No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished up making a toolpost drill jig with bronze bushings.

Comment

• Crashed my lathe, stupid misstake, aren't they always?

Was using a stop for an earlier operation and once I was done I just moved it as far as it went, so it butted up against the norton gear box. I forgot to take into account that the saddle would hit it when I did some boring on a shorter part. I didn't understand just what had happened first after I shut off the lathe but then I saw it and went doh!

Fortunately the change gear did it's job and comitted suicide so the rest could live, it was a tufnol gear. Ordered a new one now from acetal.

Comment

• I should title this, "Check with your local hardware store before driving all over hell's half acre looking in the big box stores for what you need". Last Thursday I finished replacing the 30 gal. electric water heater in my Bil's 35 year old mobile home, 30 miles south of where I live. This job began on Tuesday, and I figured it would take most of the day. So I drove down there to see what it was going to take to get the job done, made some notes, then drove 70 miles North, to Lowe's where their on line info said they had the heater in stock. Of course, when I got there, there was no such animal in the store, so I'm off to Home Depot. To my surprise, I found a 40 gal heater there that would fit, but at a slightly higher price than what Lowe's had advertised. Next came the saga of rounding up the fittings it would take to adapt the PEX hot water line to the 3/4 NPT water heater's hot connection. Found a SharkBite adapter, that I had doubts about, but turned out to be just fine. https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBit...24LF/205545582 The cold water inlet connection was another story. This was going to take a 3/4 NPT to 1/2" PVC elbow to connect the PVC cold water inlet pipe to the heater's cold inlet, but that particular item was out of stock at HD. So it's back to Lowe's only to find it out of stock there as well. In order to finish the job with available fittings, I had to use an ell with both ends 3/4 NPT, and a reducer/adapter from 3/4 NPT to 1/2" PVC. On Wednesday, I drove back to the job site, and glued all the PVC connections, and added the SharkBite adapter. After waiting the required 2 hours for the glued joints to fully set, I managed to get the BIL to turn the water back on. On the hot side, the SharkBite connector that had me worried, was holding just fine, but on the cold side, a drop of water appeared at the threaded joint between the PVC reducer and the ell. Not much of a leak, but leaking just the same. The BIL found a disposable pie tin that would serve as a drip catcher until the next day. On Thursday, I went to a local hardware store and found the fitting that should have been used in the first place, and made another trip South to fix the leak. Moral of the story: Never try to rush a job, and always check with your local hardware store first to save yourself some grief.
        “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

• Got another swarm of bees. Cha ching. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200628_161215.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	4.56 MB
ID:	1883980

Comment

• Originally posted by challenger View Post
            Got another swarm of bees. Cha ching.
            There's a bunch of YouTube video's of guys removing wild bee hives. Absolutely amazing how docile the bees are. The guys are literally tearing apart the hives, without any protective gear (besides a little smoke), and are not stung. Fascinating.

Comment

Got another swarm of bees. Cha ching. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200628_161215.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	4.56 MB
ID:	1883980
              Looks like the bees are going to swarm.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tungsten dipper View Post

Looks like the bees are going to swarm.
                Does it? Because they landed there and moved into the box. Why do you say it looks like they are going to swarm?

BTW, those bees in front are 4" thick.

Comment

Does it? Because they landed there and moved into the box. Why do you say it looks like they are going to swarm?

BTW, those bees in front are 4" thick.
                  It depends if the they are coming or going. How can I tell from the pic?

Comment

It depends if the they are coming or going. How can I tell from the pic?
                    What do you mean? You are the one that said that they look like they GOING TO swarm????

Comment

• Calm down folks. It is quite reasonable to say "That picture looks like the way bees look when they are about to swarm if they are leaving the hive" but that's a lot to type. With that thought in mind, it's reasonable to instead type "Looks like the bees are going to swarm."

No need to for anyone to get (or sound ) upset.

Dan
                      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

• Originally posted by danlb View Post
                        Calm down folks. It is quite reasonable to say "That picture looks like the way bees look when they are about to swarm if they are leaving the hive" but that's a lot to type. With that thought in mind, it's reasonable to instead type "Looks like the bees are going to swarm."

No need to for anyone to get (or sound ) upset.

Dan
                        Upset? NEVER! Especially about bees; one of God's greatest gifts! Challenger is a good person for helping bees.

Comment

Upset? NEVER! Especially about bees; one of God's greatest gifts! Challenger is a good person for helping bees.
                          Thank you. I'm always looking to learn something new.

Comment

• Porked the Pooch
                            Did the set up work for these parts, the threading was the last operation.

As soon as the threading started I realized that I had programmed it right handed out of habit, by then it was to late to stop.
                            It is supposed to be a left handed thread.

Comment

• Sigh. And I suppose it’s a perfect part, too.
                              I feel your pain, don’t ask why.
                              I cut it off twice; it's still too short
                              Oregon, USA

Comment

• Sat in the 777 full motion sim today for the first time. Like it more than the 747.

Comment

Working...
                                X