No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I used t keep close tabs on my power usage much as you are doing. I even was able to get a person at MP&L ( Mississippi Power and Light) to give me all the components that make up the cost per KW. Every few days I would read my meter and plug the reading into a spreadsheet I had designed, and it would calculate the electric bill to date. I did this for about ten years, then one day realized that none of this was making a damn other than to create frustration for me. The power company has no competition in this area, so the bill is what ever they decide to charge. I just pay it and try not to worry about it.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

• Originally posted by 754 View Post
      Pension ? You look like you are 46...
      Thanks. I get it from my mom. People often guess that she's in her 60s despite being 87. Your guess is off by ~20 years.

Originally posted by Dave-C
      then one day realized that none of this was making a damn other than to create frustration for me.
      I was dubious about the value of the SmartMeter that was forced upon us 5 or 6 years ago. A couple years ago I looked at the power usage and was astounded to see that we were using a minimum of one kilowatt of power 24 hours a day every day. I've reduced electricity use by 50% without changing the lifestyle much. The result is that my yearly bills have not gone up much despite the doubling (or more) in electricity prices since 2012.

Dan
      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

• Originally posted by danlb View Post

Thanks. I get it from my mom. People often guess that she's in her 60s despite being 87. Your guess is off by ~20 years.

I was dubious about the value of the SmartMeter that was forced upon us 5 or 6 years ago. A couple years ago I looked at the power usage and was astounded to see that we were using a minimum of one kilowatt of power 24 hours a day every day. I've reduced electricity use by 50% without changing the lifestyle much. The result is that my yearly bills have not gone up much despite the doubling (or more) in electricity prices since 2012.

Dan

Dan up here in the colder climate it's more difficult to reduce power consumption,I try to reduce where possible.As a example having engine block heaters on timers don't work well ( large diesels engines in trucks and tractors)when temps are in -30 to -40 they are plugged in constant when needed.
        I have noticed huge saving more on NG than power with having building well insulated,my shop built in 2010 R40 walls R60 ceilings and heated concrete floor on stryrofoam.

Comment

• Smart meters are good for the power company, not so good for the home or small business owner. Being able to charge various rates based on time of day and total Kw used in those time slots makes them more money. Having to switch tasks like shop work, laundry, etc. into the evening or early morning hours when rates are lower isn't very convenient and often impossible. As Tundra pointed out, some loads are 24/7, others loads like circulating pumps don't get scheduled based on Kw cost, they run as needed.

So how did a demand meter reduce your total Kw consumption?

Comment

• Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
            Smart meters are good for the power company, not so good for the home or small business owner. --SNIP--

So how did a demand meter reduce your total Kw consumption?
            It's true that the utilities will use every trick that they can to maximize profits. As I noted, there are 106 tariffs on file for PG&E. That's 106 different ways to charge for the same basic service.

In my case, MY hourly usage is visible on the PG&E web page. The data goes back over 6 years. It showed that I was not using power where I thought that I was.

I assumed that the bit devices (projection TV, Heater, A/C, etc) were running up the bill. I found instead that much of my computing infrastructure was using a lot of power. I had a desktop PC that was rebooted only when there was a new kernel release. I had a small mail/web server that was rebooted only after a power failure. I had 4 Tivo DVRs... or was it 5???? My wife insisted that the kitchen and bedroom remain lighted in the afternoon and evening. A hundred watts here, 2 hundred there, it eventually adds up.

The oldest Tivos were retired. We only have two now, but they can record 10 shows at a time so that's OK. The desktop PCs goe to sleep. The web server is now a 10 watt Raspberry Pi. The TV is now an LED flatscreen. Most of the lights are LED. Most lighting is on a HA system that lights the areas we are in, and turn off the lights when the area is vacant.

Dan
            Last edited by danlb; 11-30-2019, 09:29 PM. Reason: Completely rewritten when I realized that I had answered a question that was not asked.
            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

• They have been pushing smart meters in the UK for some time with some despicable advertising aimed at pensioners using the 'benefit your grandchildren ' ploy. They pushed a meter change appointment on me - then didn't turn up. Then the gas meter did the same and it turned out needed a connection to the electricity mains supply that he was unqualified to do because I've got 3 phase.
              As an exercise I had a think about what I would do if I was running off solar and a wind generator as the wind dropped in the evening. What is my 'vital minimum load'. I decided I needed a small LED light plus radio plus laptop plus modem if I had say 50W being generated, Then I could cut the light, next shift the radio to a small transistor, run the laptop off the battery, but the modem is a greedy 10W load. I would have to have a program to power up the modem for short periods to suck down various forums new content to read over an hour or so until the next modem cycle. Nowadays I am more addicted t being online than I used to be watching TV. As it is running on grid power I tend to turn off everything when I go to bed but leave the modem on.

Comment

• What did you do today?

You did ask so?? I am off the hook for what I say.

I ate a bunch of leftovers that I made, drank a lot of beer and smoked a fair amount of pot. Thats what I did today.

I am pretty sure if it doesn't rain tomorrow I will do much worse

I love you folks cause you are not all judgy. JR
                My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

• JR, are you getting the rain down there that we're seeing? So far we've just had a few days of intermittent but steady rain, but we're going to see what they're now calling an "atmospheric river" which means huge amounts of rain dumped on us. This used to be called the "pineapple express" - lots of warm rain.

So up here we're out of the fire season. Whew. How about down there?

-js
                  There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

• Had to fix my propane furnace myself over the last couple of days - local repair folks were 'booked up' until late December - :-0 . While we've had a mild winter so far, it's still well below freezing at night - a month without at this time of year in the Yukon is just not an option. Even getting a replacement assembly flown in will take almost a week.
                    Turned out to be a failed bearing on the draft induction fan. Fortunately the motor itself didn't burn up, but had to channel Sir John for a bit to figure out how to get the old bearing off the shaft. Couldn't budge it with my best puller - ended up [carefully!] scoring it with a cut-off wheel and fracturing the inner and outer parts.
                    Fortunately, the local bearing place had a replacement, so we have heat again.
                    Last edited by YukonHam; 12-01-2019, 11:12 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by YukonHam View Post
                      ...and fracturing the inner and outer parts.
                      (Snarky British-accented voice heard coming down eerily from above: "Clumsy bahstid.")

Seriously though, great job YH; ya' gotta love those successful emergency repair jobs. Way to go dude!

Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

• Put up some christmas lights. Doesn't show very well though.

Cats where enjoying the snow too

Comment

• By the way you know what is really annoying, and it seems to happen to me a lot. When you single point thread something and you try so hard to go carefully and only take a little a time, just a clean up cut and I'll have a nice fit... And it suddenly takes a huge cut and the thread is sloppy. I am very careful to return the cross slide to 0 and I only moved the compound a little. Yet it took a bigger cut the last time for some reason. Makes me dread threading.

Comment

• DennisCA How rigid is your lathe? Could you try just plain plunging with the cross slide rather than angling with the top slide? One less thing that could cause you problems.

Comment

• For it's size (9" roughly) I always thought it was very rigid. I've never tried using just the cross slide but maybe worth a try.

Comment

• The reason for the 29.5 degree compound setting is so that the cutter is supported by the right-hand edge in the existing thread, while most of the cutting is on the left side. If you plunge in at 0 degrees, cutting happens on both sides, and if there is any play between the tool and the leadscrew, the thread can wander.
                                http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                                Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                                USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Working...
                                X