Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Those boulders are everywhere in the natural landscape. They where here when I got here and this plot was forested, we moved them a little. It's a leftover from the last ice age. If you start digging anywhere in the soil in Finland, chances are you will strike anything from relatively small stones to large hidden bouders.

    Comment


    • Downspout drop was plugged up with leaves and the gutter overflowed when it rains. Rather than put up a ladder and climb up there, I take the downspout apart and use a leaf blower to blow up the downspout. This dislodges the leaves and the built up water in the gutter then flushes the the debris out. It does result in a bit of a shower. When I installed the downspouts I used a fastener that I can just unscrew with one screw to take the downspout apart.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	Downspout work RS.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1868367

      Click image for larger version

Name:	Downspout clip RS.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1868368

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Ridgerunner View Post
        Downspout drop was plugged up with leaves and the gutter overflowed when it rains. Rather than put up a ladder and climb up there, I take the downspout apart and use a leaf blower to blow up the downspout. This dislodges the leaves and the built up water in the gutter then flushes the the debris out. It does result in a bit of a shower. When I installed the downspouts I used a fastener that I can just unscrew with one screw to take the downspout apart.

        Click image for larger version

Name:	Downspout work RS.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1868367

        Click image for larger version

Name:	Downspout clip RS.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1868368
        What are the white pvc pipes to the left of the downpipe.?

        Comment


        • Exhausts for the furnace(s).

          Comment


          • Originally posted by plunger View Post

            What are the white pvc pipes to the left of the downpipe.?
            Exhaust and combustion air intake for 2 of the furnaces.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by DennisCA View Post
              Those boulders are everywhere in the natural landscape. They where here when I got here and this plot was forested, we moved them a little. It's a leftover from the last ice age. If you start digging anywhere in the soil in Finland, chances are you will strike anything from relatively small stones to large hidden bouders.
              And some of them landed in interesting positions after the ice age like this 500 ton boulder:

              Click image for larger version

Name:	13-3-9768273.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	1868390
              Location: Helsinki, Finland, Europe

              Comment


              • Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

                My high current AC source. 30A continuous, and up to 60A short term.

                For higher than that, multiple turns. Clamp on one wire, read 40 A, clamp on two turns, read 80A, and so on. I usually do not need more than 10X, so 10 turns.

                You need to be careful, because the position of the wire, and the size of the wire relative to the clamp-on ring can make a difference. Usually not too large, but if you are going for precision, it can matter.

                I DO have an ancient "Columbia instruments" meter that will read AC or DC up to several hundred amps with no power source in the meter. It is a moving vane type.

                And I have on the list for repair, a small meter that will read DC amps, but it requires a mercury battery that is not available anymore. I need to make a micro-power regulator for it that gives the correct stable voltage from an available battery type.
                so your source is more accurate than the meter? you had to calibrate it somehow, no?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Ridgerunner View Post
                  Downspout drop was plugged up with leaves and the gutter overflowed when it rains. Rather than put up a ladder and climb up there, I take the downspout apart and use a leaf blower to blow up the downspout. This dislodges the leaves and the built up water in the gutter then flushes the the debris out. It does result in a bit of a shower. When I installed the downspouts I used a fastener that I can just unscrew with one screw to take the downspout apart.

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Downspout work RS.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1868367

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Downspout clip RS.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1868368
                  Your chimney looks damaged near the top. Did someone replace the furnace without adding a liner to the chimney? I did that and my chimney did the same thing. Natural gas and LP gas have a lot of moisture in them when they burn and the chimney will get wet and then freeze and pop the face brick off. You might be able to save whats left of it by adding a liner if that's the case.
                  OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

                  THINK HARDER

                  BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

                  MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by dian View Post

                    so your source is more accurate than the meter? you had to calibrate it somehow, no?
                    Si.....I have an accurate Fluke current probe, and a calibrated true rms Fluke meter. So I set current according to the probe/meter, I do not bother with the metering setup on the supply, although it does have one.
                    2730

                    Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

                    Everything not impossible is compulsory

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Ridgerunner View Post
                      Downspout drop was plugged up with leaves and the gutter overflowed when it rains. Rather than put up a ladder and climb up there, I take the downspout apart and use a leaf blower to blow up the downspout. This dislodges the leaves and the built up water in the gutter then flushes the the debris out. It does result in a bit of a shower. When I installed the downspouts I used a fastener that I can just unscrew with one screw to take the downspout apart.
                      .......
                      I did the reverse, I made a PVC extension pipe that screws together and has a nozzle on it that can be moved to different positions. I attach the hose to the bottom, and use the nozzle on the top end to blast clogs down the pipe, and blast clogs in the gutter out of it or down the pipe as well.

                      Much faster than getting an extension ladder out and moving it around, especially when the house has sloped ground around it, and garden areas, right where the bottom of the ladder needs to go. I can walk around with that and do the job quickly.

                      Part of the guttering, which is old time copper gutter, I have put the open-cell foam gutter protector in. That works quite well, that part of the system no longer causes trouble. It probably helps that both of the big trees near the house had to be cut down because they were starting to drop limbs. One ancient maple, and an oak which had a 6 foot diameter stump. The oak dropped leaves, and in the spring, that "oak chenille", and the maple dropped many thousands of seed whirlies as well as fall leaves. There is still one maple on the south side, plus a pine.
                      2730

                      Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

                      Everything not impossible is compulsory

                      Comment


                      • Click image for larger version

Name:	roller 1.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	893.6 KB
ID:	1868407Click image for larger version

Name:	roller 3.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	392.5 KB
ID:	1868408Click image for larger version

Name:	roller 2.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	867.1 KB
ID:	1868406Spent some shop time shortening my old Pexto slip roller from 30” to 13”. It resides on the floor and only comes up when needed. It was just getting too heavy to lift, plus in the 50 years I've owned it I never needed more than 12". The cut off parts weighed 39 lbs. Stu

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

                          I did the reverse, I made a PVC extension pipe that screws together and has a nozzle on it that can be moved to different positions. I attach the hose to the bottom, and use the nozzle on the top end to blast clogs down the pipe, and blast clogs in the gutter out of it or down the pipe as well.

                          Much faster than getting an extension ladder out and moving it around, especially when the house has sloped ground around it, and garden areas, right where the bottom of the ladder needs to go. I can walk around with that and do the job quickly.

                          Part of the guttering, which is old time copper gutter, I have put the open-cell foam gutter protector in. That works quite well, that part of the system no longer causes trouble. It probably helps that both of the big trees near the house had to be cut down because they were starting to drop limbs. One ancient maple, and an oak which had a 6 foot diameter stump. The oak dropped leaves, and in the spring, that "oak chenille", and the maple dropped many thousands of seed whirlies as well as fall leaves. There is still one maple on the south side, plus a pine.
                          That's a nice idea. More than one way to do things. Same thing here, oak leaves and maple seed whirlies.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by bborr01 View Post

                            Your chimney looks damaged near the top. Did someone replace the furnace without adding a liner to the chimney? I did that and my chimney did the same thing. Natural gas and LP gas have a lot of moisture in them when they burn and the chimney will get wet and then freeze and pop the face brick off. You might be able to save whats left of it by adding a liner if that's the case.
                            The chimney is just for a fireplace that is not used.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Stu View Post
                              Spent some shop time shortening my old Pexto slip roller from 30” to 13”. It resides on the floor and only comes up when needed. It was just getting too heavy to lift, plus in the 50 years I've owned it I never needed more than 12". The cut off parts weighed 39 lbs. Stu[/FONT]
                              Nice job Stu. I've got a 14" one I would have traded you Still got those cut offs? lol.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Stu View Post
                                ... I never needed more than 12". ...
                                Just wait ... next week you will

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X