Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DennisCA View Post
    Mowed the lawn 1st time this year.

My ****ty old abused lawnmower never likes waking up from winter sleep. I couldn't even pull the cord it was stuck in place, had to remove the top and use a board to forced the motor to cycle a few times. I don't think it's good for the motor, I dunno what the reason was, rust on the inside of the cylinder, or old gasoline varnished to the insides, made a racket that went away as I got it running. Think it has less power than it used to. I hate working on engines but I think I need to be kinder to it. Perhaps open it up and see if there's anything obvious to my non-mechanics eyes.

It started easy using Aspen fuel though, that stuff is magic. I'll switch to regular gas later, and back to aspen when autumn comes so the system is free of regular gas for winter again. I should have done that a long time ago, it doesn't go old and varnish surfaces or anything like that.
    I have solved all summer starting issues by doing two things. One: I only run ethanol free gas. That stuff will last a year easy. It's about 25% more expensive for me. If you need it to last even longer, aviation fuel, 100 low lead will do it for ya. It's about twice as expensive and leaded of course. Second, I do the classic old run it out of gas. Then again, my mowers sleep inside. YMMV
    21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
    1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

• I've been off line most of the last 3 or 4 weeks. I was back in Oregon to help my mom after a repeat of December's operation. It went much better this time. While waiting for her to mend I reconstructed the fake walls in the basement after the newly installed waterproofing was found to be not quite up to it's name. My sort of uncle (step dad's brother in law) helped, so it took 3 times longer than it should have. Uncle took two days to tear it out and it took two weeks to rebuild it. Don't get me wrong, I could not have moved all the material without his help AND his pick up truck. The problem was that he started each day at 10am and quit at 3pm with a trip to costco for lunch and Lowes for supplies. The ultimate insult added to injury was that the water was coming up through a crack in the floor and a wall that had not been waterproofed. There was no reason to rip out the facades that protected the waterproofing.

It rained in Oregon today. We will know if all is well tomorrow.

While I was in Oregon, my wife called to let me know that her PC would not boot. We worked together and found a bad UPS. A week later she called again to tell me that our home network was broken. That was isolated to a router that committed harikari. She assured me that she'd be OK without it, but the home automation (Alexa and Smart Things) was busted. Sigh. Then last week she called to ask when I was coming home. It seems the kitchen floor was flooded when she ran the dishwasher. She found a leaking garbage disposal. Sure enough, when I got home I found a hole corroded through the side of the disposer.

So to bring it on topic... Today I installed a new kitchen sink and garbage disposer. I also caught up on a few HSM threads.
      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
        I have solved all summer starting issues by doing two things. One: I only run ethanol free gas. That stuff will last a year easy. It's about 25% more expensive for me. If you need it to last even longer, aviation fuel, 100 low lead will do it for ya. It's about twice as expensive and leaded of course. Second, I do the classic old run it out of gas. Then again, my mowers sleep inside. YMMV
        Talking about expensive, the Aspen fuel mentioned by Dennis is 20 usd/gallon
        But it's also as good (or actually even better than) 100LL aviation fuel and easily available around here.

It's all that I use on lawnmower and chain saw. Pricy but we have small yard so one gallon (or 5 liters in this case) last whole summer.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
          Well they sell Aspen gas everywhere here so it's what I prefer. It's an extremely pure form of gas that has no benzene, no aromatic hydrocarbons or other volatile compounds, just pure alkylate gasoline. When you run a chainsaw or mower or snowblower with it, you can't even see or smell the exhaust.

Comment

• Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
            Talking about expensive, the Aspen fuel mentioned by Dennis is 20 usd/gallon
            But it's also as good (or actually even better than) 100LL aviation fuel and easily available around here.

It's all that I use on lawnmower and chain saw. Pricy but we have small yard so one gallon (or 5 liters in this case) last whole summer.
            Originally posted by DennisCA View Post
            Well they sell Aspen gas everywhere here so it's what I prefer. It's an extremely pure form of gas that has no benzene, no aromatic hydrocarbons or other volatile compounds, just pure alkylate gasoline. When you run a chainsaw or mower or snowblower with it, you can't even see or smell the exhaust.
            20 a gal?!? I'll pass. My Alcohol barely costs that much lmao. What I've got works well for me, since I go through about 5 gallons a year, I'll stick to the no-ethanol.

As far as what I did today, reinstalled a Bridgeport 1J head.
            21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
            1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

• I've been running my lawn mower on regular gas, which is why I've had problems, I think I'll keep doing it for the majority of the time as I said, but I'll make sure to use the good stuff before quitting for the season.

Also cleaned some parts, getting ready for reassembling the Deckel.

Comment

• Originally posted by DennisCA View Post
                I've been running my lawn mower on regular gas, which is why I've had problems, I think I'll keep doing it for the majority of the time as I said, but I'll make sure to use the good stuff before quitting for the season.

Also cleaned some parts, getting ready for reassembling the Deckel.
                If you have any 2 cycle equipment, try racing gas. Mine starts with no problem and over winters with no problems.

Comment

• Originally posted by Willy View Post
                  Dumping on folks just because they have less is getting a little old.
                  Humility and people skills aren't your strong points are they?

I'm sure you have some good qualities, perhaps display those instead.
                  You're absolutely right and I'm sorry. Paul, you're a good guy and don't deserve that.

Comment

• I posted the 2nd part of this video series. If you always wanted a speed handle for your vice but don’t have a 6” Kurt that the commercial ones are made for here is how I do it. https://youtu.be/SXSVa5ezX94

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Plunger, that is awefully bloody impressive!

I took some pics around the plant

couple more cranes, light ones....I think we're going to get 36T 115' box girder job....that'll be big! Other shots are a lugger truck body (hopefully new product line) and some frame parts for a large boiler

Last edited by Mcgyver; 05-17-2019, 09:44 AM.
                      in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

• My wife was complaining about the bathroom and wanted a remodel. So I put the forks on the tractor and moved it.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                          You're absolutely right and I'm sorry. Paul, you're a good guy and don't deserve that.
                          Thanks Adrian!
                          That's the kind of guy I knew was in there.
                          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

• Pulling some firewood with the Quadractor after a quick tuneup in garage
                            Still need to change some belts and paint. All in time

Short video of a little 8hp at work
                            https://youtu.be/qTwiyE7ChuM
                            "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

• Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                              Your humor doesn't really upset me, but thanks for the apology. I've always enjoyed the challenge and satisfaction of fixing old and broken stuff, and in this case I feel better about helping a guy who is basically homeless and without the resources and skills to get a job that would enable him to live a "normal" life. Those of us who brag about our expensive houses, machine tools, electronic toys, and other material possessions, often do not realize how privileged we have been just because of our genetic code and the environment in which we were born and raised.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/dayshavedewi/what-is-privilege

http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                              Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                              USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                                Those of us who brag about our expensive houses, machine tools, electronic toys, and other material possessions, often do not realize how privileged we have been just because of our genetic code and the environment in which we were born and raised.
                                Privilege that is provided to you can open some doors for you, but ultimately you need to take complete ownership and drive your own destiny and create your own privileged environment. Do what you enjoy, but do it better than everyone else, want it more than everyone else, put more effort into it compared to everyone else, or at least strive to and I guarantee if you're doing what you love, it's not difficult to become highly distinguished in your field.

Comment

Working...
                                X