What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
    Woke up 2am because its not dark anymore and birds are singing loudly outside. Time to put blackening curtains to bedroom as it barely gets dark at midnight
    See velcro to the edge of the curtains and then stick the other side to the window frame with the self-adhesive. Works quite nicely.

Comment

• Are you near Doc Nickle, or Canadian?
      Or,.some even more exotic place?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by tlfamm View Post
        A second congrats from me. I do however wonder at the collision of Brit-speak and Texas-speak. How does that work, I wonder?
        Thanks! It works just fine - I speak more slowly and say ya'll every so often. Then I'll say the I need to get my trousers out of the boot and they look at me like I'm an alien

Comment

• Spent my extra cash stash on a Harbor Freight plasma cutter at a yard sale. I have posted some question in the welding section. need some help. Thanks.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
          Oregon Coast

Comment

• Originally posted by shampine1 View Post
            Are you near Doc Nickle, or Canadian?
            Or,.some even more exotic place?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
            Doc Nicle appears to be about same latitude but other side of north pole! If I head to north pole for 3300km and and continue another 3300km to south from there I'll end up next to Kenai Alaska.
            Canadians seem to mostly live somewhere in the tropical south

And nowadays I consider myself living in the south! Orginally from Oulu in middle part of Finland that is about same latitude as Fairbanks Alaska.

Comment

Doc Nicle appears to be about same latitude but other side of north pole! If I head to north pole for 3300km and and continue another 3300km to south from there I'll end up next to Kenai Alaska.

And nowadays I consider myself living in the south! Orginally from Oulu in middle part of Finland that is about same latitude as Fairbanks Alaska.
              I live in the "tropical south" part of Canada but for one year I lived and worked in the Yukon at a latitude almost the same as Fairbanks. The difference between daylight hours in the summer and in the winter is amazing and really has to be experienced to be appreciated and I'm very glad I did!

Comment

Mostly we're a sensible lot . I'd speculate 99.99% have never been that far north. Furtherest I've been is Fort Mac, only 56.7 degrees, but I bet 99% haven't been that far north. Its dismal enough that there's little compulsion to do anything but turn around. Many Americans think of us as cold and up there, but they forget the curve.....Toronto is the the same lat as Portland Maine, just above Boston and below Seattle. Still, too bloody cold for my liking.
                Last edited by Mcgyver; 05-25-2019, 08:30 AM.
                in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                  Mostly we're a sensible lot .Many Americans think of us as cold and up there, but they forget the curve.....Toronto is the the same lat as Portland Maine
                  Not just Americans, unless I check it on map its hard to remember/believe that Toronto is lot more south than Paris, Milano or Venice.

Comment

Not just Americans, unless I check it on map its hard to remember/believe that Toronto is lot more south than Paris, Milano or Venice.
                    below A good deal of Europe, London, Paris, Berlin....but we lack the gulf stream so the weather still sucks. And our public spaces are ugly in comparison, and the food isn't as good
                    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

• Yes. Where I live is almost on same latitude as Aleppo in Syria. Where I grew up it got to-40C, but was not that much farther North. No gulf stream to heat it up.

The gulf stream, if it quit or moved, would make most of Europe very different. And some other places also.
                      4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

• Yup, Latitude only tells part of the story. Where we went fishing last weekend was only at 46.6* yet there was still small patches of snow/ice throughout the bush. 2 weeks before we went in there was still 18" of snow and the guides had trouble with the quads in spots and had to winch through them.

I'd thought that was the farthest north I'd been, until I looked at a map....... Riviere du loup in Quebec, is actually at 47.8* and I've been through there twice on my way to the eastern provinces. Where I live is at 44*.

On a side note I find it nice how google maps now rotates as a globe while zoomed out, and not a flat panning map like it used to. Not sure when they made the switch, but I just noticed it. Must drive the flat earthers bonkers when looking up directions.....

Comment

• Finally got some fish pics, although he reduced resolution so he could text them....
                          Rainbow, released

Laker, kept this one to eat.

My attempt at stretching the fish like they do on Instagram to make it look bigger lol

Didn't work so good. Sorry for the low res shots, it's the best I got.

I think those we the only fish we took pics of. The rest we threw back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                            Finally got some fish pics, although he reduced resolution so he could text them....
                            Rainbow, released

Laker, kept this one to eat.

My attempt at stretching the fish like they do on Instagram to make it look bigger lol

Didn't work so good. Sorry for the low res shots, it's the best I got.

I think those we the only fish we took pics of. The rest we threw back.
                            Hey nice looking fish Dan.
                            When you take the whole trip into context the fish are just a bonus on top of fantastic outing.

Personally I find when taking pictures of fish it is best to use a small aperture lens opening in order to increase the range of what will be in focus.
                            Then with one arm hold that sucker out to the lens while standing back.
                            I know from past experience this has the ability to make a 1 lb. rainbow look like a 12 pounder.
                            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

• Originally posted by Willy View Post
                              Hey nice looking fish Dan.
                              When you take the whole trip into context the fish are just a bonus on top of fantastic outing.

Personally I find when taking pictures of fish it is best to use a small aperture lens opening in order to increase the range of what will be in focus.
                              Then with one arm hold that sucker out to the lens while standing back.
                              I know from past experience this has the ability to make a 1 lb. rainbow look like a 12 pounder.
                              My cousin's husband is a big fisherman, and has "the pose" down to a science. I always compliment him on the length of his arms, and tininess of his fingers. He does land some monsters though, but really puts in the time on the water to deserve it too. Personally I find it hard enough to hang on to those grease pigs (lake trout) it's all I can do to hang on for the pic before I either release it or smack it in the head for the frying pan. Thankfully the fact that I've never really caught any particularly noteworthy sized fish makes it easy to just grab a quick pic of the first one, and relieve the burden of trying to snap pics of any others caught that day. I'd much rather pop the hook out in the net, and release them, avoiding the handling altogether.

Comment

• I had to fall some trees and dig out the stumps.

Comment

Working...
                                X