Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I really hate to admit failure, but back on post #5491 I was bragging on how I fixed my Non-cooling refrigerator/fr freezer. Well, today it failed again. The vents was covered with frost again and the freeze was at 19℉, should be 0℉. It would keep the refrigerator cold enough but not the freezer unit.
    I called a repair man to ask what the problem might be, he said the seals around the freezer door was probably leaking. After looking at the seal I might have to agree. With it being 19 years old they would not be available. So😭 after a couple of hours of internet searching I found one that would fit into the space we have. And $1950 later Home Depot will be delivering a new KitchenAid unit. Just as a second note: a lot of manufactures are Not producing products now because of the Covid-19 and stocks are very low. I really should not complain too much, 19 years is a pretty good run for today's appliances, like it or not.
    _____________________________________________

    I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
    Oregon Coast

    Comment


    • Originally posted by lugnut View Post
      I really should not complain too much, 19 years is a pretty good run for today's appliances, like it or not.
      I find it strange that you could not get a door seal. I thought they were basically standardized, off the shelf items. My fridge is old enough that it is lined with the textured aluminum. Works OK except you have to manual defrost it every 6 mos. Also can't find any shelves for it. Came with the house 10 yrs ago and I don't feel like shelling out for a new one.
      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

      Comment


      • Originally posted by lugnut View Post
        I really hate to admit failure, but back on post #5491 I was bragging on how I fixed my Non-cooling refrigerator/fr freezer. Well, today it failed again. The vents was covered with frost again and the freeze was at 19℉, should be 0℉. It would keep the refrigerator cold enough but not the freezer unit.
        I called a repair man to ask what the problem might be, he said the seals around the freezer door was probably leaking. After looking at the seal I might have to agree. With it being 19 years old they would not be available. So😭 after a couple of hours of internet searching I found one that would fit into the space we have. And $1950 later Home Depot will be delivering a new KitchenAid unit. Just as a second note: a lot of manufactures are Not producing products now because of the Covid-19 and stocks are very low. I really should not complain too much, 19 years is a pretty good run for today's appliances, like it or not.
        It sounds to me like your defrost timer was bad. I had one fail in the exact same way, and try as I might, the end result was the exact same, it hit the curb. So don't feel to bad, eh.

        I wired up a reversing starter today, which is way out of my comfort zone. Thank god I found a schematic, otherwise I would have had to bypass the electronic interlock and used way more wires than necessary. I hope it works.

        I also tried my hand as a 120v conductor. Copper is much better.
        21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
        1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

        Comment


        • Originally posted by lugnut View Post
          I really hate to admit failure, but back on post #5491 I was bragging on how I fixed my Non-cooling refrigerator/fr freezer. Well, today it failed again. The vents was covered with frost again and the freeze was at 19℉, should be 0℉. It would keep the refrigerator cold enough but not the freezer unit.
          I called a repair man to ask what the problem might be, he said the seals around the freezer door was probably leaking. After looking at the seal I might have to agree. With it being 19 years old they would not be available. So😭 after a couple of hours of internet searching I found one that would fit into the space we have. And $1950 later Home Depot will be delivering a new KitchenAid unit. Just as a second note: a lot of manufactures are Not producing products now because of the Covid-19 and stocks are very low. I really should not complain too much, 19 years is a pretty good run for today's appliances, like it or not.
          My Whirlpool American style fridge started to freeze the "no frost" freezer. Turns out that the defrost resistor thermostat was broken. When the regular thermostat stops the motor and fan on the evaporator, a small heating element melts any ice buildup around the evaporator. Without this heat, it will freeze and block the fan from circulating the cold air. The refrigerator side controls the temperature by opening and closing a way for the cold air from the freezer side.
          Helder Ferreira
          Setubal, Portugal

          Comment


          • I was kind of thinking about the problem was to do with the defrost system, but when you live 65 miles from any larger town It was going to cost a bunch to get someone here to check it out.
            And SHMBO said get a new one NOW, that is what happened. Home Depot will sell it to a repair place in Corvallis and I won't have to worry about coming home to house full of rotten food smell. When we moved here from Idaho 20 years ago we bought all new appliances, and that refrigerator was the last of that bunch to get replaced.
            _____________________________________________

            I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
            Oregon Coast

            Comment


            • Just doing some turning, when I look up and see this across the room

              Comment


              • DennisCA I have a very similar sort of 'problem'. I don't let him in the shop as it's usually lethal with tiny mill-splinters but the outbuilding is around 3/5 office and 2/5 'shop. He likes being in the office side lately. Only problem is that black cat on black carpet under black desks with black chairs......yeah, he gets shut in more than he'd like.

                Comment


                • Rotated the wheels on both cars, changed the oil in the van, completed my Boeing 777 CBT's, now going to a nephew's birthday party.

                  Comment


                  • Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200618_145920_917.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	2.58 MB
ID:	1882042 I pulled this beauty out of the river.

                    Comment


                    • Picked these up from a guy down the road. Both F2400's (4wd) from the mid 90's in pretty good shape, the one with the rops has brand new tires and a really good deck with 3300hrs. The deck on the other one is a bit gone, but it has 2700hrs. Both 60" decks (was hoping for a 72" but can't be that picky ) They've been sitting for 2 years after he bought a zero turn, but they both started up and ran great with no smoke. Should be the last mowers I buy for a while. Been looking for a good front deck for the last few years. A zero turn would be no good for my property, and I'm beating up the swisher tow behind I'm currently using.


                      He was asking $5000 (3 for the rops, and 2 for the other), but I got them both for $3000. HE was the one who haggled the price down .

                      I plan on making one really good one of the 2 for grass, and maybe putting a blower on the other for snow. Going to comb over them tomorrow and figure out a plan.

                      Comment


                      • Those look nice. Diesels? 2700 is a good amount of time for a mower IMO.
                        21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                        1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
                          Those look nice. Diesels? 2700 is a good amount of time for a mower IMO.
                          Yes, 24hp 3cyl diesel. They are commercial mowers and they should last me a very long time using them 3-5 hours per week around here. Plenty of life still left in them.

                          Comment


                          • Midsummer eve here and weather is absolutely gorgeous. Tried some fishing with no luck, doesnt really matter on nice day like this..
                            10pm and sun is going to set after hour or two.
                            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
                            Location: Helsinki, Finland, Europe

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                              Picked these up from a guy down the road. Both F2400's (4wd) from the mid 90's in pretty good shape, the one with the rops has brand new tires and a really good deck with 3300hrs. The deck on the other one is a bit gone, but it has 2700hrs. Both 60" decks (was hoping for a 72" but can't be that picky ) They've been sitting for 2 years after he bought a zero turn, but they both started up and ran great with no smoke. Should be the last mowers I buy for a while. Been looking for a good front deck for the last few years. A zero turn would be no good for my property, and I'm beating up the swisher tow behind I'm currently using.


                              He was asking $5000 (3 for the rops, and 2 for the other), but I got them both for $3000. HE was the one who haggled the price down .

                              I plan on making one really good one of the 2 for grass, and maybe putting a blower on the other for snow. Going to comb over them tomorrow and figure out a plan.
                              Good score Dan!

                              Comment


                              • I’m in the process of resurrecting a couple of those cheap China made benches.


                                I wanted to open the screw holes from 7mm to 11/32 and knew the cast iron was gonna be kinda nasty. Rather than sacrifice a good bit, I found a 15 or so year old HF made bit and sharpened it up. On the 12th hole through the grabby, crackley cast iron my Porter Cable 18 volt driver uncoiled it as you see here and bent it pretty well too. By the time I finished 48 holes I had straightened it in a vise 4 times by eye and it didn’t break and never lost its edge.



                                Tomorrow they get primed.
                                Illigitimi non Carborundum 😎
                                9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X