but decided against it after pricing what it would cost for the power company to bring the line in the 4 miles.

Comment

• I am still unpacking, sorting, and figuring out how to store all the small stuff. I moved my shop in June and still haven't found everything. I did take some time to go dumpster diving for raw material.

Comment

• In today's schadenfreude bulletin..... Idiot injures himself on a vise.
          Crush injury? Nope, sliced clean through thumbnail when tapping a G1/2 thread (BSPP - about 3/4”). Backing off the tap to break the chips and caught my thumb between the tap handle and the corner of the vice jaw. Normally have rubber-faced magnetic soft jaws on but needed the extra grip on this short 304 cylinder. Have taken a file to the jaws and knocked the corners down for the inevitable'next time'. Definitely Beer O'Clock!

Comment

• finished my Dad's 70th birthday present

Comment

• Matt, that's great! I guess that you're about the age to my son, I'd treasure that if i was your dad!
              I cut it off twice; it's still too short
              Oregon, USA

Comment

• Model engineers meeting

I went to a meeting of the Mid Valley Model Engineers today. It was about an hour north of my home. A great bunch of guys! I'm a newbie there, our local group dwindled away with a few losing interest, and many more passing away.

What a surprise it was for me to remember the home and shop of Jim, the host of the day! about 55 years ago, my favorite uncle's best friend, George, lived at the very same home and shop. I was just a kid, and George built a new home and shop a couple blocks away after he retired. So, I visited both shops in my otherwise mis-spent youth. Uncle Cecil lived a couple miles away. These men were responsible for my addiction to the home shop lifestyle. Both have passed many years ago. I wish they were able to live much longer, and long enough to know that they passed along something very valueable to me. Rip Cecil and George.
                Oregon, USA

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim Clarke View Post
                  I went to a meeting of the Mid Valley Model Engineers today. It was about an hour north of my home. A great bunch of guys! I'm a newbie there, our local group dwindled away with a few losing interest, and many more passing away.

What a surprise it was for me to remember the home and shop of Jim, the host of the day! about 55 years ago, my favorite uncle's best friend, George, lived at the very same home and shop. I was just a kid, and George built a new home and shop a couple blocks away after he retired. So, I visited both shops in my otherwise mis-spent youth. Uncle Cecil lived a couple miles away. These men were responsible for my addiction to the home shop lifestyle. Both have passed many years ago. I wish they were able to live much longer, and long enough to know that they passed along something very valueable to me. Rip Cecil and George.
                  Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. That must have been some eye opener going into the same driveway after all these years.
                  Did you know beforehand that Jim's place was George's home before you went? Ironic that someone into the machining art still resides there, must be the magnetism.
                  Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                  Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

• They must have been impressed when you told them of your earlier visits..

Comment

• I had to install a Y fitting in a water line on the side of a mountain. It was pouring down rain the whole time. my wife and I did the whole job ourselves. Her role was to be the spotter for the pipe while I was running the excavator. She did great and kept me from destroying things in the hole. The problem was we were not exactly sure where the pipe was so we had to did around a bit to find it.

Once we found the pipe and I had enough excavated to be able to dig without a spotter she beat feet to the house! So I was alone on a Sunday afternoon in the mud. The Y fitting is so we can run a wire snake in the pipe to exactly locate it and mark it out accurately. Next week a surveyor will come with his accurate GPS equipment and we will capture the locations along a 800 meter pipe for future purposes incase the stone markers get disturbed by foresters working.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

• Originally posted by 754 View Post
                        They must have been impressed when you told them of your earlier visits..
                        Yes, they were interested in my story. And the current owner was aware of George, but we didn't get around to discussing much of his history there.

I looked up his address on google maps, and noticed that he was just past the golf course. I didn't remember the street name. I went ahead and found my uncle's street, which is north and east a little. There's lots of places in that area, and as we got closer I had the thought about George as the gps said you have arrived. Soon as I walked into the carport I knew I had been there before.
                        Oregon, USA

Comment

• Broke out the trig to work out the taper on a truncated cone and extrapolate out to the final OD of an extension. Does EvapoRust work on trig skills?!

Comment

• Day off. I wanted to get out to the garage, but I have yet to make it off the couch. I've watched a few parts of a documentary series hosted by some hot English broad called Hidden Dangers Of The (Whatever) Period. Starts in the Edwardian Period, and goes all the way up to the 50's. Basically ways people died from technologies of the past. It would seem, people were just as stupid in the past as they are now. I did mange to crack a beer 20 minutes ago. I'm losing my edge though. I've been working on the same 12 pack of beer for about 6 months now. Getting old ain't all it's cracked up to be. Oh, this is a what did you do that was productive today thread, sorry, nothing.

Comment

• It's planting season.... actually past that. Seeds went into more flats today. Next I get to fight with the lighting systems..... LED light does not yet seem to make plants as happy as the combo of cool white and warm white fluorescent tubes, the fixtures are at end of life, and new fixtures for T12 or even T8 are not as easily available as they were when the system was set up.
                              4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

• Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                                I had to install a Y fitting in a water line on the side of a mountain. It was pouring down rain the whole time. my wife and I did the whole job ourselves. Her role was to be the spotter for the pipe while I was running the excavator. She did great and kept me from destroying things in the hole. The problem was we were not exactly sure where the pipe was so we had to did around a bit to find it.

Once we found the pipe and I had enough excavated to be able to dig without a spotter she beat feet to the house! So I was alone on a Sunday afternoon in the mud. The Y fitting is so we can run a wire snake in the pipe to exactly locate it and mark it out accurately. Next week a surveyor will come with his accurate GPS equipment and we will capture the locations along a 800 meter pipe for future purposes incase the stone markers get disturbed by foresters working.

Those kinds of days are always the most memorable!
                                Andy

Comment

Working...
                                X