No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes it is the Zebras............

Had to troubleshoot a neighbors water heater to figure out why it quit working, I took my multimeter and two screwdrivers with me. I started at the water heater and worked back to the panel. No power at the heater elements and no power at the thermostats, told me to check the breaker at the panel, no power on the breaker but 246.5VAC at the mains told me I had a bad breaker. Went and got a new breaker, installed it and tested the power at the heater elements and had 246.5 VAC at both of them, so I shut the power off and closed up the water heater. Turned the power back on and I could hear the elements start to heat the water. Closed the fiberglass blanket up and called it a day.
    Dan.

Comment

• I got a box delivered by UPS this afternoon, and inside is my new to me Fender SFX II Acoustasonic amplifier. This will be used for my new ukulele and since it has a second mic channel I'll be using it for playing bluz harp. Holeee crap does that thing project. It is intended for acoustic guitars that have have any of a variety of pickups installed, and I have a piezo pickup under the bridge of my uke, and have a Shure green bullet mic for the harps. Nice fit.

Comment

• I know this is pushing thread revival just a little...but this didn't seem to qualify for Shop Made Tools

I present the most expensive set of replacement wheels for a child's toy. Lovingly machined from 20mm ali bar* whilst taking the child's name in vain ** for breaking them....twice (glued them first time round) and then whining it was broken. "Tyres" are just O-rings - and mainly serve to stop tracks being made in every wooden surface within reach. There's a groove for them to sit in but I suspect I may have to find a glue suitable for 'user-proofing' the retention

*Why not a smaller piece for the axle resulting in less waste? To be honest, it only occurred to me when I was most of the way through that I could leave the axle at 6mm diameter rather than the original plastic part's 3mm and still have it fit in the middle. When I was planning for 3mm diameter, I didn't want to get into M1 screws!

**he's mine and I believe this is both normal and allowed - under parenting 10872.534 subsection 4!

Comment

• I've been working on an electronics project, a battery monitor system (BMS) for lithium cells and SLA batteries to maintain balance and safe voltages while charging and discharging. Here are five PCBs I bought for $15 each:

I used the wrong PCB decal for the PIC16LF15645, narrow instead of wide, so I had to bend the pins under the body and carefully solder it to the board:

I also had an Ortmaster to repair and calibrate. I am able to produce over 700 amps into the 1000 amp shunts on the unit and the one used for calibration. The Ortmaster can measure AC current on the 50 amp range to better than 0.25 amps, and as high as 10,000 amps for short duration pulses as required for recloser testing.

I also cut up much of the locust tree that had fallen across the power line and into my Cherry tree (saving my car). I have now split most of those logs and burned them in my woodstove.

http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
          Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
          USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• I spent several hours looking for a part that disappeared after parting it off. It was a spacer that goes under the rotor in a shop vac.

The little sucker flipped off the mandrel I was using for support and vanished. Well, I did get the lathe and surrounding area cleaned up before parting off a new spacer.
            “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

• heater core in a volvo. I'd rather eat worms.
              san jose, ca. usa

Comment

• I have not gotten diddly done in the shop aside from some planning (as seen in another thread).

Approving artwork, signs, meeting with people.... that is keeping me busy, but it is intermittent. Almost enough time to do something, then the next other obligation.... so all I have had time for is bugging people on here. Iy starts again tomorrow at 10AM for first meeting.

heater core, eh? isn't that one of those "almost accessible but not quite" deals? I have not had to do it, but I have seen where it is.
                Last edited by J Tiers; 01-13-2018, 01:00 AM.
                CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• What did I do today? What did I do? Why does my boss keep asking me that?

Comment

• I helped a friend with some cabinet work that he's doing. He's making a pair of 8 foot tall garage storage cabinets in exchange for a pair of diamond earrings for his wife. The jeweler likes trading trinkets for labor. Keeps the friend busy.

I don't really do much woodworking. My contribution is mainly in the line of "strong back" and a second set of eyes when things don't line up.

Dan
                    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

• I went up in the big city and bought a new Maytag dishwasher. All stainless steel inside and out. It's supposed to do everything but cook breakfast. It will be delivered Sunday (of all days). So, my plans for a new Kurt vise and/or a dividing head has been delayed again.

Comment

• Got up this morning to truck seed to seed cleaning plant -40 so postponed till warms up a bit,was -41 yesterday morning.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
                          Got up this morning to truck seed to seed cleaning plant -40 so postponed till warms up a bit,was -41 yesterday morning.
                          That's about as chilly as I'd like it to ever get.... the snow squeaks loudly under your feet, and sounds just "fall to the ground". Really sucks if there is any wind.
                          CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                          Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                          Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                          I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                          Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                            That's about as chilly as I'd like it to ever get.... the snow squeaks loudly under your feet, and sounds just "fall to the ground". Really sucks if there is any wind.
                            Yesterday morning was real nasty with 12 km wind and humidity weather channel said feels like -51 Celsius

Comment

• 50f here today, nice.. Tore apart a new (but not needed) conveyor section at work to take home a bunch of high end rollers for my saw table outrun. My "fee" was my roller score

Comment

• Today I made stew! We'll have it for family supper when I slip out to my buddy's acreage tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X