Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Replaced the front rotors on a friend's ram 2500 van that were warped. First side took a couple of hours due to the pita pad retaining pins that stop tha caliper from sliding off. Had to use a Wilson bullet vise to push the pistons back into the caliper (didn't have a c clamp big enough) before the caliper would come off. All done now and no more vibration under braking. Plus I got 2 big bags of Lindt chocolates and a set of large 1/2" drive Allen sockets for my troubles. Saved her $500 which was pretty neat.

    Comment


    • Finished this dial indicator stand for my mill. It was a microphone stand that was in the dumpster. I cleaned it up and made the quick lever nuts for adjustment as the others were missing. Uses a 3/8" T nut and all- thread to the table. I'm looking forward to using it this weekend for a project.

      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200122_185952867.jpg Views:	33 Size:	760.5 KB ID:	1850667

      Anyway, I enjoyed making this project this evening after work. had to share!

      TX
      Mr fixit for the family
      Chris

      After thinking about it last night, this is not very useful to indicate in any thing as all the movement is with the table and the indicator is fixed to the table.
      OH well it was a exercise in machining,. Might have to figure out how it might actually be usable some where else in the shop.
      Last edited by Mr Fixit; 01-23-2020, 10:56 AM. Reason: Bad dream last night.

      Comment


      • Get one of those cheapie magnetic indicator bases from Horror Freight, and fasten your post to the HF base.
        “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

        Lewis Grizzard

        Comment


        • Would make a great vice stop if you made a small cross rod to go where the indicator does. Worked with a guy years ago who had one similar, and always wanted to copy it.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
            Would make a great vice stop if you made a small cross rod to go where the indicator does. Worked with a guy years ago who had one similar, and always wanted to copy it.
            Cross rod is already there. He hung the indicator holder on it.
            “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

            Lewis Grizzard

            Comment


            • Dan D, Dave C,

              Do you guys mean something that would be perpendicular to the vise as a stop or parallel more in or above the jaws? I can see the smaller shaft that has the indicator mount as a direct stop in the parallel position, is this what your suggesting? Good idea, I'll have to try it.

              TX
              Mr fixit for the family
              Chris

              Comment


              • Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                Replaced the front rotors on a friend's ram 2500 van that were warped. First side took a couple of hours due to the pita pad retaining pins that stop tha caliper from sliding off. Had to use a Wilson bullet vise to push the pistons back into the caliper (didn't have a c clamp big enough) before the caliper would come off. All done now and no more vibration under braking. Plus I got 2 big bags of Lindt chocolates and a set of large 1/2" drive Allen sockets for my troubles. Saved her $500 which was pretty neat.
                I use a large screwdriver or prybar inserted in the brake disc cooling fins to lever the sliding caliper over which pushes the piston back. I do it before loosening any bolts or retainers. Once I get enough clearance then I pull the caliper. Opening the bleed valve makes it easier by letting the fluid escape instead of pushing it all the way back to the master cylinder. If I am replacing the pads I lever the caliper all the way over until the piston is fully retracted. BTW, I have a Ram B3500 (1 ton) van, everything is hefty on those big Ram vans.

                Comment


                • thanks, didn't think of that, but yes sticking a pry bar through the caliper and levering it to the outside would have done the job. To be honest, most of the time was spent going "why the .... won't this damn caliper come off". Once I saw a couple of pins sticking out of the back of the non-piston pad the penny dropped and it was pretty quick after that. I guess they're to prevent the pads from falling out or something. Weird that the replacement pads didn't have the pins, though we ended up reusing the OE pads as they had so much life left in them.

                  Definitely bigger parts than the cars I've worked on

                  Comment


                  • Just a word of caution on the levering brake calipers back: some vehicles require a special tool to screw the piston back in rather than just pushing it. I found this out when massively overthinking things ("How unusual" I hear you say!”) only to find that mine doesn't need it......and then that I had plenty of pad left, you just couldn't see it.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Mr Fixit View Post
                      Dan D, Dave C,

                      Do you guys mean something that would be perpendicular to the vise as a stop or parallel more in or above the jaws? I can see the smaller shaft that has the indicator mount as a direct stop in the parallel position, is this what your suggesting? Good idea, I'll have to try it.

                      TX
                      Mr fixit for the family
                      Chris
                      I meant another snug down at the end (where you mount the indicator) to hold a 3/16"-1/4"rod to use as a part stop for the vise (3 rods total). The 2 snugs and 3 rods let you move it in many different directions and orientations. Guy I worked with had his bolted to the table to the left of the vise and behind the fixed jaw, and it was able to swing in and out and be adjustable anywhere in a matter of seconds. Being behind the path of the jaw meant you could swing it out of the way for long through parts, and it was also short and only stuck up about 4". It wasn't in the way for many operations, and didn't get removed from the table much. Much nicer than a stop that clamps on the jaws in some ways. It wasn't strong enough to be slamming parts against it all day long doing high production, but in our environment of maybe doing 4 similar parts, then 6 different parts, etc it was perfect and saved a lot of time. Just another different arrow in the quiver.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Mr Fixit View Post
                        Finished this dial indicator stand for my mill. It was a microphone stand that was in the dumpster. I cleaned it up and made the quick lever nuts for adjustment as the others were missing. Uses a 3/8" T nut and all- thread to the table. I'm looking forward to using it this weekend for a project.

                        Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20200122_185952867.jpg Views:	33 Size:	760.5 KB ID:	1850667

                        Anyway, I enjoyed making this project this evening after work. had to share!

                        TX
                        Mr fixit for the family
                        Chris

                        After thinking about it last night, this is not very useful to indicate in any thing as all the movement is with the table and the indicator is fixed to the table.
                        OH well it was a exercise in machining,. Might have to figure out how it might actually be usable some where else in the shop.
                        I got one of those in the scrap yard and use it as a vise stop.
                        Helder Ferreira
                        Setubal, Portugal

                        Comment


                        • You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
                          I cut it off twice; it's still too short
                          Oregon, USA

                          Comment


                          • Looks like I lost the message on my post. I built a cart for my buddy's bandsaw.
                            I cut it off twice; it's still too short
                            Oregon, USA

                            Comment


                            • It's in the image text: "I built this cart for my buddies new bandsaw. It's 2x2x1/8" angle."
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?photoid=1851035.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	1851051

                              Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?photoid=1851036.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	1851052

                              http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                              Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                              USA Maryland 21030

                              Comment


                              • Found this USSR - made mic in a used tool shop today, 0-25mm. Heaviest mic I've ever held, built like a tank

                                Cayuga, Ontario, Canada

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X