No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In my country even the buried wires get stolen.

Comment

• I went on a small shopping round on saturday to the local store, everything in Finland is very electronic, cash is almost gone. Well the store had problems with the reader, connection problems or bank issues. Several customers were not able to pay. So they wrote down what I owed and said I could come back later and pay. And I will.

Weird though, I knew had some cash on me but couldn't find it. It's good to have cash though, even though we seldom use it I think it needs to remain. We have plenty of people here wanting to rush into things and saying we should do away with cash.

Comment

• Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
        Umcommon to see that in the US. I have never seen such a "tangle", and I doubt any power company would tolerate such a thing.

In India..... well sure.....

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...60232012370510
        In India and Thailand they are not in tangles anymore... more like organic living nest

OK maybe "tangles" is bit overstatement but amount of wires, pole pigs, load reactors? and whatnot running everywhere in residential areas was striking in both Japan and US if you normally see them once every 200km.

Are those black cylinders load reactors or what? Too small to be transformer, too big for fuse?
        https://www.google.fi/maps/@38.80333...7i13312!8i6656

Comment

• Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
          In India and Thailand they are not in tangles anymore... more like organic living nest

OK maybe "tangles" is bit overstatement but amount of wires, pole pigs, load reactors? and whatnot running everywhere in residential areas was striking in both Japan and US if you normally see them once every 200km.

Are those black cylinders load reactors or what? Too small to be transformer, too big for fuse?
          Can't help with their exact purpose, but, those are on the telephone cables, not the power lines.
          If it wasn't done the hard way, I didn't do it.

Lillooet
          British Columbia
          Canada.

Comment

• Originally posted by 140mower View Post
            Can't help with their exact purpose, but, those are on the telephone cables, not the power lines.
            Ah I see. http://www.psc.state.fl.us/ConsumerA...ce/UtilityPole
            So it could be some sort of extension/junction box or lightning arrestor.
            Transmission and distribution lines, "pole pig" transformer, service drop to customer and at lowest level the telecom cables/fibers. No wonder it looks crowded sometimes.
            Last edited by MattiJ; 06-10-2019, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Those appear to be on the cable TV line, May be booster amplifiers, not sure. The wires go the the shorter "telephone pole", not the power pole.

Many electric wires are underground. It depends on the area. Here, across the street they moved lines underground, and gave people over there the choice to have the wires to the house put underground. But, there is an issue.....

To move the wires underground, the meter is moved to the back of the yard, in a small box. The conduit from the meter to the house must be installed by an electrician, at your expense. It will cost from $700 to $1000 to do that. Also, everything after the meter is your responsibility. When the meter is at the house, the wire to the house is already paid for, and the power company has to fix it if there is any problem. So you pay a lot of money for the privilege of taking more responsibility, and there is an underground wire that has to be moved if you have anything else built, or a pool installed, etc.

Of course, if it is your own wires, then you can have them run any way you want, maybe going around the area where you might put a pool, etc. But of course that will make it more expensive. If there is a building in the way already, or concrete driveway, gardens, etc, that all makes it even more money and hassle. For us, it would have to go around a garage, under a concrete walkway, a concrete driveway, and right through a fair sized garden. The workers would just cut the driveway and break out the concrete, and we would have to dig up the garden. There is no room to use a directional boring machine at the end of the conduit run, and they cannot turn sharp corners, so it would be a straight run even if they used the directional machine. It would actually be done in a trench through everything. So we would not do it unless forced to.

Not very many people want all that.
              Last edited by J Tiers; 06-10-2019, 12:45 PM.
              4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

The shorter pole to the right of the tall power pole has cable TV at the top and telephone cable below it. The cylinders in question are splice cases for the telephone cable.

-js
                There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post
                  The shorter pole to the right of the tall power pole has cable TV at the top and telephone cable below it. The cylinders in question are splice cases for the telephone cable.

-js
                  Yeah.... that should be right, . The booster for cable are usually a box on the pole.... just saw a couple while I was out. And those drip loops in the cable are another marker for that. the bottom one probably IS the 'phone, I had it backward.
                  4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

• Now that I no longer have the hotrod, I am slowly getting that bay in my garage a little more work friendly. I have a table out there that I run engines on, but have to drape an extension cord across the floor to have any electrical power. The lights over the table were pretty questionable too. Yesterday I did a search of my neighbourhood hardware store, and found two perfect lights to mount overhead. I have a steel beam running across the garage ceiling, and the new lights will hang from it. Also the vertical stem that runs down from the lights will have a 110 volt switched power supply which comes on and off with the lights. I worked all day on the weldment and finished it off with a coat of chassis black. My back is killing me tonight, but I feel good about accomplishing something. The guy in my model is 2" taller than I am, so I'm not too concerned about hitting my head on it.
                    Last edited by brian Rupnow; 06-10-2019, 06:03 PM.
                    Brian Rupnow
                    Design engineer
                    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Had a project where I need to cut a 4" hole in top of my electrical cabinet and thought I could do it on my Bridgeport! Silly me, I would of had to really gotten creative with the knuckle and ram to make up for not having enough Z. Was too lazy to redo everything... Instead I used my cordless drill and nearly stripped the gearbox in it.

Comment

• I’m working on an older suitcase generator I have. The carburetor needed replacement and I was lucky and found a replacement. Also the air filter was trash so I decided to adapt an air filter that I used back in my kart racing days. So the adaptor in the photo I machined up today allows that filter to fit the new carburetor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Went down to the old homestead yesterday and discovered this under one of the semi trailers we use for storage:
                          That's the biggest nest I have ever seen. Its at least 2-1/2 feet across.

Lots of discussion among family and friends as to whether they are wasps or hornets.
                          Whatever they are, I'm not getting any closer until next winter. Shot with my Nikon cool pix on full zoom from 20 ft. away
                          I also shot some video showing them swarming around the nest, but don't know how to post it here.
                          Last edited by Dave C; 06-10-2019, 10:39 PM.
                          “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave C View Post
                            Went down to the old homestead yesterday and discovered this under one of the semi trailers we use for storage:
                            That's the biggest nest I have ever seen.

Lots of discussion among family and friends as to whether they are wasps or hornets.
                            Whatever they are, I'm not getting any closer until next winter.
                            I shot some video but don't know how to post it here.

Know anyone with a drone?
                            Andy

Comment

• What to do with a drone?
                              “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uenk-bmbkTo
                                Andy

Comment

Working...
                                X