No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had a go at turning a 1/2"-13 internal thread. I think I can say I failed. Even think I know why but I wouldn't swear to it. Drilled it 10.5mm which I think may be a little small and then I think I ran out of clearance on the only internal threading tool I had that was small enough to fit in the bore.....so I ordered a tap for a fiver *shrug*

Comment

• Installing D-sub connectors in a plexiglass box for an electronics project. plexiglass is unforgiving, any error can be seen in 3 dimensions. made a template for drilling holes for the radiuses at the corners. the trick is, drill the corners, tie the angled lines together with a hand held coping saw, tie the long sides together with a dremel, and file until it fits. in theory...

site won't let me upload a file with extension .odg

Comment

• Originally posted by AD5MB View Post
        site won't let me upload a file with extension .odg
        Looks like a LibreOffice Draw document. You'd need to export it as a jpeg from File > Export.

Gotta love the file, check for fit, wash-rinse-repeat loop.

Comment

• Looks like a LibreOffice Draw document. You'd need to export it as a jpeg from File > Export.

Gotta love the file, check for fit, wash-rinse-repeat loop.
          What happened: The European Union had their fill of Microsofts sell a product, saturate the market, make a puny little change in the format requiring users to buy a new variation in a couple of years business model. EU came up with a new policy: there will be an open source stable format, and anyone selling software in the EU will include support for that open source format. IMHO that is the one thing the EU got entirely right.

The thing is you can fuss, fiddle, fine tune, write protect, and it still comes in slightly different every time you print. A clever guy will include dimensions in the never truly finished document, so the end user can verify that it is correct, or tweak the dimension creep out of it. so an ODG attachment makes sense, and a JPG attachment is of little use.

Comment

• You can get around the file extension limitation by appending ".txt", which the user can then remove once downloaded. Or just put it in a compressed file format ".zip".
            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• Originally posted by AD5MB View Post
              What happened: The European Union had their fill of Microsofts sell a product, saturate the market, make a puny little change in the format requiring users to buy a new variation in a couple of years business model...
              There was more to it than selling upgrades. The Office binary file formats are a nightmare. This is a good read if you have a few minutes. Joel worked on Excel at one point https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2008/...e-workarounds/

Comment

• That is pretty insane. And that article was from 2008. I wonder how the new .docx and .xlsx files are in comparison. At least Libre Office seems able to import them, and I'm pretty well satisfied with their Open Office applications (except for MSAccess database files).
                http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• Actually, I have some docx files that my just downloaded copy of libreoffice will NOT import. All I get is a partial of the full document, that looks very strange indeed.

The MSWord preview teaser on my new win10 box shows it perfectly, however. Of course.

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

• Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                    [SIZE=16px]I wonder how the new .docx and .xlsx files are in comparison.
                    You can find out for yourself. The newer XML formats are actually .zip files. If you change the extension to .zip, you can open them and see the contents. The format is an ISO standard, and I think Microsoft released the specifications at the time. Never needed to look at them, but I bet they are still complicated to support all the features in Office.

Comment

• Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                      Actually, I have some docx files that my just downloaded copy of libreoffice will NOT import...
                      Try opening it in WordPad. Then maybe save to .odt or .rtf and open in LibreOffice?

Comment

• finished up a couple of BUGLs - Butt Ugly Garage Lights. I needed to even up the lighting in my workshop half of the garage and put a bit more light over my work bench so repurposed a ~5' length of 3/8x 1 1/2" alu I found at the side of the road into a couple of lights. One was a rebuild of an existing light, funnily enought the first one I built some 8 or 9 years ago, other was new.

Old BUGL
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3061.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	1849493

rebuilt BUGL - 4 Nichia 119 LEDs ~4000K 90CRI and ~350mA each. 400 lumens maybe? Nice light quality though - it's a bit whiter than it looks in the pic.

Name:	IMG_9080.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	1849494

new BUGL with Cree CXA1304 COB LEDs, 4000K with 1 80CRI and 1 90CRI LED. 900mA in parallel, so should be around 850lm or so. Not super bright, but very even light right over my bench.

Name:	IMG_9078.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1849495

Name:	IMG_9079.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1849496

now I can get back to the projects I should have been doing..

Comment

• Freaked my kid out by consulting Machinery's Handbook - the physical, paper large (-er) print edition. He couldn't handle the fact there are just shy of 3000 pages in it.
                          Also, I now know just how far off I was with my first 'guess' AND second lookup of correct tap drill size for 1/2-13. Explains a lot!

Comment

• I finally got enough of the Brooks grinder spindle parts done to test fit everything together. This spindle is rather unconventional compared to most Brooks grinder setups, but it allows for 4 speeds and keeps the motor out of the way of the work area on the X-Y table.

1st photo = Spindle (8 degree female taper)
                            2nd photo = Machining the crown on the cone pulley
                            3rd photo = The parts (there are two Belleville washers in the left end for pre-load)
                            4th photo = The assembly

I still need to make the small spindle drawbar, spindle nut, and some wheel arbors.

Comment

• watched youtube machining videos and read some of the King-Way scraping class materials (I am going to class in Apr) but didn't actually get into the shop to do anything useful, despite having a mountain of honey-do clean up tasks to get through...
                              -paul

Comment

• Ordered some electronics for some projects, made some lures, plowed the driveway, then went for the first snowmobile ride of the year. Just did the local loop out to the gas station for some fresh go juice and played around in the forest for a bit, but it was nice to clean the cobwebs out of both me, and the sled. Only 51kms, but it's a start. Winding down with some whiskey now in preparation for the nightmare project that awaits me in the morning at work. Tomorrow should be the end of it. Hopefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X