What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DennisCA View Post
    That's the swiveling portion of my milling machine table, this part swivels along the Yaxis.
    Ah, a different level of mill I feel. Mine used to swivel...but I stopped it by sorting out the Gibs!

Comment

• Yesterday I looked at my year old flat panel 55" TV and decided that instead of sitting there collecting dust (I gave up watching TV at end of December), maybe someone else would like to use it so I hauled it across the street to my very nice neighbours who were quite happy to have another one. Turns out it was their son's 16th birthday so I told them to tell him it was my birthday present to him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cenedd View Post

Ah, a different level of mill I feel. Mine used to swivel...but I stopped it by sorting out the Gibs!
        Tables are replaceable on deckels, mine had a table that can swivel in three axises. Pretty nifty but the downside is it's not as rigid. Most professionals prefer a fixed angle table I am told. You can also remove the table and put a variety of other accessories on the saddle.

Comment

• A while back my buddy painted a big snakes and ladders game on his driveway for his girls. He asked me to make some big wooden dice, and I finally got around to finishing them with some help from my minions. They are 1.5" and the last coat of 5 of polycrylic is drying now. Made him 5 and will keep 5 for us to play yardzee. #'s were "drilled" with a 1/4" ball EM.

Comment

• Rain stopped, so varnished the other side of the first pair of snowshoes. I was wrong, they are not from Maine, they are Tubbs, from Vermont. Must be 40 years old, they do not make 'em that way now.

Then went and pulled weeds. Yep, that means I am bored. Too nice to be in the shop.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

• Originally posted by Arcane View Post
              Yesterday I looked at my year old flat panel 55" TV and decided that instead of sitting there collecting dust (I gave up watching TV at end of December), maybe someone else would like to use it so I hauled it across the street to my very nice neighbours who were quite happy to have another one. Turns out it was their son's 16th birthday so I told them to tell him it was my birthday present to him.
              I got rid of my TV altogether now a few years ago. One of the best things I ever did for my sanity and peace of mind. I do lots of reading and studying instead, time permitting.
              25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

• Decided I'd had enough of this virus, all that goes along with it and related stresses it's brought. I didn't feel like finishing any other projects on my list and I just wanted to take something apart and be destructive so I started into my old car that's been sitting here waiting for the scrap yard for a few years. End goal is to yank the engine, and get the carcass out of here. I basically just want it for casting scrap, and to take something apart with the kids. They both love mechanical stuff, so it should be a good "home school" project. Had a good laugh when I pulled the airbox though.

That's a 10mm deep socket that's been hiding out under there for who knows how long.

Going to try and save anything that's cast aluminum and easy to salvage. Have a new toy on the way...

Comment

• Yesterday I was pulling a box off a shelf that I packed up 21 years ago this month, while moving from NJ to TX. As it started to disintegrate, I caught sight of some antique HD parts that a guy on another forum has been looking for for months. Today I packed them into one of those little flat rate boxes and I’ll brave a trip to the post office tomorrow.
                  Illigitimi non Carborundum 😎
                  9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Comment

• Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

I got rid of my TV altogether now a few years ago. One of the best things I ever did for my sanity and peace of mind. I do lots of reading and studying instead, time permitting.
                    That’s commendable. I would be hanging out at Charlie the Butchers eating Beef on Weck until I burst.
                    Illigitimi non Carborundum 😎
                    9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim The Grim View Post

That’s commendable. I would be hanging out at Charlie the Butchers eating Beef on Weck until I burst.
                      for some reason, I wish I knew what that meant.
                      san jose, ca. usa

Comment

• Building a table for my granite surface plate and to store an optical comparator.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6593.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	1872178

Comment

• Making Sima, kinda like the finnish version of small beer or ginger beer. Except lemons and brown sugar and raisins. Traditional for may 1st. Also funnel cakes.

Comment

• Today (well, yesterday, actually, but I'm still up), I found that my power cord reel, which had been on the porch, had been knocked off into the lawn, and the float charger for a battery had become unplugged. So I put the reel back on the porch and plugged in the wall-wart for the charger...

POOF! SIZZLE! Magic smoke and even flames started pouring out from the socket under the wall-wart, and there was no switch or circuit breaker handy to cut the juice. After maybe 10-20 seconds it subsided and the smoke gradually cleared. I went into the house and pulled the plug; then I removed the wall-wart, and found that one of the blades, to the hot (line) side of 120V, had completely melted, and finally acted as a fuse, although the hot wire also had broken off at the back of the socket. The 20A breakers never tripped. A postmortem of the wall wart showed that the transformer primary was still intact and read about 120 ohms. But the receptacle was badly damaged. It has rained quite a bit and the outlets may have been exposed to water, but everything appeared to be reasonably dry.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Wall_Wart_Burned_6317.jpg Views:	0 Size:	172.0 KB ID:	1872247
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	Wall_Wart_Burned_6319.jpg Views:	0 Size:	163.5 KB ID:	1872246
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	Power_Cord_Reel_6320.jpg Views:	0 Size:	144.3 KB ID:	1872248
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	Power_Cord_Reel_6322.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.8 KB ID:	1872249
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	Power_Cord_Reel_6324.jpg Views:	0 Size:	159.8 KB ID:	1872250
                            Last edited by PStechPaul; 04-29-2020, 03:11 AM.
                            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

yes, i wanted to get rid of tv long ago, but here we have to pay a substantial yearly (government) fee for tv/radio, even if we dont have one. so i never did it.

Comment

• Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                                [SIZE=14px]POOF! SIZZLE! Magic smoke and even flames started pouring out from the socket under the wall-wart, and there was no switch or circuit breaker handy to cut the juice. After maybe 10-20 seconds it subsided and the smoke gradually cleared. I went into the house and pulled the plug; then I removed the wall-wart, and found that one of the blades, to the hot (line) side of 120V, had completely melted, and finally acted as a fuse, although the hot wire also had broken off at the back of the socket. The 20A breakers never tripped. A postmortem of the wall wart showed that the transformer primary was still intact and read about 120 ohms. But the receptacle was badly damaged. It has rained quite a bit and the outlets may have been exposed to water, but everything appeared to be reasonably dry.
                                I think you're investigating the wrong thing there Paul. My concern would be why the breakers didn't trip and hence how long would it take for either parts of my body to melt enough to act as a fuse or alternatively whether unattended things would stop sizzling before they set light to the rest of the house! How old are the breakers and could you retrofit an RCD (or replace entirely with something that had one)? Glad everything's ok though.

Comment

Working...
                                X