What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
    Woke up 2am because its not dark anymore and birds are singing loudly outside. Time to put blackening curtains to bedroom as it barely gets dark at midnight
    I sleep extra well in these conditions. Though to be honest, I always sleep well. Problem is waking.

Comment

• I burned a great big brushpile that has been accumulating at the back of my lot for the last five years. I have a heavily forested lot with a lot of oaks around the edges. Each year I pick up all the dead branches and carry them to the back of my lot. Township passed an ordinance three years ago saying I could no longer burn brush. Wife began complaining about the brushpile two years ago, and there was no way in Hell I was going to carry it stick by stick across the bridge, out from the back of my lot to the front, load it in my truck, and take it 12 miles to our nearest landfill. I've been waiting for a rainy, gloomy day so nobody would notice the smoke, and today was it.
      Brian Rupnow
      Design engineer
      Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Bored out of my mind, so trolling people on the internet(Reddit). I do not do such things to my HSM buddies.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

• I got one of the quill wheels to try on my mill from Jim Enos. Here is what I had to do to adapt it to my Lagun FT 2
          https://youtu.be/aI0IWIYHr3E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Out of town, 2 states over in Indiana, doing gardening tasks for my wife's aunt. Today was pulling out 3 large spirea bushes. These were to be replanted, so not doable with log chains and the truĉk. Had to do them by hand, cutting under but leaving a big enough root ball.

Took most of the day with shovels, spades and a 1" dia iron digging bar to get them out and replanted. Broke a shovel handle, and put a good bend in the digging bar. Work to do when I get home replacing the handle and straightening the bar. (The shovel is a good heavy welded straight handle type, worth fixing)

Two glasses of white zin (hey, it was what was available) and a good dinner later, and I'm ok. I think the next project is a drainage line to out over the cliff. Supposed to friggin pour tomorrow, not sure how much of that will get done.
            4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

• Originally posted by RB211 View Post
              Bored out of my mind, so trolling people on the internet(Reddit). I do not do such things to my HSM buddies.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
              1. I never get bored
              2. You are doing a fine job trying.
              3. You really miss your buddy, the Uber Troll don't ya?

Comment

• Oooooh TG, it'll run its course mymate, we've plenty to do haven't we....

Regards,
                Chris
                Chris....

Comment

• Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                  I burned a great big brushpile that has been accumulating at the back of my lot for the last five years. I have a heavily forested lot with a lot of oaks around the edges. Each year I pick up all the dead branches and carry them to the back of my lot. Township passed an ordinance three years ago saying I could no longer burn brush. Wife began complaining about the brushpile two years ago, and there was no way in Hell I was going to carry it stick by stick across the bridge, out from the back of my lot to the front, load it in my truck, and take it 12 miles to our nearest landfill. I've been waiting for a rainy, gloomy day so nobody would notice the smoke, and today was it.
                  Thats funny! I did the same thing Friday night. I started it at dusk to avoid any unwanted attention.
                  It was a mother of a pile after the vicious ice storms over the last few years stripping the majority of the branches from the trees on my 4 acre lot. The flames were at least 30' into the air.
                  The damn mosquitoes have hatched too, going to be a bad year for them with all this rain I figure...
                  Cheers,
                  Jon

Comment

• I have a row of millionaire homes up on top of the hill behind my place on a new subdivision road. My fire is hidden by a fairly thick band of "greenbelt" between them and me, so I was more concerned about somebody seeing smoke and calling it in. One good thing about burning dry brush is that it doesn't make a lot of smoke. I waited for a rainy, gloomy day so the smoke would be even less visible. No mosquitoes here yet.---Brian
                    Brian Rupnow
                    Design engineer
                    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• The Sheriff's department suggests everybody call before they burn trash piles. In case someone else calls when they see smoke from your burn. It saves a lot of false alarms. Also, for a small donation to the volunteer fire department, they'll come out to your property and monitor the burn for you. I live in the sticks so trash burning is a normal function around here.

Comment

• Had several trees come down over the winter, so that's what I've been doing as well.
                        Biggest problem with burning here is that I'm close to a well known party spot and people have a habit of wandering over thinking they've found another party

At my old house the township passed an ordinance banning fires. People complained, so a year later they amended the ordinance to allow fires intended specifically for cooking.
                        The ordinance may as well be erased, because everyone who wants a fire has a pack of hotdogs nearby.

Comment

• Originally posted by thaiguzzi View Post
                          1. I never get bored
                          2. You are doing a fine job trying.
                          3. You really miss your buddy, the Uber Troll don't ya?
                          1. That's a lie
                          2. I am the one being trolled(your post)
                          3. Yes
                          Last edited by RB211; 05-26-2019, 11:13 AM.

Comment

• **** What did you do today? ****

Let's stop bickering and snarking and get back on topic, (or, OT in regards to machining), for "What did you do today?". Of course, that also includes what I did yesterday and a few days ago.

So, continuing work on my enclosed porch roof repair. The porch was originally centered on the front of the house, but sometime well before 1989, when I bought it, someone had extended it 48" to the south, and enclosed it. But they did a rather poor job with a flat roof extension that pooled water and has always leaked. So I am ripping out that crap and replacing the flat section with the proper hipped roof to match the north side. In the process of stripping:

Hoping to get the framing done tomorrow and maybe finish the project by end of the week. Meanwhile, I had noticed a slight gas smell (garlic) around the stove, which has been connected for ten years "temporarily" through a (much too long) 3/8" copper tube through a hole in the stone wall to a small propane gas bottle. It had been done in an ugly rough manner by a contractor, and I haven't felt able to fix it until now, after healing from four orthopedic surgeries. It looks much better now, but there is still a gas leak in the connection to the stove, probably the steel fitting. I will be going to HD to find a better fitting, hopefully all brass:

I also replaced the ugly "window sill" installed by the contractor, with a piece of shelf board. More work and major cleaning to follow, but it's much nicer now:

OK, kids, get back on topic, or continue snarking. The choice is yours, but there may be consequences for misbehavior...
                            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• Electrically heated lunch box for wifey.

Could not find anything with decent performance so I build up one from 30mm polyurethane foam.
                              It's small in hopes to keep heat losses at minimum, enough for one large IKEA glass lunch box. 3.5L internal volume so almost american gallon.

Calculations showed that thermal resistance should be 6K/W so I'm hoping that 10w heater would keep the box 60 degrees above ambient.
                              That would be really great as even a large USB power bank would be able to power the lunch box in that case.

Comment

• More gardening tasks at wife's aunt's place. Spent today sliding around in soaking wet Indiana clay planting bushes, moving a large row of hostas, and suchlike.

Tomorrow, before we drive back, I get to tear down a fence. The house was built too close to an overly steep hillside, which has been receding toward the housr. I did get one part, the closest, reinforced with a tie wall having "deadmen" back into the more stable area. But other places, inclding that part of the fence, are receding, and that part has overtaken the fence.

What it probably needs is some 15 or 20 foot pieces of I beam, or even pipe, driven down into the ground to help prevent any large slippage. Doubt that will get done, I have no equipment to drive them.
                                4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
                                Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Working...
                                X