No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your choice make it universally appealing, or just make it work.
    I can see a pic of it with a 3/8 rad in my mind , when I first looked at the pic.

Comment

• The first part of the chamfering tool build https://youtu.be/jP46AZFaWYI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Not today but yesterday, played hooky from a 12 hr day shift at the refinery. While driving home from work Saturday the wife called breathless, asking how to turn off the house water. The 10.5 yr old ,9 year warranty hot water heater had a really aggressive leak that fortunately she heard pop. Lowe’s website has an “In Stock Only” feature in plain site. Home Depot website was not so friendly. Their loss.
        An easy trip to Lowe’s and a long Sunday spent doing the swap and finally getting the botched up hot water circulation system set up the way I wanted it. The builders did a horrible job that had lots of “Cold Water Only” parts and 3/4 to 1/2 and back connections. The door is 23”, the heater 22” but the builder put the furnace so far back the whole door frame has to come out.

***Machining Content: I used a 7/8 holesaw in the mill to fishmouth that support tube at the left side.
        Illigitimi non Carborundum 😎
        9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Comment

• Nice job on the WH install. I'm glad I'm all electric.

What is that panel to the left? Is that part of the ducting? Kind of dangerous having a gas burner close to HVAC stuff. The smallest leak could pull CO into the ducting.

Just thinking out loud.

Comment

• WOW...

I thought we had a tight space, but that is much tighter. That looks as if it violates the required "space around the device" for both the heater and the furnace.

I just had to get the HWH replaced.... it was a 22 yo "State" heater. started leaking in Tuesday, let go with a very loud "bang" on Thursday. I had to have plumbers do it due to local codes.

In our area, the water pressure is 100psi, and we thought the city might require a pressure reducing valve, but they did not, just an expansion tank (rated for 80 PSI max!!!).

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

• I think your house was built by the same clowns that did mine
              “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave C View Post
                I think your house was built by the same clowns that did mine
                I think you'll find they were part of the international guild of clowns - they have plumbers everywhere! They've certainly done work at my place.

Comment

• I live 7 miles from the border so most of the folks who worked on the house are from south of that. The foreman was ESL, but did a pretty good overall job. He wore those “Chuntaro” boots with the longest, pointiest toes I’ve ever seen. A few bottles of “Tres Generaciones” and my wife’s cousin being a licensed inspector during the build helped prevent worse nightmares.( Like a telephone pole 7 feet in front of the garage.) I was supposed to get a 4 ton and a 3 ton AC unit. Instead I got two 5 ton units, both York. The downstairs unit popped a copper tube a year later and neither the home warranty or York would cover it because of who did the install.

I love living in Texas but sometimes miss the New Jersey building codes.
                  Illigitimi non Carborundum 😎
                  9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Comment

• What did you do today?

I been flea market shopping. I’ve picked up over several trips some punch’s. The Starrett punches was loose in the bottom of a tray. Later I ran across some NOS Craftsman punch set. I wanted a place to store them on the bench top. So I rummaged around I the shop and found material to make this storage rack. It has room for expansion of if I find some other quality punches for a good buy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• I went to Lowes and bought three kitchen countertops for $7.77 each! They just barely fit in my Honda Fit:

My kitchen plan is this:

Lowes has some good prices on unfinished oak cabinets.
                      http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                      Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                      USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• After painting the sunporch floor (actually on the north side of the house), I started in on the unused, not assembled yard bench. After some painting of the sandblasted ends, I had to thread 5" of 3/8" rod. 3" one end, 2" the other, on a 4' rod of plain "double-bubble" hardware store steel. That forms a cross-brace for the end castings.

I have not attached my nice Wilton bullet vise to the bench in the real shop yet. I have a woodworking vise on it, and the space at the entry is too tight to put the Wilton in the most useful position. I need to fit the Wilton in, because the woodworking vise does not hold rod tightly enough for threading.

If I had taken it to the shed, there are vises available, one big blacksmith vise, and a smaller one, both attached to the bench. But no threading stuff out there. Did not want to do it on the lathe, too much unsupported length out the rear of the spindle. I put it vertically in the woodworking vise, using a pair of vise grips as a brace against the bench front to prevent rotation

There must be a slicker way to thread long rod than hand dies with the rod in a vise.

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

• Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                          Did not want to do it on the lathe, too much unsupported length out the rear of the spindle....
                          There must be a slicker way to thread long rod than hand dies with the rod in a vise.
                          Lathe steady with bearing tips but mounted on the bench instead of the ways? I've seen spiders mounted on the back end of the spindle for a similar purpose but there's nothing stopping you from taking it to extremes if you have the space for the rod to jut into.

Comment

• Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Hand die in "suitable" die holder spun by cordless drill. (really handy if you have dozens of slightly mangled bolts to fix)
                            Or if you are adventurous die holder in lathe chuck, bar fed with vise in toolpost. Or guide bushing in tool post and vice grips in bar..

Comment

• Made a lot of extra work because I was cheap. Making a 4-pin wrench and I wanted to use two off cuts instead of using up one bigger piece of metal, I was going to TIG weld the two parts together. Well the smaller part was too small anyway so I stick welded on more material and now I get to redo a lot of the work.

Comment

• Got a summons to be in a pool for Grand Juror selection. A first for me. I must have floated to the top of someone's list after just renewing my license to carry. I'm in a small county of about 50k people so jury calls are frequent but I've never been called for a Grand Jury. Even made it to Federal Court up in the big city about 20-odd years ago. Should be a fun experience but I doubt I'll be empaneled. I was a LEO in a prior life.

Once you hit 70-years old, you can ask for an exemption. I've got about a year and half to go.

Comment

Working...
                                X