What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
    Made a shift knob for the plow jeep. ...
    Perfect solution! One hand on the wheel & the other on the shift/winch. One of those "It's so obvious, but no one's done it before" things. It could be a business opportunity if it weren't so easily copied.

Comment

• I got my prescheduled nap accomplished on time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post

Perfect solution! One hand on the wheel & the other on the shift/winch. One of those "It's so obvious, but no one's done it before" things. It could be a business opportunity if it weren't so easily copied.
        I though of it last winter only after about 4 years of trying to hold the switch in my hand along with the shift knob at the same time. Only got around to doing it now. Some things just take time . I wish I would have made it a bit bigger, but sometimes it's tough to get things like that right the first time. Sitting on the couch modeling it, while holding calipers to my hand. The wife was a bit worried about my metal health for a while. Was going to make one out of playdough to pull measurements from, but didn't have enough of one kind, and my daughter (5) told me in a very stern voice "DAD, you're not allowed to mix colours) lol.

Comment

• That's when you take the little girl to the kitchen and teach her how to make playdough at home. Call it Home Ec and get something going.

BTW, don't attempt to substitute drywall mud for impressions. Mud is for other jobs.
          Last edited by Franz©; 12-23-2019, 07:12 PM.

Comment

• We've made playdough before, but I had to draw the line....seems every project I do lately requires me to make a thing before I make a thing. Kids are funny though, they only remember the rules when they get to enforce them on others lol.

Comment

• Designed, printed X,Y, and Z homing switch mounts and drilling jigs for each axis for my CNC mill. These are temporary until I machine aluminum versions.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	20191224_000757.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	1844860Click image for larger version

Name:	20191224_000716.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	2.41 MB
ID:	1844862Click image for larger version

Name:	20191224_000624.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	1844861

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                We've made playdough before, but I had to draw the line....seems every project I do lately requires me to make a thing before I make a thing. Kids are funny though, they only remember the rules when they get to enforce them on others lol.
                Having to find things, make things, fix things before you can start the job is just part of the game.

Getting chewed up by a kid, you grin a little, hopefully not enough to be seen by the kid and thank your lucky stars the crumb cruncher listens, retains and knows when it's applicable to spit it back. If you can keep that going you own the world and the kid grows into a superstar. Only absolute is NEVER lie to a kid, they can process and understand "I don't know lets find out" but they ever catch you lying it's game over. I learned that years ago from a 7 year old who would never be 8. He knew it, and all the kids in the camp knew their reality. There was no need to discuss it, and any adult who lied to them was done from then on.

Playdough is a wonderful substance, works well as a gauging material, and you can whip up a batch quick with flour, salt and oil, Cream of Tartar optional. A man who can and will make playdough stands very tall in a population of crumb crunchers. You become a King if you can switch production to silly putty as the ingredients are pulled out and handed to you. If cornered with gallons of liquid starch by an adult I'd explain it worked as well as Green Slime in tubeless tires and was 10 times cheaper.

Comment

• We're in Lincoln, Nebraska visiting my daughter and her family, and spent yesterday afternoon touring the Air Force Strategic Air Command & Aerospace Museum, in Ashland. If you are ever out that way, and you are into aviation, drop in and check it out. You won't be disappointed. I could have spent the whole day in there. For starters, the first plane you'll see is an SR71 Blackbird. WOW! WWW.SACMuseum.org
                  Last edited by Dave C; 12-24-2019, 02:00 PM.
                  “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

• I shall take this opportunity, whilst both sane and sober (there will shortly be both mother and in-laws!) to wish everyone a happy Christmas. Hope you all get something nice for the shop!

Comment

• replaced the brake pads, flushed the brake fluid, rotated the tires and changed the low beam bulbs in preparation for a road trip to see family.

Also started making a speed handle for my mill vise, which I'm very much looking forward to using.

Comment

• Put a new grind to fit recoil pad on my Model12. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0730.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	2.40 MB
ID:	1844944
                        Attached Files
                        I cut it off twice; it's still too short
                        Oregon, USA

Comment

• Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                          replaced the brake pads, flushed the brake fluid, rotated the tires and changed the low beam bulbs in preparation for a road trip to see family.

Also started making a speed handle for my mill vise, which I'm very much looking forward to using.
                          Matt I use Tri Ball handles on my Drill Press and Hex on vise that can be tightened more if needed.
                          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• thanks for the pic TTT - this is more what I'm aiming for
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	7354875-24.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	1844996

the hexes are going to be provided by 12mm sockets pressed+glued into the body. Just need to make the outer part of the handle, then the body and outer handle will get anodised. Not much more work to do, but lots of little jobs that all need to be just so.

Comment

• I "discovered" that .1mm is a lot smaller than .1 inch. The DRO on my mill was in mm mode not inch mode. I used an edge finder to find the corner of a part and then moved the cutter .75 inches. in the mid of the move discovered the mm setting and changed it to the inches setting. After drilling and reaming the desired hole I placed my 1.5 filing buttons in place and "O CRAP" . It was time to quit for the day.

Pete

Comment

• Originally posted by Tungsten dipper View Post
                                Installed a laundry sink in my shop.
                                I had a sink in my last shop. Cross country move, love the new home, shop in second two-car garage, no sink. I do miss it but there's no water in the new shop, and putting in a drain line would be alot of work. I'm considering a sink with a 5 gallon bucket "drain."

Comment

Working...
                                X