What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jdedmon91 View Post
    Started on a project today. Milling a flat sheet aluminum for a project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What exactly is happening here ? I can't really see what is being done ?
    Do you take a picture of everything you do on machine tools ?
    Last edited by 754; 05-31-2019, 09:25 PM.

Comment

• Something followed me home today....

Pretty light duty, meant for duct work I think (hence the crimp on the end), and the handle is broke and needs to be brazed but I think I can put it to work after a bit of cleanup. Cute little guy I just couldn't say no to. I Haven't bought a new addition to the shop in a while and was starting to get itchy lol

Comment

• rebuilt my old desktop PC that my eldest was using. It was a 10-11 year old AMD system that I built when we were in Australia (I think). A while back the PSU failed, so that got replaced. Then it just went dead, so I figured that the motherboard had gone. No funds to fix it, so she got my wife's old laptop instead.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago and someone round the corner put an old Dell desktop tower on the curb (yay for walking the dog). Hoofed that back home and opened it up - turns out that it had an Intel quad core CPU, 4GB RAM and a newer wifi card. Hoping that it had a dead PSU, I swapped the guts into my old PC and it fired right up. Only downside was that I didn't have the bracket to use my nice CPU cooler on the Intel chip (different sockets and mounting hardware) as it must have disappeared some move ago.

Rummage in the scrap bin

bit of jigsaw and file work, plus some cheeky threading turning a 6-32 thread into an M3x0.5 thread

screwed into a holder to drill/tap/face to length

standoffs in place

Comment

• heatsink mounted

everything back together

even found an antenna for the wifi card off eBay for $6, works a treat!

also fixed up the bird poo and leaf sweeper for the pool as the handle broke. Hopefully she won't break the 3/4" alu rod it now has!

Comment

• Ha nice fix! On my old nvidia 9600gt, the cooler fan died so I replaced it with a cheapo all in one watercooler. It got handed down to my parents, and after some many years the cooler pump died (no surprise, it cavitated contentiously after I refilled it and did a poor job bleeding it). So when the cooler died, I replaced the heatsink with an intel CPU cooler with some gross mods, and then glued an an AMD cpu fan on top. Cost to me: $0. The funny part is that it's way cooler and quieter than the original and has been working for almost two years now.

21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
            1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

• Thanks! I'd be proud of that gpu-cpu fix. The graphics card in this one has a couple of scrounged heat sinks cobbled on to it. Seems to work just fine.

Comment

• Since the weather has improved, we've had the umbrella up in the garden to keep the direct sun off. It's hit 26°C the last couple of days. It's been annoying me that the plastic bushing the base comes with is next to useless, so I made a new one. One of those "It'll only take me a few minutes" jobs. Really must start stocking a selection of pipe so I don't have to drill, bore and waste the centre!

The marks aren't a poor surface finish, it's a light press fit into an imperfectly round tube. What I'm going to call a shove-fit!
                The ring is not a feature, just where I started trying to part it, changed my mind and extended it by 20mm so I could make a lower ring for the bottom part and bore it all in one go. Great plan, forgot about it and bandsawed through it. Luckily it's rigid enough with just the top section.
                Had real trouble trying to part it too. Chattered like a kid after a sugary breakfast cereal (believe me!). Not sure if the insert was slightly chipped, just a smidge below centre or just wrong for aluminium. So I've ordered a box of 10 aluminium geometry inserts to find out!

....and the base, for context:

Completed this just in time....for it to start raining *sigh*

Also had fun replacing the oven element after it blew, tripped the RCD and took out half the house. Can ya tell where it's faulty?!

Comment

• Made this in to press brake a while ago.

Comment

• BBack from 2 wks in China
                    Pulled 2 rams off dozer for rebuild ( right lift and dump)
                    Off w backhoe and flail put on for summer field care

Last edited by plastikosmd; 06-02-2019, 10:01 PM.
                    "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

• I feel I reached a milestone this weekend with the reassembly of the Z-axis saddle. I've left out some of the procedure such as the reassembly and checking the oil drop rates and so on.

Unfortunately when lifting it up from the table it was resting on the piece of rubber I had under slipped away and it ground of a piece of paint on the saddle I hope I can get it patched later, extremely annoying to have to happen to a new paint job.

I moved the saddle up and down and when it got near the bottom I tightened the bolts on the Z-axis lead screw nut, that's so I can allow screw to center the nut.

And then, kittens.

Comment

• U had me at kittens..
                        "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

• Originally posted by DennisCA View Post

What is that room? Bathroom with stalls? Laundry room?
                          Andy

Comment

• Mud room I believe it's called in english. Glass door to left goes to bathroom / sauna.

Comment

• Gotta love those kitties
                              “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

• I upgraded my Asian bench grinder. I mounted the tool rests that I made up a while back for my deceased Baldor on it. So sit back and enjoy my video of putting Lipstick on a Pig https://youtu.be/xK87-cAcC4E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X