Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by plunger View Post
    I finished my trolley for a transportable loadshedding device. ........
    Looks clean and good.

    Might you need ventilation? For the batteries, and maybe the inverter? Lithium batteries do not like getting hot, which they do on both charge and discharge.
    2730

    Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan


    It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

    Comment


    • The battery is not closed so I believe it will be okay.The battery charger and inverter are enclosed . I see the inverter comes on but its fans are triggered by the wattage drawn,not heat. The fans only kick on if you draw more than 500w. The victron battery charger is quite smart. I can see whats happening even if the box is closed. It has bluetooth so I can see what the amperage and voltage is. The lithium battery has a battery management system so Im hoping its clever enough to shut down if there are problems.I never draw more than 300w to drive my tv, satalite box a fan and a wifi and router.

      Because the country has come to a standstill we have no lack of power at the moment so I havent had loadshedding to test it . If it gets hot their should be no problem to just leave the box off. I made this trolley because as a plumber I need to drill holes and dont have a cordless drill. This setup will be able to assist me on building sites to overcome any loadshedding.

      The inverter is rated at 3000w but only delivers 1500w pure sine wave. Not enough for a 2200w angle grinder unfortunately.

      Comment


      • cool project plunger. What's the voltage and Ah rating of the battery? Got some solar panels to charge it back up with?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
          cool project plunger. What's the voltage and Ah rating of the battery? Got some solar panels to charge it back up with?
          Its 12v 180ah. No solar panels,this is just for low wattage use to keep us in the loop internet wise. I have been wanting to do a solar panel system with a bigger backup system but batteries are so expensive,especially lithium. But that will be a 48v system.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by plunger View Post

            Its 12v 180ah. No solar panels,this is just for low wattage use to keep us in the loop internet wise. I have been wanting to do a solar panel system with a bigger backup system but batteries are so expensive,especially lithium. But that will be a 48v system.
            how is fuel in SA?

            small Honda genset is hard to beat price-wise as long as you have gas available.

            Location: Helsinki, Finland, Europe

            Comment


            • Originally posted by MattiJ View Post

              how is fuel in SA?

              small Honda genset is hard to beat price-wise as long as you have gas available.
              There is no problem with petrol at the moment but this is whisper quiet. A generator would be ideal to take to site for a 9 inch grinder .But they are bulky.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by plunger View Post

                Its 12v 180ah. No solar panels,this is just for low wattage use to keep us in the loop internet wise. I have been wanting to do a solar panel system with a bigger backup system but batteries are so expensive,especially lithium. But that will be a 48v system.
                very neat, that's a serious li-ion battery there.

                Comment


                • Hand flew a 747 down to minimums into Anchorage a couple of hours ago.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                    Hand flew a 747 down to minimums into Anchorage a couple of hours ago.
                    What's that in layman's terms? Running low on fuel? Poor visibility? Skeleton crew? Minimum wage?
                    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

                    Location: SF East Bay.

                    Comment


                    • Fuel or visibility. Most likely the latter, the first would be poor planning and "hand flew" would make no sense.
                      2730

                      Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan


                      It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

                      Comment


                      • No. Decision Altitude before you have to initiate a go-around. i.e. minimum decent altitude you can go if you can't see the runway to land. It can make you sweat.

                        And "make no sense"? You assume instrumentation on the ground or in the plane were working. I "hand flew" to minimums many times when there was no precision approach available due to faulty or out of service equipment; many more simply because there was no precision approach.

                        RB - what were your minimums in the Anchorage case? Big plane.. I have a visual image of the wheels damn near on the ground when the cockpit window was scraping the bottom of the deck. urgh pucker time 😆
                        Last edited by lakeside53; 04-17-2020, 01:31 AM.

                        Comment


                        • Temperature 4 deg, dew point 4 deg. Heavy fog. It was a CAT1. I couldn't see anything then right at minimums, the lead in lights appeared. Hand flew as in the autopilot was off. I was lazy though and left the auto throttles on.
                          Picture a video game where you are moving a yoke keeping crosshairs centered, flying 150 mph in wooded terrain down to 100ft above the ground before you can see the runway.

                          No lead in lights, you go around, brief a Cat 2/3, let the autopilot land it.
                          It's actually quite rare to do this. Have over 2300 hours flying a 747, first time I did this down to mins not in the sim, hand flown.

                          Comment


                          • 100ft? nice... at least with fog you probably had still air, but,. kudos!

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                              No. Decision Altitude before you have to initiate a go-around. i.e. minimum decent altitude you can go if you can't see the runway to land. It can make you sweat.

                              And "make no sense"? You assume instrumentation on the ground or in the plane were working. I "hand flew" to minimums many times when there was no precision approach available due to faulty or out of service equipment; many more simply because there was no precision approach.

                              .......
                              If you can't see the runway, it is a visibility issue, no?

                              If a fuel problem it would seem to make "little sense" to mention hand flying.
                              2730

                              Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan


                              It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

                              Comment


                              • have it your own way 😊

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X