No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Election day, not working. Voted on some local issues, took a little over 500 pounds of Aluminum to the scrapyard.

Comment

• Today I did 14,800 steps in steel toe boots, climbed 32 flights of steel steps and a half dozen ladders. I wrote 9 work permits including 4 fresh air, Motorized Equipment Entry, an excavation and 3 hot work. The trainee in the other unit needed guidance, so I helped out over there until I was called back to the control house for BBQ lunch and cake.
      Then in the afternoon I encountered a serious situation I’ve never seen in my 15.5 years at the refinery and while handling that, got gassed from the fresh air job a couple hundred feet away when the wind shifted. Shortly after that I fell off my bicycle for the first time in 5 years. I got up ok, finished cleaning out my lockers, left some “Easter Eggs” around the area, wrote and presented my unit Turnover and did something else I’ve never done before...

I RETIRED 🥳
      Illigitimi non Carborundum 😎
      9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Comment

• Welcome to the rest of your life with time to play. Seriously it, won't be long before you'll be wondering how you ever had time for a regular job.
        Last edited by Dave C; 11-06-2019, 01:21 AM.
        “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

• Tim, congratulations on making it to retirement!

Comment

• Trying to finish Harvest it’s-20c and we’re Combining Barley, some snow on the ground we’re about 96% done.

Comment

• Converted my Snapper 52" hydro walkbehind mower to a plow for winter duty (switch out mowing deck for plow, replace intake to get warm air from around muffler, mount electrical controls), finished up painting the plow and extensions (I made the ends of the plow removable so it could fit on my truck for transporting it, and made some extensions to increase the amount of snow it could put), attached new plastic wear bar in place of the worn out metal one. Still have to fix the wiring for the light, one of the wires broke while it was in storage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1515.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	1837290

Also got my Ariens Powerbrush working. Somehow, while in storage, the drive belt came off, and the idler bracket used to engage/disengage power to the brush head moved so it would catch on the main brush pulley before the idler would engage). Also, last winter I had strapped it to my trailer poorly, and the handlebars caught on a fence, bending them. Put on the drive belt, and cut off the interfering bit of the idler bracket (that part of the bracket is used on Ariens snowblowers to release a pulley brake), fixed the handlebars, and it's back in business.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
                Trying to finish Harvest it’s-20c and we’re Combining Barley, some snow on the ground we’re about 96% done.
                howlee sh*t, Your harvesting timetables are surely different compared to here.

Is it common to harvest around there this late or after first snow/freeze?
                Never seen done here, probably too wet to ever wait that long.

Comment

• Originally posted by MattiJ View Post

howlee sh*t, Your harvesting timetables are surely different compared to here.

Is it common to harvest around there this late or after first snow/freeze?
                  Never seen done here, probably too wet to ever wait that long.
                  This is not Normal never Combined in those temps before in my 38 yrs of farming.Wet ground and wet weather has delayed harvest severely,usually allways finished by first week in Oct but the last 4 falls have been brutal.Some areas in Alberta are only 50% done.

Comment

• Formed, mixed, poured, and finished a couple of slabs earlier this year.

Last edited by Ridgerunner; 11-07-2019, 12:36 PM. Reason: pictures were tiny

Comment

• Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post

This is not Normal never Combined in those temps before in my 38 yrs of farming.Wet ground and wet weather has delayed harvest severely,usually allways finished by first week in Oct but the last 4 falls have been brutal.Some areas in Alberta are only 50% done.
                      They're just wrapping up beans in Southern Ontario as well. I hope for their sake it's all off now, we just had our first dusting last night. They had a heck of a time getting it in because of rain, then a beautiful growing season, and now it's tough to get it off again. Lots of corn still in the fields to. The winter wheat crop was great if it had been planted in time, and I couldn't believe the amount of straw coming off some of the fields. Hope all you guys get an easier year in 2020, you've had enough to deal with over the last couple of years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom S View Post

They're just wrapping up beans in Southern Ontario as well. I hope for their sake it's all off now, we just had our first dusting last night. They had a heck of a time getting it in because of rain, then a beautiful growing season, and now it's tough to get it off again. Lots of corn still in the fields to. The winter wheat crop was great if it had been planted in time, and I couldn't believe the amount of straw coming off some of the fields. Hope all you guys get an easier year in 2020, you've had enough to deal with over the last couple of years.
                        Thanks Tom,hope your guys get finished harvest.We are downsizing our acres hopefully ,don't need the extra work.The last 4 harvests in my area would all go in records books I would think for being challenging.The excessive moisture we add this summer drowned out half of my Canola crop.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim The Grim View Post

I RETIRED 🥳
                          Congratulations Tim!

In no time at all you'll be wondering how much you got done at home while holding down a full time job.
                          Seems that after a while, knowing you have so much free time you have available to do all of those odds and ends, that nothing gets done. Because you now have sixteen projects on the go instead of just three that do get done.

Hope you enjoy life in the slow lane!
                          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

• Finally found some time last night to get back to my 3d printer. The Anet A8 has received a lot of bad press over the internet for being a "firestarter" due to the stock firmware having no thermal runaway protection so before I started anything I thought I'd re flash the firmware to Marlin. Not being a "computer" guy I watched countless videos and read numerous how-tos outlining the procedure. Thinking I had it down I went for it and promptly bricked (as the cool kids say) my board. Not sure what I did wrong, but I ran out of patience last night trying to figure out why or how. I found a couple more videos explaining how to fix the bootloader with an arduino, so I might look down that avenue. If it's totally screwed I'll just upgrade the board to something else, or maybe buy a resin printer.

When I get home today I need to do some work on replacing the tongue of my new to me snowmobile trailer. I need to get back to the mechanical things I'm good at instead of playing around in computer land. lol We got our first dusting of snow yesterday so I want to have everything ready to go for when we get some more. Can't wait to get more snow, and for the lakes to freeze up.

Comment

• Today, is my last day at work. I’m retiring from Qualcomm after 30 years of being a staff engineering technician here. It’s been a great run and a wonderful place to work but at 66 it’s time for a new chapter. Hopefully I’ll get more shop time in (if the real boss allows 😉). I mainly lurk here but perhaps I’ll have some projects worth posting. In the meantime, have some cake.
                              Bill
                              San Diego, CA

Comment

• Trying out the new photo upload system...

Made a 5-layer turners cube on the lathe the other day. Took about 4 hours but could probably do another in 2. Looks nice and impresses non-machinists to no end.

Comment

Working...
                                X