No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a week of vacation and today the family and my parents decided to go into the woods, there are loads of trails and places to go around here. This was one near my parents place that is pretty boggy, you walk for a kilometer or so from the starting point and end up at a tiny lake with some buildings, and there is another trail around it that's maybe 3-4 km.

Arriving at the lake / bog. Finland is bog country, the word suomi comes from an ancient word for bog it is believed.

There's a building called a "Goahti" in english (says wikipedia) with a fireplace and free wood (you may donate some cash in a box if you want to)

Kids enjoying playing with fire.

Grilling some sausages and having hot cocoa.

This is all extremely unusual scenery for the season let me tell you. Normally I'd expect everything to be covered under a meter of snow this time of year. This has been the warmest winter I can remember... Still at least the sun is coming back, sunset around 18:00ish now which feels more normal than 15:00.

Comment

• Yeah... I was thinking it was awfully green.... It snowed sort-of here today.... we got rain mixed with ice-balls. Up north there is snow, and that is only at 45 deg N, you are far further

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

• Nice scenery. Those forest pics look like they could have been taken around here. We've still got snow, but looks like winter is coming to a close. I'll be tapping trees this week, and all of march looks like great sap running weather. Was so nice out yesterday I was making some cup and rod holders for my ice hut outside wearing shorts. Just some quick and dirty fab work from salvaged 1/4" rod. I assure you, no dimensions were harmed during their making . I made 2 sets, and they can be mounted on either side with a quick thumbscrew.

I'm going to bend the rod holder out a bit to clear the bracket, but they should be handy. Had to replace all the carriage bolts that pivot the frame too, as last time I was out 3 of them sheared the heads off. Nice shelter otherwise, but such cheap fasteners.

Comment

• Dan I like your rod holder! After losing a rod thru the ice, it's nice to see you won't.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tungsten dipper View Post
            Dan I like your rod holder! After losing a rod thru the ice, it's nice to see you won't.
            I've lost one before also. But I've also caught a couple over the years, so I'm "up a few" . One of the ones I caught was a buddies who lost it the night before. I caught a lake trout the next day, and as I was bringing it up the hole I noticed more line hanging out of it's mouth so I started pulling and eventually pulled his rod in. Kept the rod and gave it back, but released the fish. He was pretty happy to have it back as it was an expensive reel. I only use cheap stuff as you can see on my ice gear. Not worth the risk of losing/breaking good stuff. I've got these 2 coming out with me more now so I'm bound to lose a few more now lol. Maybe a tether system is in order.....hmm

Comment

• Most people would say that sounds like a fish story. Iv'e fished for a lot of years and seen things like this happen. I have caught my friends fish a
              that broke his line in the hole next to me. The fish wrapped around my line and I hook a loop in his line, then caught the fish.
              I bet your kids loves to ice fish.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tungsten dipper View Post
                Most people would say that sounds like a fish story. Iv'e fished for a lot of years and seen things like this happen. I have caught my friends fish a
                that broke his line in the hole next to me. The fish wrapped around my line and I hook a loop in his line, then caught the fish.
                I bet your kids loves to ice fish.
                They loved it for about 30 minutes . The best part for them was the snowmobile ride out and back.

We used to rent hut on Lake Simcoe for perch fishing every year with a big group of guys. They were a pretty big outfit, and were a popular spot for a lot of people who only fished a few times a year. About every other year it seemed you could spot a rod down on the bottom of the lake (30-40 fow). When the bite got slow we'd fish for the rod. We'd all throw $20 into the pot and $5 of it went in the pot for first fish, $5 for most fish, $5 for biggest fish, and lastly $5 if you caught the rod lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                  We used to rent hut on Lake Simcoe for perch fishing every year with a big group of guys. They were a pretty big outfit, and were a popular spot for a lot of people who only fished a few times a year. About every other year it seemed you could spot a rod down on the bottom of the lake (30-40 fow). When the bite got slow we'd fish for the rod. We'd all throw $20 into the pot and $5 of it went in the pot for first fish, $5 for most fish, $5 for biggest fish, and lastly $5 if you caught the rod lol.
                  Was that with the outfit with the Bombardier B12 Snow Machines? Always interesting travelling over ice on a machine with an escape hatch in the ceiling.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom S View Post

Was that with the outfit with the Bombardier B12 Snow Machines? Always interesting travelling over ice on a machine with an escape hatch in the ceiling.
                    Yes, Floyd Hales. Pretty cool riding in one. I believe Floyd's all have flotation on them now too. The one year we went out, the ice was too sketchy for the bombardiers so they towed us out behind a snowmobile in a little covered sled with one little door at the back. There were 4 of us and 2 older Americans from the southern states sitting at the front who'd never been ice fishing before, and they were as white as a sheet of paper the entire ride out. It was a rough ride, and with all the big pressure cracks, and slush being kicked up at the window at the front was pretty unnerving. I haven't been up there in a few years, but would like to take the kids next year. I think they'd enjoy the ride out and back in one.

Edit: just remembered this. The last time we went out with Floyd's was about 7-8 years ago, and a couple days prior to us coming they had a bombi go through the ice (didn't sink, just broke through). They put a lot of work into making and maintaining the ice roads out to their fishing grounds, and every year they get lazy people who just follow the road out and start drilling holes to fish either on their road or just off it which both floods it, and weakens it. On our trip back in that day the guy stopped to chew out some guys on atvs that had done the same on one of their new roads in the afternoon. I was sitting up front so I got the whole rant/story the rest of the way in. One of my pet peeves while ice fishing is the guys that will come out and drill 30ft away from you on a wide open lake like you're on the only spot in the lake with fish.
                    Last edited by Dan Dubeau; 02-25-2020, 10:34 AM.

Comment

• That's the one. Quite the ride the first time you take it, and I also have some distinct memories of some pucker factor while crossing pressure cracks and wet areas. I had it one time that the throttle cable snapped when the driver came out to pick us up - engine at the rear with an aircraft cable running up to the driver seat. He handed me a pair of vice grips, sent me to the back, and told me that I was now the throttle for the ride back in. Trying to co-ordinate clutch and throttle between two people in a cab full of people was interesting, but we made it work.

Comment

• Spent 3 1/2 hours out in the shop sitting on one of those little HF pneumatic stools going through boxes of old & new motorcycle parts looking for a couple pieces I took off 49 1/2 years ago but know I still have. Found other stuff from that time frame but not the specific bracket. Not for me. A guy on another board is looking for one.

Wrote about Kero on the jet fuel thread.

Tonight I have a 100.4 temp, chills and some unpleasant activity going on. I hope it wasn’t that package from Banggood I got Saturday.
                        Illigitimi non Carborundum 😎
                        9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim The Grim View Post
                          Tonight I have a 100.4 temp, chills and some unpleasant activity going on. I hope it wasn’t that package from Banggood I got Saturday.
                          Might want to get that checked out if it keeps up, get into hospital or something.

Comment

• Completly diassembled the works of the largest street clock in Seattle. Now it is time to machine some new bushings and polish a lot of Brass.. There is a leak somewhere in the head of the clock and all the steel parts have rust issues. This will be a long slow project.

Comment

• DennisCA, thanks for the Finland pics. We were there in 2018 visiting our niece who married a Finnish guy and moved to Oulu from the Philippines. Really beautiful place. My mother’s family came over to Ohio from Finland a hundred years or so ago. I’d like to go back someday.

Bill
                              Bill
                              San Diego, CA

Comment

• Stepside, we have GOT to have pictures. I think you need to start a post on this, it sound truly fascinating.

TX
                                Mr fixit for the family
                                Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X