Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• had some help writing an exam for Thursday
    [/QUOTE]

Beautiful dog, looks exactly like the one I had. She died a couple of years ago I sure miss her.
    Would like to find another one like that.

Comment

• I bet you ace the exam!

Comment

• Passing by Lebesby and Bekkarfjord town in Norway:

Pretty sure about most northern dairy farming in the world. Above 70N!

Comment

• Few kilometers away from previous photos its 300m above sea and snow havent melted yet completely.
          Off to catch some of the mysterious arctic char:

Comment

• Originally posted by Hopefuldave View Post
            guessed wrong and found the suds pump contactor would lock in nicely -- and guess who had the pipe off and sprayed ceiling, self, everything nearby with years-old soluble coolant and an interesting blend of bacteria....
            You're not the only one with that sort of....talent. I run water-cooled PCs and you can almost guarantee that some escapes during any kind of maintenance. My best was like yours, run the pump with a tube disconnected and pointing skywards. Less volume but probably more pressure....you know, for the distance! This is the reason I always use clear, colourless coolants!!

Originally posted by Hopefuldave View Post
            Couple of pics in my album "Test 2U electricals", nice vintage contactors, fuses, overloads etc. with a coating of dusted oil...
            Ah, the era when wiring was an art form in itself. Back when people gave a damn about the quality of their work....and had the time to do so.

Comment

• Originally posted by true temper View Post
              Beautiful dog, looks exactly like the one I had. She died a couple of years ago I sure miss her.
              Would like to find another one like that.
              thanks, she's a complete goofball and loves her people. Worst guard dog in the world. I'm sorry to hear about yours, it's always a terrible loss. She's probably a black mouthed curr (!) with a bit of labrador mixed in. They seem to be a Texas hill country sort of dog as lots of people have come up to us to ask about her when we're out and about. Maybe some sort of cattle/ ranch dog? Might be worth looking down here if you're able, there are always lots of dogs needing adoption (she was from a shelter too).

Originally posted by Tungsten dipper View Post
              I bet you ace the exam!
              I think I'll do fine, it's my students I'm worried about

Comment

• Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post

I think I'll do fine, it's my students I'm worried about
                Isn't the dog one of your students?

Comment

• I'd probably better not make any comment about that

Comment

• Been milling stainless....for a better class of splinter!

Comment

• I had a fluorescent shop light in my leaky old shed. It still worked, but only one lamp would light. I popped the ends off and looked at the ballast. This end was badly rusted, but worked:

The other end didn't look so ugly, but the capacitor was shorted:

This is the lamp, after a light coat of spray paint:

I measured the inductor as about 350 mH and the capacitor is 5 uF, with an 800k resistor across it. That is a series resonant L-C circuit for 120 Hz, and is in series with the fluorescent lamp. Same circuit on both ends. It's an instant-on circuit that is much lighter than comparable non-electronic ballasts. I replaced the shorted capacitor with a new polypropylene component:

I was curious about how the circuit works, so I simulated it:

The zener diodes roughly model the behavior of a fluorescent tube.
                      http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                      Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                      USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                        I had a fluorescent shop light in my leaky old shed. It still worked, but only one lamp would light. I popped the ends off and looked at the ballast. This end was badly rusted, but worked:

The other end didn't look so ugly, but the capacitor was shorted:

This is the lamp, after a light coat of spray paint:

I measured the inductor as about 350 mH and the capacitor is 5 uF, with an 800k resistor across it. That is a series resonant L-C circuit for 120 Hz, and is in series with the fluorescent lamp. Same circuit on both ends. It's an instant-on circuit that is much lighter than comparable non-electronic ballasts. I replaced the shorted capacitor with a new polypropylene component:

I was curious about how the circuit works, so I simulated it:

The zener diodes roughly model the behavior of a fluorescent tube.
                        I wish I had your knowledge. Bottom line . Can you now see in the dark.? Did it work.?

Comment

• I still can't see in the dark, but the lamp provides plenty of light from both tubes now. This type capacitor costs about $3.50, so it's worth replacing. The one that failed looks to be very cheaply made. I think I have one or two other similar shop lights that may have gone bad.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...Ujx6nfUQ%3D%3D

The choke (inductor) would cost about $12, so replacement is probably not cost effective:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...gb6QZVpSKlQ%3D

A complete replacement electronic ballast for two 48" (T12) tubes up to 60 watts is about $20:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-2-Bulb-R...llast/50260953

And a complete shop light is only about $17:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Lithonia-Li...-in/1000410165

And Home Depot often has LED shop lights for $20 with coupon. But Walmart has 45 watt LED shop lights for just $22:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tou...0-Lm/345205251
                          Last edited by PStechPaul; 07-17-2019, 05:38 AM.
                          http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                          Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                          USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• Made some new pins for a couple of hydraulic cylinders. Instead of turning some larger stock down, I decided to buy some pins for $3.00 each and groove them for a washer. Froze the pins and heated the washers after boring, and pressed them on.

old pin

new pin with groove turned for washer

washer pressed on

pins sandblasted

powder coated

spot for installation.

Comment

• Very nice pins, Ridgerunner.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arcane View Post
                                Very nice pins, Ridgerunner.
                                Thank you very much.